Drive Our Reputation
We need our brand to stand out from the crowd, and our communications gurus make this possible. They are geniuses behind the bold, positive, and unique Kaiser Permanente brand. We need to add more outstanding public affairs experts to our exciting team to unleash their creativity and ensure our company's reputation accurately reflects the outstanding work we do.
Manager CommunicationsLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 769215 Date posted: 02/07/2019
- Initiates, develops and implements communications strategies and processes to support organizational objectives. Manages internal communications, working with stakeholders. Works with media relations specialists to protect organization's reputation and position Kaiser Permanente positively.
- Advises and consults with leadership and other key stakeholders to develop communication strategies, key messages and vehicles in support of specific programs. May convene and supervise cross-entity ad hoc teams.
- Participates in the development and execution of major organizational initiatives by serving as communication strategist. Coordinates messages, vehicles and communication policies (e.g., crisis communication plan). May serve as spokesperson to internal and external audiences.
- Develops, writes, and manages multiple communication channels and content, including intranet, e-zines, print materials, newsletters, digital signage, web, social media, video, texting, etc. Oversees editing, production and distribution. Researches, writes, and edits communications including area leader communications. Works with leaders to communicate information to our members.
- May serve as situation management and crisis communication leader. Works with area and regional communication managers to leverage communication efforts across the region in support of organizational objectives. Serves as key member of communication management team. Trains others in communication skills.
- Tracks key social, economic and industry issues that require communication planning; initiates appropriate plans.
- Manages communications and freelance staff.
- May share on-call media pager duty for Area. Position may require travel throughout the Northern California region.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Minimum seven (7) years of internal and external communication experience in a corporate, agency or health care setting.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience managing communication programs in large, multi-divisional organizations including previous experience as an internal/external spokesperson.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism or directly related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Significant knowledge of media and communication vehicles including print, broadcast, digital, and social media.
- Excellent verbal communication (public speaking and media relations) writing and editing skills.
- Proven project management and organization skills.
- Able to link organization objectives to communication planning.
- Participatory style, high energy, and a bias for action.
- Adept at working collaboratively in a team environment while also displaying independence, initiative and enterprise.
- Ability to maintain high productivity while balancing competing priorities and meeting strict deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Experience using marketing and promotion strategies in combination with effective community relations and communications.
- Master's degree preferred.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Communications Careers
Careers In Communications
Communications combines numerous interrelated departments dedicated to advancing the Kaiser Permanente mission, promoting and protecting the Kaiser Permanente brand, and supporting the success of its strategy, including Corporate Communications, Issues and Brand Management, Public Relations, Media and Stakeholder Relations, Public Affairs, and more — both internally and externally.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Sep 16, 2018
"Great place to spend a work day"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)
Friendly professional people who share insights and work together for improvements and success. Excellent pay and good employee recognition programs.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.