Drive Our Reputation
We need our brand to stand out from the crowd, and our communications gurus make this possible. They are geniuses behind the bold, positive, and unique Kaiser Permanente brand. We need to add more outstanding public affairs experts to our exciting team to unleash their creativity and ensure our company's reputation accurately reflects the outstanding work we do.
Senior Communications SpecialistLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 878923 Date posted: 06/12/2020
Develops and implements internal and/or external public relations and communications strategies, plans and programs in support of regional strategies and organizational goals. Communication plans and strategies incorporate wide range of stakeholders and audiences ensuring tailored communications and full perspective to successfully position organization. Serves as project lead on high priority assignments/programs. Gives voice to the KP story internally, develops positive relationships with stakeholders, and protects and enhances the brand image and reputation of Kaiser Permanente. May manage communication strategy and implementation of large organizational initiatives serving as liaison to communication staff across the region and participating on cross-functional teams. May serve as back-up for manager. May serve as a spokesperson for organization. This is the third job in a three level Communication Specialist ladder. At this level, the communicator works on projects of complex and diverse scope where communication requires in-depth analysis. Projects assigned are broad in scope and may involve multiple functional areas or span across geographic areas. Communicator works with minimal supervision and exercises judgment within generally defined policies in developing and implementing strategies for results.
- Develops and implements communication strategies and plans, linking organizational goals with communication objectives, strategies, messages and vehicles.
- Researches, writes, edits articles, internal/external publications, and other communication documents.
- Demonstrates ability to build and manage effective working relationships with internal stakeholder groups and individuals.
- Applies strong project management and communication planning skills to the work as well as strong knowledge of the application of AP and KP stylebooks, Northern California strategy and business objectives, and organizational communication theory.
- Collaborates with colleagues in regional departments and areas; may serve as a liaison to multiple geographic areas or coordinate work across the region for local implementation.
- Provides internal communications support surrounding internal or external crisis situations that require expedient dissemination of information to leadership and employees, partnering with Public Affairs department colleagues.
- May lead communications in crisis situations.
- Coordinates with media relations staff in support of organizational objectives and reputation management as needed.
- May share on-call media pager duty. May serve as spokesperson to internal and external audiences.
- May manage and recruit staff or freelance workers. Position requires travel throughout the Northern California region.
- Minimum of five (5) years of internal and external communication experience in a corporate, agency or health care setting with demonstrated results in communication strategy and planning.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field OR four (4) years' experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Knowledge of media and communication vehicles including print, radio, and electronic media.
- Excellent verbal communication, writing and editing skills, including strong communication planning expertise.
- Proven project management and organization skills.
- Ability to link organization objectives to communication planning.
- Demonstrates participatory style, high energy, and a bias for action.
- Adept at working collaboratively in a team environment while also displaying independence, initiative and enterprise.
- Maintains high productivity while balancing competing priorities and meeting strict deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Master's degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Communications Careers
Careers In Communications
Communications combines numerous interrelated departments dedicated to advancing the Kaiser Permanente mission, promoting and protecting the Kaiser Permanente brand, and supporting the success of its strategy, including Corporate Communications, Issues and Brand Management, Public Relations, Media and Stakeholder Relations, Public Affairs, and more — both internally and externally.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.