GI Technician II
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Under direct supervision, provides functional guidance to assigned staff; incubate patients; analyzes collected specimens; and assist physicians with endoscopic and sigmoidoscopic procedures.
- Obtain patient specimens.
- Perform venipuncture skin punctures to obtain blood samples.
- Perform samples specimens for lab analysis.
- Perform routine diagnostic test.
- Anesthetize patients w/ topical or aerosol medication.
- Assist physicians medical staff w/ procedures, diagnostic examinations treatments.
- Assist physician in obtaining tissue specimens biopsies.
- Assist w/ protocological procedures (e.g., sigmoid exams).
- Select and pass instruments.
- Schedule, cancel or reschedule patient and appointments.
- Initiate follow-up appointments w/ patients.
- Key DKAs into automated system.
- Schedule procedure rooms.
- Schedule patient appointments procedures.
- Record and chart patient data. Interview patients and collect patient data.
- Consult w/ physicians concerning test results and alert physicians to positive test results or test abnormalities.
- Report negative/positive specimens.
- Transcribe test results onto lab slips.
- Call provider on positive test results.
- Explain test procedures and purpose.
- Analyze collected specimens for volume, acidity or other standard measures.
- Assist in obtaining tissue specimens.
- Assist physician in developing new techniques and procedures.
- Assist provider in patient examinations and procedures.
- Consult w/ provider concerning procedures and patient condition.
- Follow standard infection control procedures.
- Lift patients.
- Modify treatment techniques, which do not require change in physician orders.
- Instruct patient how to prepare for procedures.
- Explain diets.
- Monitor and evaluate test readings during procedures.
- Observe, monitor and evaluate patient condition during and after procedures.
- Prepare samples and specimens for lab analysis.
- Prepare and position patients for diagnostic test and medical procedures.
- Respond to emergencies (i.e., Code Blue) and stat requests.
- Shave and apply antiseptic solutions to patient skin areas.
- Take, record and monitor patient vital signs.
- Transport patients' to/from procedure area.
- Assist physician w/ fluoroscopic examinations.
- Perform ear wash procedures.
- Assist physician in locating tumors.
- Acts as member of other surgery team (for example, pass instruments, cut sutures, and hold retractors).
- Assist physician in gastroenterology/procedures (for example, endoscopies).
- Assist physician w/ inserting and advancing scope during GI procedures.
- Monitor I.V. solutions.
- Other procedures may be sclerotherapy, Suctioning, Xray - fluoroscopic, Photographic, Dilatation - balloon, bougies, blood specimen processing, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, culture preparation, cytology, Gastrointestinal/Gall Bladder Examination, Microscopic, Minor Surgical, ovum and parasite examination, pap smear, polypectomy.
- Accountable for cleaning and filling specimen jars w/ solutions.
- Prepare solutions and surgical tissue specimens.
- Centrifuge or filter and separate specimens.
- Develop film and make prints.
- Dilute specimens.
- Prepare control slides, clean procedures room and work area.
- Operate scope disinfector.
- Pick up; deliver other specimens to and from laboratory.
- Assemble and disassemble equipment and instruments.
- Ensure equipment is available for procedures and examinations.
- Adjust equipment in preparation for and during procedures.
- Check emergency equipment.
- Prepare procedures and exam rooms. Select and set out appropriate tubing's and sterile supplies. Set up instruments and surgical trays.
- Maintain sterilized supplies, instruments and equipment for surgical procedures.
- Decontaminate equipment.
- Removed and inventory equipment and supplies after surgical procedures.
- Soak instrument.
- Arrange for repair of equipment.
- Equipment may include Computer, Washing and Cleaning supplies, closed circuit TV - GI video.
- Others are periteonoscope, heat probe, colonoscope, photographic and related equipment.
- Inspect equipment and instruments for damage.
- Maintain equipment in good working order.
- Perform minor adjustments and/or repairs on equipment.
- Replace expendable parts on equipment.
- Test equipment.
- Fill request for equipment and supplies.
- Maintain and order supplies.
- Dispose of used syringes and contaminated materials.
- Inventory equipment and supplies.
- Replenish supplies and equipment.
- Orient and train new or less experienced personnel.
- Prepare department work schedules.
- Provide functional direction to assigned staff.
- Attend conferences, meetings and in-service training programs.
- Serve as resource person to co-workers by answering procedural questions and assisting in problem solving.
- Answer telephones and take messages.
- Conduct in-service training.
- Assume other activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in an acute care or ambulatory setting assisting in the performance of endoscopic procedures.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current California license as a Licensed Vocational Nurse
- I.V. certification
- Valid BLS card
· This is a part time position, days and hours may vary.
· If ten (10) hour option chosen, shift will be 7:30 am-6:00 pm, back up 8 hour shift will be 10:00 am to 6:30 pm.
· 1.Weekend/Night On-Call & Saturday schedule - must arrive 30 min when called in
· 2. Excellent service skills
· 3. Train 40 hrs/wk during eval period.
· Use of appropriate PPE on the job.
· May float to other KPOC GI areas.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest