Delivery You Can Count On
As a member of our Claims Connect team, you'll help process and deliver the claims information Kaiser Permanente's members, providers, regulators, and customers need, and expect, from a world-class health care organization.
Director, UnderwritingLocation: Atlanta, GA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 839874 Date posted: 10/27/2019
Primarily responsible for providing leadership and direction to underwriting employees. This work requires expertise in communication skills and management concepts plus excellent understanding of underwriting concepts and the ability to assess market and competitive position. Activities managed include ownership of operational processes as well as implementing policy and process improvements. Underwriting management works closely with Sales and Account Management leadership to anticipate key business, marketplace and competitor dynamics. Underwriting management collaborates with Sales and Account management leadership to implement strategies to optimize business results, including retention and growth targets, while mitigating risk. Primary focus is on establishing the appropriate rate and conditions of offering to achieve revenue, membership and margin goals.
- Manages the efforts of direct & indirect reports, & collaborates w/, provides guidance to & influences employees, clients & matrix partners in extremely complex organization(s).
- Responsible for identifying resource need & obtaining appropriate funding/approvals.
- Overall leadership responsibility for selecting, developing, & deploying staff, performance mgmt, compensation decisions, rewarding & recognizing employees, & providing on-going, regular performance feedback.
- Creates & model a coaching culture that supports continuous growth & development at all levels.
- Effectively leverages KP's Manager Coaching Program to support team development & sales excellence.
- For Directors in the ROCs: Generally, multiple lines of business will be managed.
- For Directors in California: Generally, only one line of business of significant size will be managed.
- For Directors in National Accounts: Generally, work will be conducted across regions & may include a higher proportion of direct customer interaction.
- Establishes extremely complex strategy & tactics w/in area of responsibility & may influence other areas; contributes to strategy formulation.
- Implements, monitors & evaluates extremely complex plans to accomplish goals, results tracked & resources appropriately allocated across area of responsibility.
- Overall accountability to ensure that effective controls are developed & maintained to ensure the integrity of production outcomes for the organization.
- Reviews & integrates extremely complex business processes to achieve business results & appropriate solutions for customers.
- Uses efficient & cost effective approaches to integrate extremely complex processes & technology into the workplace & improve program effectiveness.
- Leads development & execution of new capabilities including self funding & total replacement.
- Has authority to independently authorize changes to rates up limits specified by authority guidelines.
- Overall responsibility for investment fund allocation decisions.
- Achieve revenue, membership & margin targets for area of responsibility.
- Manages financial aspects of the organizational area. Accountable for direct budget.
- Provides financial projections for strategic plans or forecasts for future years.
- For ROC's only, participates in the rate setting process for the region in partnership w/ finance, marketing & other key departments.
- Formulates extremely complex, effective strategies consistent w/ the business & competitive strategy of the organization & functional area.
- Leads extremely complex policy development & strategic planning w/ a long term as well as short term perspective.
- Develops strategies, objectives, & direction for direct reporting organization & w/ partner functions.
- Ten (10) years of experience in underwriting, marketplace evaluations, and/or financial analysis of which six (6) years must have been spent in a direct management capacity.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, health care administration, mathematics, statistics, OR four (4) years of experience underwriting, marketplace evaluations, and/or financial analysis.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated experience in complex problem solving skills.
- Experience in effective verbal/written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in strong customer facing skills, public presentation skills, including negotiation and advanced leadership skills.
- Demonstrated experience and advanced understanding of basic utilization and pricing models, HMO Act, state regulations, rate setting principles, actuarial concepts, and healthcare insurance products.
- Advanced proficiency in Underwriting, Underwriting systems and processes.
- Posseses a high degree of business acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to influence change across all functional areas of the organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of health care industry, market dynamics and trends for all health care products, and competitor strategies.
- Four (4) years of experience managing in a managed care environment.
- Master's degree in mathematics, statistics, business administration or a directly related field.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Insurance & Claims Careers
Careers in Insurance & Claims
Our insurance and claims teams are committed to meeting customer and member expectations when it comes to the timely and accurate processing of claims, while remaining in compliance with federal, state, and local laws, as well as regulations and rules. Make an impact as you contribute to the implementation of contemporary technology in areas such as claims quality, claims operations, business analysis, processing, configuration, reporting, and more.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.