Explore Your Future
With powerful technologies at your fingertips, you'll be the foundation for delivering accurate diagnoses as you ensure an unparalleled patient experience.
Medical Technologist , MicrobiologyLocation: Atlanta, GA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 739879 Date posted: 10/04/2018
- Performs requested Microbiology laboratory tests and special analysis, such as proficiency testing, correlation studies or other, according to established Microbiology laboratory policies and procedures.
- Prioritizes laboratory testing and other duties appropriately to assure optimal efficiency and timely reporting of laboratory results according to policy standards.
- Utilizes quality control procedures according to established procedures and takes appropriate action for Out of Control results. Documents QC appropriately. Recognizes trends, bias, shifts or other unexpected patterns and takes appropriate action.
- Performs calibration or calibration verification as needed.
- Operates and maintains equipment. Performs routine safety checks and preventive maintenance on instruments according to procedures and manufacturer's recommendations on a consistent, timely basis to insure optimal operation and minimal downtime.
- Recognizes when any component of the testing system is not performing optimally and performs troubleshooting procedures as warranted on equipment, reagents and procedures in an efficient manner that maintains testing schedules.
- Refers problems beyond his/her scope of practice to Manager or Assistant Supervisor.
- Assists with workload recording and inventory control.
- Responsible for monitoring and resolving pending lists per policy.
- Responsible for reviewing and filing of Summary Reports for Bench assignments.
- Responds appropriately to provider and clinical staff inquiries.
- Participates in department meetings, continuing education/in-services.
- Participates in orientation and training of new employees.
- Makes recommendations for improvements to the Manager or Assistant Supervisor.
- Assumes responsibility for day to day operations of laboratory in absence of Manager or Assistant Supervisor.
- Participates in state/internal inspections, prepared to answer questions or produce documents.
- Responsible for compliance with information communicated in weekly laboratory newsletters and monthly Microbiology meetings.
- Responsible for timely release of patient results.
- Communicates with reference lab and confirms that test results are posted in KPHC.
- Exercises independent judgment in determining whether test results are released, repeated or referred for review. Consults with Manager or Assistant Supervisor when necessary.
- Receives electronic orders for tests to be performed (Population Care).
- Places orders and prepares specimens for additional testing by Reference Lab when applicable.
- Receives specimens, assisting with processing when the workload warrants.
- Bachelor's degree and/or MT Registration or equivalent documentation from the state of Georgia.
- MT registration or documentation that the state of Georgia considers them qualified to work as a MT in the state of Georgia.
- 2 years of post registration MT Microbiology experience.
- Able to work independently.
- Able to demonstrate customer service aptitude through customer service assessment and/or history.
- Able to demonstrate good interpersonal skills i.e., history of positive working relationships.
- Able to demonstrate dependability i.e., history of punctuality and good attendance.
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related health science.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in subjective interpretation of clinical Microbiology cultures.
- Experience with Microscan Identification and Susceptibility preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Laboratory Careers
Our clinical laboratory scientists, phlebotomists, and lab techs work in both outpatient clinics and hospital settings and have an opportunity to gain exposure to different areas, including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, urinalysis, and the blood bank. We also operate reference laboratories, which serve as hubs for specimen processing and analysis as well as specialized testing — such as microbiology and molecular biology. Offering modern facilities, advanced equipment, and scheduling options, we provide a dynamic environment in which you'll continue to learn and grow.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.