Principal IT ENG ApplicationsAtlanta, GA
The KP Digital experience is a people experience. The products and solutions we create impact Kaiser Permanente’s more than 12 million members and their families, all working toward total health. Our goal is simple — center on the everyday moments that matter for our members, care teams, brokers, and employees, and make them better with innovative digital products. KP Digital team members are agile and with sharp attention to detail, who apply creative, out-of-the-box thinking and active listening skills in collaboration with teammates and stakeholders like physicians, hospital leaders, health plan market leaders, and more. Join us for the opportunity to define what good looks like in digital health and make an impact along the way.
- Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
These are the traits of the most successful members of our digital team.
More About Kaiser Permanente
Leading in a Crisis
Prat Vemana and his team had to respond quickly to execute and mobilize a strategy for the pandemic that would work across the company’s vast integrated health system.
The Webcam Will See You Now
Telemedicine apps, invented for rural patients, have a critical new role during the coronavirus: keeping you and doctors at a safe distance.
We truly believe ideas can come from anyone and anywhere. If you are change-ready and change-driven, join an environment where innovation is both the standard and something we can all contribute to.
Principal IT ENG Applications
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Demonstrated expertise of multiple domains across the applications and technical architectures, including the inter-relationships and interfaces between systems and technologies.
Experience in Information Technology, as a Senior Software Engineer in large corporate environment. Must have strong current hands-on development skills with exposure to object-oriented design principles, patterns and best practices.
Mastery of Java programming language (along with J2SE ecosystem) with advanced knowledge of other multiple programming / scripting languages. Experience with JVM ecosystem, memory model, tuning, threading, reactive streams, modularization.
Understanding of the testing pyramid (unit, functional, integration, system, API testing) and testing approaches TDD, BDD
Experience with application security technologies and approaches.
Possesses exceptional software / systems engineering and application design skills.
Advanced knowledge and experience of CI / CD / cloud deployment (Cloud Foundry, IBM BlueMix or Microsoft Azure) / DevOps technologies.
Hands on experience of working in *nix (Unix, Linux) environment and shell scripting.
Experience in developing POC’s, which are well aligned to objectives and current application stack.
Able to deliver various system artifacts such as logical logical/physical model, architectural artifacts (UML diagrams), deployment diagrams etc.
Experience various system quality measures such as availability, reliability, manageability, flexibility, performance, capacity, scalability, extensibility etc.
API design and implementation (remote vs local APIs, routing and reverse proxying, load balancing, optimization techniques, BFF etc.) experience is preferred.
The Principal IT Eng Apps position is in the Experience Engineering – Workforce Experience group within Kaiser Permanente IT. Workforce experience group is a centralized workforce related application development and solution delivery organization within KP Digital (KPD).
We are looking for a talented Engineer to join our team. The engineer is expected to have demonstrated expertise of multiple domains across the applications and technical architectures, including the inter-relationships and interfaces between systems and technologies. On day-to-day basis he/she will initiative in solving complex business and/or technical problems in AEM as well as areas that may be outside current expertise and coming up with solutions and design approaches.
This senior level employee is primarily responsible for translating business requirements and functional specifications into software solutions, for contributing to and leveraging the technical direction for the development of integrated business and/or enterprise application solutions, and for serving as a technical expert for project teams while providing consultation to help ensure new and existing software solutions are developed.
- Conducts or oversees business-specific projects by applying deep expertise in subject area; promoting adherence to all procedures and policies; developing work plans to meet business priorities and deadlines; determining and carrying out processes and methodologies; coordinating and delegating resources to accomplish organizational goals; partnering internally and externally to make effective business decisions; solving complex problems; escalating issues or risks, as appropriate; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; evaluating recommendations made; and influencing the completion of project tasks by others.
- Practices self-leadership and promotes learning in others by building relationships with cross-functional stakeholders; communicating information and providing advice to drive projects forward; influencing team members within assigned unit; listening and responding to, seeking, and addressing performance feedback; adapting to competing demands and new responsibilities; providing feedback to others, including upward feedback to leadership and mentoring junior team members; creating and executing plans to capitalize on strengths and improve opportunity areas; and adapting to and learning from change, difficulties, and feedback.
- As part of the IT Engineering job family, this position is responsible for leveraging DEVOPS, and both Waterfall and Agile practices, to design, develop, and deliver resilient, secure, multi-channel, high-volume, high-transaction, on/off-premise, cloud-based solutions.
- Provides insight into recommendations for technical solutions that meet design and functional needs.
- Translates business requirements and functional specifications into physical program designs, code modules, stable application systems, and software solutions by partnering with Business Analysts and other team members to understand business needs and functional specifications.
- Ensures appropriate translation of business requirements and functional specifications into physical program designs, code modules, stable application systems, and software solutions by partnering with Business Analysts and other team members to understand business needs and functional specifications.
- Serves as an expert for innovative technical solutions that meet design and functional needs.
- Facilitates and serves as a technical expert for project teams throughout the release schedule of business and enterprise software solutions.
- Builds and maintains trusting relationships with internal customers, third party vendors, and senior management to ensure the alignment, buy-in, and support of diverse project stakeholders.
- Recommends complex technical solutions that meet design and functional needs.
- Collaborates with architects and/or software consultants to ensure functional specifications are converted into flexible, scalable, and maintainable solution designs.
- Provides expertise and guidance to team members for systems incident responses for complex issues.
- Provides implementation and post-implementation triage and support of business software solutions by programming and/or configuring enhancements to new or packaged-based systems and applications.
- Reviews and validates technical specifications and documentation.
- Identifies specific interfaces, methods, parameters, procedures, and functions to support technical solutions while incorporating architectural designs.
- Supports component integration testing (CIT) and user acceptance testing (UAT) for application initiatives by providing triage, attending test team meetings, keeping the QC up-to-date, performing fixes and unit testing, providing insight to testing teams in order to ensure the appropriate depth of test coverage, and supporting the development of proper documentation.
- Leads systems incident support and troubleshooting for complex and non-complex issues.
- Identifies specific interfaces, methods, parameters, procedures, and functions, as required, to support technical solutions serving as an escalation point for complex or unresolved issues related to requirements translation.
- Develops and validates complex testing scenarios to identify application errors and ensure software solutions meet functional specifications.
- Participates in all software development lifecycle phases by applying comprehensive understanding of company methodology, policies, standards, and internal and external controls.
- Develops, configures, or modifies basic to moderately complex integrated business and/or enterprise application solutions within various computing environments by designing and coding component-based applications using programming languages.
- Provides consultation to help ensure new and existing software solutions are developed with insight into industry best practices, strategies, and architectures.
- Builds partnerships with IT teams and vendors to ensure written code adheres to company architectural standards, design patterns, and technical specifications.
- Leads the development, validation, and execution of testing scenarios to identify application errors and ensure software solutions meet functional specifications.
- Leads, mentors, and trains other technical resources to develop software applications.
- Minimum five (5) years experience working on project(s) involving the implementation of solutions applying development life cycles (e.g., SDLC).
- Minimum two (2) years in a technical leadership role with or without direct reports.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, CIS, or related field and Minimum eight (8) years experience in software development or a related field. Additional equivalent work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Four (4) years experience in systems analysis, including defining technical requirements and performing high level design for complex solutions.
Four (4) years’ experience with engineering tools such as bug tracking and source code control systems.
Three (3) years’ experience in a leadership role of a large matrixed organization.
Four (4) years’ experience writing technical documentation in a software development environment.
Three (3) years of IT experience developing and implementing business systems within an organization.
Three (3) years’ experience working with Git source code control.
Three (3) years’ experience in test-driven application development.
Three (3) years of development experience with Adobe Experience Manager
Three (3) years of development experience with Agile Methodology
Three (3) years of development experience with Apache Maven
Three (3) years of development experience on Microsoft Azure
Three (3) years of development experience using DevOps
Three (3) years of development experience with Java
Three (3) years of development experience with Node.js
Three (3) years of development experience with responsive UI (HTML 5, CSS3, etc.)
Three (3) years of development experience with Service Oriented Architecture/web services
Three (3) years of development experience with the Spring framework
Master's degree in Computer Science, CIS, or related field.
Pleasanton Tech Cntr Building A, 4460 Hacienda Dr. Bldg. A, Pleasanton,California, 94588
Corona Data Center Admin, 1830 California Ave., Corona,California, 92881
Stonemill Business Park, 312 SE Stonemill Dr. Ste. 180, Vancouver,Washington, 98684
Greenwood Plaza IT, 6560 Greenwood Plaza Blvd., Greenwood Village,Colorado, 80111
Amberglen KPIT Administration, 2430 NE John Olsen Ave. Ste. 200, Hillsboro,Oregon, 97006
New Carrollton Administration, 4000 Garden City Dr., Hyattsville,Maryland, 20785 Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Workdays: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri Working Hours Start: 08:00 AM Working Hours End: 05:00 PM Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: NUE-IT-01|NUE|Non Union Employee Job Level: Individual Contributor Specialty: IT ENG Applications Department: KPIT ADMIN - KPD EXP ENG - 9601 Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
Our compensation and benefits are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and thrive in and beyond work.
Medical, Vision, & Dental
Education & Tuition
Career Growth & Development
Vacation, Holiday, & Sick Leave
As a new organization, KP Digital will reinvent how we approach digital challenges — from the products we create to the way we work to the talent we hire. As part of this new team, you must be as knowledgeable as you are curious, willing to try new things, even if it means failing fast. We foster a culture of learning but leave your path up to you. In every opportunity we see growth, and in this growth you could see limitless opportunities.
What Our People Say
Data Science & Analytics
“Every day, I leverage technology to power digital transformation in health care and deliver meaningful and impactful experiences for our members. More importantly, I enjoy working with team members and leaders who are vested in your success at KP Digital!”
“I work with a highly collaborative and inclusive team of designers, researchers, product owners, and engineers. We’re committed to a design centric decision-making process and providing the best digital experiences we can.”
Consumer Experience Engineering
“KP Digital employees are assured of career growth through a wide spectrum of ongoing training opportunities that include essential soft skills as well as upcoming new technologies.”
Consumer Experience Engineering
“Working for KP Digital helped me realize my dream of impacting the community by applying a digital first mindset to the solutions we create. I am very fortunate to work with a high performing and passionate team committed to making things happen!”
Don’t be shy. Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.