Certified Ophthalmic Assistant
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Sing on bonus eligible position 5,000K
SEIU Local 105 $23.52/hour- $26.67/ hour
“May be entitled to translation/bilingual, shift or other wage premiums as governed by the applicable collective bargaining agreement. Please refer to the respective collective bargaining agreement for additional information on such wage premiums: https://www.lmpartnership.org/local-contracts.
- This position, knows and complies with all Kaiser Permanente quality, safety, and emergency policies and procedures. Demonstrates quality and effectiveness in work habits and clinical practice in every interaction with patients, colleagues, providers, and leadership. Ensures patient safety in the preparation and provisioning of care related to but not limited to medications, procedures, infection prevention, fall prevention, including consistent use of two patient identifiers and procedural time outs. Reports safety hazards, accidents and incidents, and unsafe working conditions promptly.
- Prepares examination and treatment rooms by cleaning, stocking and arranging supplies and equipment which requires bending, reaching and moderate lifting of up to 45 pounds throughout the day.
- Reviews appointment schedule to determine patient visits order; greets and escorts patient to examination or treatment room, and instructs or assists patient in preparation for scheduled procedures including communication by telephone, email and in person. Interviews patient to obtain ocular history, family history, systemic illness, allergies and medications and appropriate documentation in electronic medical record.
- Performs vision screening examinations as directed, recording data in standard format for interpretation by medical provider. This includes: Visual acuity-cc and sc / distance and near; Stereopsis; Color testing; Tonometry- all methods of obtaining intraocular pressure. EOM; Pupil assessment; CVF; Slit Lamp examination; and Lensometry.
- Performs other technical skills as directed by provider will include: Keratometry (manual and automatic); Retinoscopy; Refractometry (manual or automatic); Potential acuity meter; visual field; Photography (fundus), anterior segment and external); Ultrasound (A scan and B scan measurements); and the removal, cleaning and insertion of contact lenses. Additional testing as ordered by a physician.
- Scribes pertinent medical findings, assessment and plan, as dictated by eye care provider.
- Assists medical providers during minor surgical and laser and other misc. procedures by setting up necessary equipment; attending to patient during procedure; and providing appropriate supplies and instruments as directed, while strictly adhering to sterile and clean technique.
- Cleans, packages and sterilizes reusable supplies and instruments as needed, using approved sterilization methods. Cleans and maintains ophthalmic instruments (e.g. slit lamp, ophthalmoscopes, lenses, etc), appropriately.
- Scan/upload medical documentation.
- Performs routine clerical and reception duties as directed, such as ordering supplies, scheduling appointments, completing patient visit records, maintaining departmental logs, answering phones, taking messages, checking in patients and using the electronic medical records system appropriately.
- Performs other duties as assigned, may assist in orienting and training new employees, transporting equipment and patients within guidelines and taking inventories.
- In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Kaiser Permanente Service Quality Credo, the KP Mission as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Ophthalmic Assistant Certificate
- Demonstrated customer service skills, customer focus abilities and the ability to understand Kaiser Permanente customer needs.
- Disclaimer: The union and the company are currently investigating the qualifications for this position under the bargaining unit. If it is determined that the qualifications are different than as described, appropriate action will be taken.
- Position prefers six (6) months to one (1) year of previous experience as a Certified Opthalmic Aassistant.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest