Director Psychiatry, Addiction Med & Social MedBakersfield, California
Mental health is an essential component of total health. As mental health professionals, we’re on the front lines every day, using the latest advances to help those in need. If you share our passion for care and our commitment to helping those around us, you’ll have the resources you need to make a real difference. Our services include adult and child therapy as well as help with addiction and eating disorders.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Director/Senior Director
- Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
These are the traits of the most successful members of our behavioral health team.
- Good listener
- Results driven
Our compensation and benefits are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and thrive in and beyond work.
Medical, Vision & Dental
Vacation, Holiday & Sick Leave
Supportive Teams & Resources
NOTE: Benefits may vary based on your Kaiser Permanente region, position, scheduled hours, and representation by collective bargaining or employee groups. *Offerings vary by location.
We offer a mental health environment that's unique both in the way we treat our patients and in the way we support our health care professionals. Here, we practice evidence-based care in a team setting that’s focused on the needs of the individual, the family and the population as a whole. This gives your patients the opportunity to work towards achieving their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. On our teams, we hold social justice as a shared value and are committed to addressing and eliminating stigma associated with mental health and addiction. Working as part of a team also helps support your own career growth while you provide high-quality strengths-based, brief, solution-focused, and episodic mental health care.
What Our Employees Say
Psychiatric Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente has been an excellent platform for me to grow as a professional. The organization has demonstrated its commitment to the continued growth of its employees through the training it offers and encourages. I’ve always resonated with the organization’s integrated approach to health care, and its recognition of how essential good mental health is to a person’s overall well-being.”
Licensed Certified Social Worker
“I would recommend and do recommend working for Kaiser Permanente. It’s a professional, clean, friendly, fast-paced environment and there is a real trust and respect for clinical staff no matter what role we serve. I love feeling valued and heard and am thankful to have found an environment that provides that.”
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
“This is the best place to work because of the commitment to the total health of our members, the work/life balance, the possibilities to use clinical skills in a variety of capacities within the organization and opportunities for personal and professional growth. As employees of Kaiser Permanente, we all have a voice and are encouraged to use it.”
Clinical Program Manager
“At Kaiser Permanente, I have opportunities to learn and work in a professional setting with people who are passionate about patient care. I love my career as a therapist and now as a manager! I really enjoy helping others and learning new interventions and modalities. These ensure my personal and professional growth.”
“Kaiser Permanente is a health care leader who sets trends and makes a difference in industry practices and protocols. I like the extraordinary resources available to do my job, the servant leadership of my manager and director, and the high standard of business and clinical ethics.”
PsyD, Clinical Psychologist
“We’re an innovative, vision-forward company. While Integrative-Care models are relatively new, we’ve been on the frontlines of building out a high-functioning integrated team for over a decade. Within this model of care, we’re pushed to think out of the box when it comes to patient care, be collaborative, and succeed in a fast-paced environment.”
PhD, Licensed Certified Social Worker – Clinical
“Kaiser Permanente demonstrates its commitment to their employees’, has a top-notch salary and compensation package, and has a leadership body that is well trained and supportive. As a Clinician and a Manager, I am very impressed with our commitment to quality outcomes. I have truly found a home here and would be honored for Kaiser Permanente to be my last professional stop in my career.”
PsyD, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Psych Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente, in my opinion, is a great mix of professional, friendly and fast-paced. They allow me to be who I am and let me have a voice. I love being a therapist and I’m very proud and excited about the Gender Assessments and transgender group work being conducted. I’m helping the LGBT community and making this population feel comfortable throughout their care journey. Kaiser Permanente is a breath of fresh air to me in my work.”
“I appreciate how Kaiser Permanente strives to reflect inclusivity and representation throughout the organization. I’m excited about an internal clinic comprised of African American clinicians dedicated to supporting the health needs of the African diaspora. I’m proud to be part of committees that intentionally promote equity, inclusion and diversity. These things combined with the benefits, opportunities and people make Kaiser Permanente a great place to work.”
Director Psychiatry, Addiction Med & Social Med
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Please visit the Technical Information page for assistance or reach out to the web manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
These positions are responsible on a Service Area - wide basis for managing the coordination, planning, design development, delivery and evaluation/continuous improvement of out-and in-patient Psychiatry and Addiction Medicine programs and services, including Behavioral Medicine for the medical center(s) and associated outpatient facilities in an entire Service area; managing programs for Addiction Medicine and Psychiatric patients that add value and are integrated with Behavioral Health Care service priorities and performance standards, as well as with strategic organizational goals/objectives; providing clinical and administrative direction for licensed professional and ancillary staff.
- Through subordinate managers/staff, manages the delivery of timely, appropriate, cost-effective and high quality services/programs.
- Assures continuity of care and appropriate utilization of resources both within and outside of Behavioral Health Care.
- Assists Physicians in short and long-range planning of Psych and Addiction medicine programs/services that meet identified needs of members and purchasers within a competitive health care market.
- Within an entire Service area, integrates and coordinates psychiatry and chemical dependency programs with other in-and out-patient departments, as well as with community resources.
- Achieves a continuum of care within Behavioral Health Care Services.
- Maintains liaison with Psychiatry and Addiction Medicine departments at other medical centers as well as with non-Behavioral Health Care departments.
- Develops and maintains policies and procedures to meet Behavioral Health Care and organizational, operational, business and strategic goals/objectives.
- Ensures that the professional practice standards for group and/or individual therapeutic modalities and psychodiagnostic testing are maintained by clinicians.
- Evaluates the professional clinical practice of staff and provides professional staff with regular/appropriate training, direction and consultation.
- Develops systems and methodologies for continuous improvement of programs/ services.
- Evaluates effectiveness of programs and services, group therapy designs, and clinical protocols.
- Conducts on-going program evaluation and, in concert with the Chief(s) of Service.
- Develops/maintains systems and processes for quality and outcomes management/ improvement and for identifying the need for revised and/or new clinical programs/ services.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures and systems to ensure customer/ member/patient/purchaser satisfaction and member access within a competitive health care market.
- In concert with other personnel and physicians, responds to and resolves service, access and provider concerns/issues.
- Manages an effective human resources management system for staff including labor contract administration and performance evaluation of staff.
- Hires, trains/orientates, coaches, disciplines and/or terminates.
- In concert with the Chief, maximizes and manages physical, fiscal and human resources and manages/reduces associated costs.
- Analyzes departmental volume/workload indicators and evaluates/improves utilization and productivity of staff.
- Assures that staffs patient care and work is within scope of practice/licensure/ certification and that delivery of all Behavioral Health Care programs/services conforms to regulatory requirements.
- Interprets law to ensure skill mix reflects highest quality of care at a cost-effective price.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in outpatient Psych and/or Addiction Medicine clinical services or related clinical experience required, including minimum three (3) years of experience in clinical program management/evaluation.
- Masters degree in professional discipline/area of practice (such as but not limited to clinical psychology, behavioral science, counseling, social work, nursing with a mental health clinical specialty).
- Psychologist License (California) OR Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (California) OR Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (California) OR Licensed Clinical Social Worker (California) OR Registered Nurse License (California)
- Demonstrated knowledge of social service agency operations and legislation; state and federal regulatory standards and professional practice standards pertaining to client treatment, patient rights and client/patient confidentiality.
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest
More From Kaiser Permanente
Careers in Mental Health
Join a team that helps empower our members to achieve all of their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. Learn more about our culture, programs, and opportunities.
Mental Health Training Programs
Comprehensive programs where more than 200 mental health trainees can work and learn in communities across Northern California.
Mental Health at Kaiser Permanente
Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.