Laboratory Supervisor II
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Plan and direct operations in Laboratory department or location(s) to ensure accurate, high quality, appropriate, cost effective and timely service oriented test results to providers and patients. Under CLIA section 493.1463, be responsible for day-to-day supervision and oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel: Assure that tests are performed properly and results are verified before release; formulate, maintain and review departmental procedures; coordinate the distribution and participation of proficiency testing, review results, take appropriate corrective action; maintain and monitor quality control programs; initiate and coordinate department and quality assurance plans. coordinate the preparation for all accreditation inspections, facilitate the inspection process, formulate corrective action as necessary; coordinate departmental equipment maintenance. Provide on-site supervision when high complexity testing is performed by individuals as specified in the CLIA regulations section 493.1489(b)(5). Assure that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications as directed by the Director or Technical Specialist to ensure that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning. Monitor and assess pre-analytical and post-analytical systems and correct identified problems.
- Select, develop and retain competent professional satisfied staff: Recruit, interview, select, orient, provide training, coach, evaluate performance, recognize achievements; initiate, implement and document all department continuing education events; counsel, discipline and terminate in accordance with state and Federal law; EEO guidelines and organizational policies. Effectively schedule staff to meet service needs. Provide development opportunities to staff by delegating responsibilities, assigning projects, providing educational opportunities. Assist in development of MLT or other student training programs. Coordinate and monitor on-site training and evaluation of MLT or other students.
- Interact with department staff, with other Healthcare professionals and with other departments inside and outside the organization: Represent department and address issues through committee or taskforce meetings; act as liaison between management and staff, assist the staff in team building and participate in team building with own peer group; obtain information or services from vendors, consult with medical personnel regarding patient testing; work with other departments to resolve problems; collaborate with director(s), if appropriate and applicable, to resolve and respond to all concerns/complaints.
- Develop and administer the department budget: Analyze factors contributing to financial operations; collaborate with director(s) when applicable, to identify department needs; formulate operational budget; present justification for non-standard requests, maintain and monitor all financial reports; interpret variances; intiate adjustments, approve all purchases consistent with approved operating budgets and signature authority. research modern cost effective options, motivate employees to seek practical approaches to their work; collaborate with purchasing agents to arrange bids, contracts and discounts; inventory supplies and record usage and costs to prepare semi-annual report for test cost analysis. Coordinate interregional referral work done in department as applicable to generate revenue.
- Develop and implement department/location short and long term plans: Collaborate with Director(s)/Manager to determine department needs; develop or assist with plans for procurement of new equipment/space, coordinate the implementation of such; research current trends and cost effective options; initiate capital equipment requests; participate in capital equipment and process meetings if applicable; propose renovation projects; participate in lab expansion or remodel project planning and manage implementation; establish and coordinate the plans for training/inservicing/retraining.
- Provide a safe work environment for employees and patients: Act to protect safety of staff and patients by providing safety inservices or information to staff by monitoring the department environment for safety hazards and by ensuring the department is in compliance with regulations for Hazard Communications, Infection Control, Radiation Safety and other organizational and department safety policies.
- Serve as a technical resource for department. As indicated in CLIA regulations 493.1463(a)(1), be accessible to laboratory personnel at all times high complexity testing is performed to provide on-site, telephone or electronic consultation to resolve technical problems in accordance with policies and procedures established by either the laboratory Director or Technical Specialist. Advise other healthcare professionals in the Kaiser Northwest Region as to the policies and procedures related to the department. MAINTAIN proficiency by attending continuing education and inservice activities.
- Perform bench duties of laboratory staff under your supervision as necessary (Refer to union contract).