Expert Care is in the Details
Providing accurate coding, auditing, and reporting, our medical records team is a highly valued and integral part of our team. We use the most advanced EHR technologies, including EPIC and 3M 360 encompass computer-assisted coding, and foster a strong belief in promoting team members from within.
Professional Services Coding Supervisor - ClackamasLocation: Clackamas, OR Additional Locations:
Job Number: 699270 Date posted: 05/18/2018
Provide supervision for the Region's Professional Services Coding staff. Ensure compliance with industry and government coding standards and guidelines. Serve as an information resource and support to staff. Support organization's mission, goals, and objectives in partnership with Northwest Permanente.
- Develop action plans as necessary to resolve knowledge gaps with employees or to address the implementation of new service offerings or code changes. Facilitate the collection of information to provide feedback to physicians through the consultants on work performance to ensure consistency and accuracy with all professional coding. Advise the Region and staff on professional coding and documentation guidelines to ensure regulatory compliance. Facilitate education to support Medicare Risk requirements and organization goals. Provide staff with training and resources on coding procedures and system workflow/functionality.
- Demonstrate positive human relations skills, utilizing effective leadership, written and oral communication skills. Ensure staff capabilities through established Kaiser Permanente policies and procedures along with prescribed management and personnel practices. Participate in the recruitment, development, appraisal and retention of competent professional services coding staff.
- Monitor efficiency and productivity to ensure compliance to national metrics and departmental performance standards. Provide staff supervision to accomplish timely and qualitative response to professional services documentation/coding requests, issues, and responsibilities.
- Participate in problem identification, data gathering, and implementation of strategy actions that are in the best interest of the department and its mission, values, and philosophy. Provide staff with information about the Program's mission, strategic direction, values and the external environment to increase their effectiveness.
- Coordinate proper utilization of human resources necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the department. Support maintenance of a comprehensive annual budget that reflects department needs and the application of cost-effective management.
- Minimum three (3) years of progressive and in-depth multispecialty coding experience in assignment of diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Minimum one (1) year of previous leadership or supervisory experience that includes conducting coaching/training of coding staff.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience evaluating coding audits and quality performance measures.
- Associate's degree health information management OR two (2) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) from AHIMA or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) from AAPC required upon hire/transfer.
- Excellent command of the ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 classification systems with thorough understanding of the effect of data quality on prospective payment, utilization, and reimbursement.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of hospital/institutional coding in multiple medical specialties, and proper assignment of clinical conditions documented and procedures performed.
- Comprehensive understanding data systems and reporting for health record coding, abstracting, and performance metrics.
- Thorough knowledge of professional service delivery in an ambulatory hospital or outpatient setting.
- Excellent ability to conduct coding audits to evaluate quality performance measures and using the findings create written reports with recommendations; and then present education and feedback to facilitate improvement of documentation and coding.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (written and verbal) to deal effectively in delicate, sensitive and/or complex situations.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- Advanced presentation skills to provide training and education to large or small groups.
- Minimum three (3) years of progressive outpatient multispecialty professional services coding experience including Medicare.
- Minimum two (2) years of previous leadership or supervisory experience that includes conducting coaching/training of coding staff.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience evaluating coding audits and quality performance measures.
- Bachelor's degree in health care administration, health information management OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field preferred.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) preferred.
- Working knowledge of KP HealthConnect, particularly the clinical and billing modules, encoder(s) (i.e. 3M or Encoder Pro), Microsoft Office Suite and other software products.
About Health Information Management Careers
Health Information Management Careers
Our team of medical coding and audit professionals helps us promote successful practices that ensure quality care, regulatory compliance, and accurate reimbursement. Working as a team in a clinic, hospital, or business, or even a remote environment, you'll supply the data that benchmarks our success and serves as an efficient education and training mechanism for our providers and other stakeholders.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Feb 2, 2018
- Positive Outlook
- Positive opinion of CEO
I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)
Excellent benefits. Great calibre of employees, respectful workplace. Very forward thinking and fosters innovation.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.