The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
RNFA Operating RoomLocation: Clackamas, OR Additional Locations:
Job Number: 823297 Date posted: 08/27/2019
- Representative Functions or Duties: Practice standards of performance: Pre-operative. Performs preoperative assessment and evaluation. Collaborates with the surgical team on plan of care. Intra-operative: Provides knowledge based technical assistance to the surgeon during the operative procedure according to AORN standards, licensure, state regulation and facility/practice protocols, including: Using instruments and medical devices. Providing surgical exposure. Handling and/or cutting tissue. Providing hemostatis, clamp, cut, and ligate tissue as directed by the surgeon. Suturing as directed by the surgeon. Post-Operative. Evaluates the patient post-operatively according to facility protocols.
- Assessment Standard of Performance & Planning: Communicates information so that continuity of care is maintained. Communicates with patient, family and other staff in a professional and courteous manner. Obtains and demonstrates the skills and knowledge needed to provide appropriate population based and culturally sensitive care to patients and families through education, training and experience. Provides continuous reassessment through the intra operative period. Utilizes knowledge of type of procedure to plan for appropriate set up.
- Practice standards of performance: Function as an assistant in all surgical specialties at the direction of the attending surgeon. Performs RNFA responsibilities in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Oregon, institutional policies and procedures of Kaiser Permanente and the AORN Position Statement on RN First Assistants. Practice within limitations of preparation and experience. Demonstrate RNFA specific clinical skills. Review and update skills checklist on an ongoing basis as specified by policies of Kaiser Permanente. Intra operative nursing behaviors include: handling tissue, providing exposure, using instruments, clamp, cut, and legate as directed by the surgeon, providing homeostasis, suturing as directed by the surgeon. Assists with room preparation in collaboration with the Circulating Nurse and scrub person. Brings patient X-rays into room NOTE: Notifies Charge Nurse or designee if films are not available. Assists in patient transport to the operating room and patient transfer to the operating room table. Provides assistance to Anesthesia during induction. Participates in pre-op briefing time out process. Assists in patient position. Assists in patient preparation, i.e., prepping, catheterization, shaving, as necessary. Assists in patient draping. Sets up ESU, lights, suction for the sterile field. Monitors free counted items on the sterile field. Observes for breaks in sterile technique and takes appropriate action as necessary.
- Assists with instrumentation and equipment as requested. Applies dressings and secures drainage tubes. Assists with patient transfer and positioning post operatively. Assists with room tear down and turn over in collaboration with the Circulating Nurse and scrub person. May perform pre and post-operative patient education as designated. Review chart for pertinent data. Assist in maintaining a safe environment and promoting efficiency in surgical. Procedures.
- Minimum two (2) years of peri-operative scrubbing and circulating experience in a KP OR or one (1) year of experience as an RNFA in or outside of KP.
- Certification of Completion from AORN recognized RNFA course.
- Successful completion of an RNFA program that meets the AORN Recommended Education Standards for RNFA and criteria for the CB.PMN acceptance program.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon RN license required upon hire/transfer.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required upon hire/transfer.
- Current CNOR Certification.
- Meets all qualification of an RNFA as outlined in AORN Position Statement.
- Must maintain CNOR and RN licensure with the required amount of Continuing Education.
- Minimum two (2) years of practice as an RNFA.
- CRNFA certification preferred.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required upon hire/transfer preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.