Deliver Expert Advice
Alongside physicians, clinicians, and patients, you'll work as a respected and vital member of our care delivery team. Providing information and recommending treatment programs that support our proactive philosophy, you'll approach health from a holistic perspective that includes alternative therapies and lifestyle changes in addition to the latest medications.
Executive Director, Pharmacy ContractingLocation: Downey, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 819789 Date posted: 07/31/2019
Under the direction of the Vice President of Pharmacy Finance and Analytics, National Program Office, this position provides strategic direction and develops, manages, and monitors contracting initiatives that enable Kaiser Permanente to remain as the market leader for affordability and quality for pharmaceuticals dispensed to Kaiser members in the Inpatient, Outpatient/Mail Order, and Medical Office/Clinic settings. Specifically, this includes the execution and administration of national pharmaceutical contracts for single-source and multisource pharmaceutical, wholesaler, nonprescription (over the counter or OTC), and Specialty products for all KP health plan lines of business, clinics, and hospitals. Responsible for maintaining proprietary and strategic relationships with pharmaceutical manufacturers and KP contracted wholesaler(s) and Group Purchasing Organizations (GPO-s). Collaborates with and assists the Physician/Medical Groups and Pharmacy stakeholders in developing and managing drug cost and utilization strategies to maximize affordability, maintain the highest quality while securing industry leading product discounts.
- Oversees and directly manages pharmaceutical bids for Single Source, Specialty, Multisource and OTC medications including negotiations for contract price, volume requirements, terms, and conditions.
- Oversees management and coordination of pharmacy purchasing, warehouse, and inventory through KP contracted wholesalers and utilization strategies, programs and initiatives within scope of responsibilities.
- Possesses superior negotiation skills to deliver highest contract value.
- Directly supervises all employees in the pharmaceutical contracting business unit
- Provides leadership at the national level coordinating physician and pharmacy stakeholders within the Medical Group, Health Plan, and Hospitals to ensure pharmaceutical contract compliance and value is maximized.
- Provides oversight and develops strategies for pharmaceutical supply chain management to maximize value of Wholesaler and Group Purchasing agreement(s) and lower overall cost for KP.
- Provides subject matter expertise for strategic projects at the discretion of National Pharmacy leadership including support for Sustainable Growth, Affordability, Quality, and Efficiency initiatives.
- Serves as a thought leader internally and externally on matters related to pharmaceutical pricing and government regulations. Provides market industry influence.
- Participates in external, internal, and national conferences to enhance the image and reputation of the organization and improve KP-s performance through networking industry best practices and benchmarking.
- Monitors and assesses the external marketplace and recommends adjustments to operations to meet the changing business and market and regulatory conditions and stay ahead of the competition to maximize affordability and pricing competitiveness.
- Understands complexities of different classes of trade within scope of responsibilities including 340b, Physician, Manufacturers, Wholesalers, GPO-s, PBM-s. Managed Care, and Hospital
- Provides oversight for planning, analyzing, coordination, and controls policies and procedures relating to audit trails, distribution, purchasing, quality control and overall compliance with Federal/State/FDA and other regulations within scope of responsibilities.
- Minimum ten (10) years of leadership experience in contract management of pharmaceutical products medical supplies, medical devices, medical equipment or healthcare commodities including managing bids and negotiating a contract based on the bid from price through redline language negotiations and signature; or minimum eight (8) years of procurement management and leadership experience in a large complex integrated healthcare delivery system, or multiple-facility hospital provider system or similar setting, or pharmacy benefit management (PBM).
- Bachelor's degree required
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated abilities to lead high performing teams
- Pharm.D. preferred, but will also consider master-s degree in pharmacy, Health Services, Business Administration or related field.
- Degree in Business preferred. M.B.A. preferred, but will also consider master-s degree in a related field.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Pharmacy Careers
Whether you're a resident, technician, or specialist, you'll find a wide array of clinical services in our progressive practice environment. In addition to outpatient, inpatient/hospital, and ambulatory care/clinical opportunities, we maintain specialized pharmacy services, automated refill pharmacies, regional call centers, drug information services, and pharmacy analytical services. In fact, our mail-order pharmacy was ranked highest in customer satisfaction by a J.D. Power U.S. Pharmacy Study.
Our pharmacists also have access to a wealth of information and integrated technologies, meaning you have the information you need at your fingertips, enabling you to make the right decisions, expedite patient care, and actively participate in your patients' health.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.