The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
Sp Unit Staff RN - Hospital (L&D)Location: Downey, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 770409 Date posted: 03/27/2019
As the leader of the health care team, provides professional nursing care, utilizing the nursing process in accordance with established standards of care, policies, and procedures. Demonstrates performance consistent with the Medical Center Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan of the organization. Remains flexible to changing systems; is expected to demonstrate quality and effectiveness in work habits and clinical practice; and treats co-workers, patients, families, and all members of the health care team with dignity and respect.
- The Registered Nurse demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and behaviors:
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities, and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Serves as a leader of the health care team; delegates tasks appropriately, and demonstrates appropriate accountability.
- Understands own and team members scope of practice and escalates issues as appropriate.
- Demonstrates professional, supportive behavior.
- Champions new ideas.
- Leads and directs others through the change process.
- Utilizes communication strategies including chain of command and issue escalation, which result in intended outcomes.
- Participates in problem identification and resolution.
- Mentors, orients, and coaches others in unit specific operations and patient care activities.
- Shares responsibility and authority w/ subordinates and holds him/her accountable for performance.
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve w/ other departments in order to assist member problem resolution.
- Prioritizes, delegates, and supervises work assignments appropriately to ensure completion of patient care activities.
- Complies w/ regulatory requirements, policies, procedures, and standards of practice.
- Nursing Process:
- Develops and/or contributes to the individualized plan of care that reflects assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating the outcomes of that plan.
- Ensures plan shows multidisciplinary planning, consultation, and education.
- Ensures plan is reflective of admission or outpatient database, on-going findings, age appropriate care, cultural specific needs, and appropriate acuity.
- Ensures plan is discussed w/ patient, family/significant others, and completed in a timely manner.
- Monitors the patient's progress based on the plan.
- Revises plan on ongoing basis based on patient condition and evaluation of progress.
- Ensures care meets standards of practice.
- Ensures effective development and completion of discharge plan including discharge barriers and patient/family education.
- Ensures that patient clearly understands discharge instructions.
- In outpatient, identify barriers and needs for patient/family education that will facilitate the outpatient medical mgmt plan.
- Ensures patient safety related but not limited to, medications and procedures utilizing the five rights; patient falls; decubitus prevention and prevention of nosocomial infections.
- Ensures optimal pain control and patient comfort; identifies and discusses patient anxieties, fears or concerns regarding patient condition, treatment or discharge.
- Ensures that patient understands medication purpose, side effects, and administration instructions in the hospital as well as at the time of discharge.
- Charting is accurate, legible, dated, and timed.
- Documentation reflects nursing process and interventions and evaluations taken.
- Utilizes computer systems effectively and efficiently for optimal patient care.
- Clinical Outcomes:
- Discusses patient findings and progress toward outcomes w/ physicians and other members of the health care team.
- Demonstrates competencies during the probationary period and ongoing completion by departmental competency validation.
- Make comprehensive nursing decisions based on interpretation of data, assessments, and evaluations of patient outcomes.
- Participates in departmental performance improvement activities, i.e., planning, measuring/monitoring, assessing, and improving.
- Workplace Safety:
- Adherence to LMP Workplace Safety principles and practices.
- Applies standard precautions.
- Maintains a safe environment for self and others.
- Patient Care Experience:
- Practices customer service standards as defined by the Service Area, Medical Center, and specified department.
- Promptly answers call lights, alarms, and patient requests.
- Makes appropriate referrals and facilitates the customer's ability to utilize resources.
- Maintains and protects patient confidentiality.
- Ensures clean, orderly, and functional work environment.
- Treats all families of patients w/ courtesy, respect, kindness and compassion.
- Provides an optimal patient care experience by actively listening to the needs of patients and family members and taking responsibility for meeting those identified needs.
- Gives patients information in a way they can understand and ensures comprehension.
- Provides a patient care experience that exceeds members' expectations.
- Team Commitment:
- Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others.
- Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate assistance.
- Takes accountability for own actions and accepts constructive criticism.
- Acts as a resource, preceptor, and mentor to new employees, registry, students, and other team members.
- Attends all mandatory meetings, in-services and staff meetings as required, actively participates in other departmental professional development (Requirement may vary for per diem staff).
- Participates w/ the assessment of current and future unit learning needs and development of an annual education plan.
- Keeps self- informed of activities on the unit and makes recommendations for change.
- Adheres to Attendance Program.
- Reports to assigned area promptly, being present and available for report at beginning of assigned shift.
- Supports a collaborative Labor-Mgmt Partnership environment through unit based teams.
- Fiscal Responsibility:
- Organizes work to minimize the use of overtime.
- Identifies and assists in systems improvement that needs simplification or correction.
- Utilizes payroll and non-payroll resources to their maximum potential.
- If twelve (12) hour option chosen, shift will be 7:15 pm to 7:45 am, back up 8
hour shift will be 11:00 pm to 7:30 am.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.