Deliver Expert Advice
Alongside physicians, clinicians, and patients, you'll work as a respected and vital member of our care delivery team. Providing information and recommending treatment programs that support our proactive philosophy, you'll approach health from a holistic perspective that includes alternative therapies and lifestyle changes in addition to the latest medications.
VP Outpatient Pharmacy ProgramsLocation: Downey, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 780650 Date posted: 03/11/2019
- Oversees an operating budget for the Outpatient Pharmacy Program of over $1.7 billion in labor costs and $5.8 billion in drug costs, encompassing multiple regions, over 300 outpatient pharmacies, multiple centralized dispensing operations and call/service centers throughout the national program. Directly responsible for a central team of 30-35 pharmacy staff that support the national program at the Downey national program office.
- Assists executive leadership in the development and execution of the outpatient pharmacy programs national vision and strategy, including the establishment of organizationally-aligned performance goals, timelines and outcome measures. Responsible for prioritizing and adjusting the strategic plan and initiatives in response to organizational, regulatory or market driven imperatives.
Assists executive leadership to seek out, promote and facilitate the rapid adoption and assimilation of best practices and innovations in service, work methods, technology, and operational systems to improve pharmacy service, quality and productivity across the enterprise. Monitors industry trends and changes to ensure that Kaiser Permanente is positioned to provide appropriate services in the competitive environment.
- Assures implementation and achievement of ongoing performance improvements that optimize resources achieve including service efficiency, member service and affordability goals. Sets national productivity and member service benchmarks, including delivery strategy. Identifies and develops regional and local pharmacy delivery strategy opportunities to meet established national goals.
Provides executive business line leadership, direction, decision making and oversight and support to assure all management personnel within Outpatient Pharmacy Programs actively support and assure compliance with the organization's Labor-Management Partnership agreements and other non-LMP labor agreements.
- Participates in Workforce Planning and Leadership/Management Development to ensure long term success of outpatient pharmacy programs in Kaiser Permanente.
- Assures compliance with Pharmacy law, regulations, pharmacy business practices, accreditation standards, SOX controls and Kaiser Permanente policies for all areas with direct oversight. Strategic Planning: day to day management of Specialty pharmacy strategies: Identifies strategic issues, structures and facilitates appropriate processes to develop, implement, monitor and continuously update business strategies.
- Manages Specialty pharmacy strategy processes at the macro level, e.g. product and service market positioning for the business unit, and at the micro level, e.g. strategies for a service area or regional operations support function to support product and service market positioning.
- Collaborates with regional pharmacy executive leaders in the development and allocation of operating budgets to assure appropriate resource utilization, consistent operations, and scope of services provided, with monitoring of performance against operating plans, and adjustments implemented as necessary and appropriate.
- Builds strong collaborative relationships with other senior leaders within the national pharmacy program to ensure efficient, effective and consistent delivery of pharmacy services and care within all outpatient pharmacy programs.
- Collaborates with National Pharmacy Quality and Safety leadership to develop quality initiatives, processes and tool tools to measure and achieve quality targets, metrics and goals within outpatient pharmacy programs. Responsible to support the execution and consistent implementation of quality initiatives across outpatient pharmacy practice settings. Responsible for all applicable policies, standards and regulations related to AR&L (Accreditation, Regulatory and Licensing).
- This position consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente's Code of Conduct) by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to the applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser Permanente's policies and procedures.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in Pharmacy Outpatient leadership positions with the last (5) five of them at an executive/senior leadership level.
- Degree in pharmacy required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Licensure as a registered pharmacist in a state that Kaiser Permanente operates is required. Licensure as a registered pharmacist by the California State Board of Pharmacy is required within one year of hire.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize effective communication, presentation, financial management, and analytical skills required. Demonstrated track record of self-initiative, strategic thinking, and successful planning and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with physicians and health care administrators.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in outpatient pharmacy operations, systems, technology, and personnel management. Demonstrated ability to apply and utilize knowledge of quality management and medication safety processes, as well as pharmacy and related medical, nursing and other health care laws, regulations, and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage professionals and others through influence and collaboration across multiple sites. Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and direct peer group and interdisciplinary project teams. Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of personnel management principles and techniques.
- Proven ability to lead and manage through influence and change, achieve performance outcomes through others, and galvanize action through synthesis and interpretation of outcome data.
- Demonstrated success in meeting/exceeding performance expectations, with consistent delivery of results to the satisfaction of internal and external customers.
- Proven ability to balance execution of the strategic vision through leadership and delegation, with a willingness and competence to dive into the details as required.
- Extensive knowledge of and leadership experience in quality oversight, accreditation and regulatory compliance, integrated care delivery systems and coordinated care.
- Decisiveness, action-orientation, personal integrity, capability to persevere in difficult situations and a focus on strategic leadership issues highly desired. Incumbent should also possess an open, collaborative leadership style
- Demonstrated ability to lead large scale, complex and significant redesign, reorganization, performance improvement and change management efforts.
- Proven ability to balance execution of strategic vision through leadership and delegation, with a willingness and competence to make effective and timely decisions, to focus on execution, and to persevere in the face of significant challenges.
- Frequent travel to and within KP regions required, approximately 20 - 25%.
- Integrated health system experience preferred
- Pharm.D. preferred but will also consider masters degree in pharmacy, health services or business administration or related field.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Pharmacy Careers
Whether you're a resident, technician, or specialist, you'll find a wide array of clinical services in our progressive practice environment. In addition to outpatient, inpatient/hospital, and ambulatory care/clinical opportunities, we maintain specialized pharmacy services, automated refill pharmacies, regional call centers, drug information services, and pharmacy analytical services. In fact, our mail-order pharmacy was ranked highest in customer satisfaction by a J.D. Power U.S. Pharmacy Study.
Our pharmacists also have access to a wealth of information and integrated technologies, meaning you have the information you need at your fingertips, enabling you to make the right decisions, expedite patient care, and actively participate in your patients' health.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.