Nurse Manager - Emergency DepartmentFremont, California
Our nurse leaders maintain a strong commitment to the highest standards of professional nursing practice and to sustain a culture of excellence. You will encourage your teams to use evidence-based practice to deliver high-quality patient care, contribute to research, and spread innovation beyond Kaiser Permanente. Backed by the resources of one of the nation’s largest health care providers, you’ll motivate and inspire your team to achieve goals, value individual contributions, and celebrate accomplishments in meaningful ways while realizing your own potential as a leader.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Manager with Direct Reports
- Travel: No
We’re looking for Nurse Leaders who possess the following traits.
Our compensation and benefits are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and thrive.
Medical, Vision & Dental
Supportive Team & Resources
Career Growth & Development
Our Nurse Leaders cultivate an environment of compassion, integrity, trust, and open communication that helps our teams do their best work. Together, we pursue lifelong learning in the belief that it expands our knowledge so we can better serve our patients. We participate in research to inform our evidence-based care. Our nurses reflect the rich diversity of our members and communities, and provide culturally responsive and competent care that promotes the understanding of our members’ needs and preferences. At Kaiser Permanente, nurses are highly skilled professionals who exemplify leadership, critical thinking, and collaborative problem-solving, and deliver the right care, at the right time, in the right setting.
What Our People Are Saying
Ghada, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, CENP
SCAL Regional Director
Patient Care Services
“So proud to be a Kaiser Permanente nurse leader. Despite all the challenges we experienced with the pandemic, we remained true to our mission to provide safe, quality care to our patients and members, and continue to encourage our employees to grow and develop professionally. I have completed my Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing and lead with an exceptional team. There are boundless opportunities here.”
Gertrude, RN, BSN, MSA
Administrative Service Director
“Kaiser Permanente has a mission of providing affordable health care not just for our members, but also the community — which is a passion of mine. I consider myself very fortunate to work for an organization that values their employees. As a nurse leader, I LOVE what I do! We provide endless possibilities for growth and professional development.”
Michele, JD, MBA, RN
Nursing Professional Development and
“Kaiser Permanente provides its nurse leaders with opportunities to innovate and thrive in an evidence-based practice that’s advancing the science of nursing and embracing a culture of excellence.”
Philidah, MSN, RN
Sr. Director of Nursing
“It’s a privilege to work for Kaiser Permanente. They support nurses through a variety of learning opportunities, from self-paced learning to leadership courses and stretch assignments. It enables equitable opportunities for professional growth and career advancement.”
Assistant Medical Center Administrator
“I’m incredibly grateful for the support I received from Kaiser Permanente. I would not be where I am right now without the mentoring from outstanding leaders, the strong relationships I built with my team, and the partnership with other departments.”
Assistant Nurse Manager
“I’m in my first position here, but I’ve already had the opportunity to be part of the Magnet Journey, quality and safety committees, and co-chair Professional Nursing Excellence Council. Kaiser Permanente continues to help me grow through leadership training programs like Activate and stretch assignments.”
“Kaiser Permanente has many resources and tools to help us grow professionally. We have courses and financial aid for individuals who choose to advance.I love being a leader because I love to encourage, inspire, and develop my team. I also embrace challenges and enjoy collaborating in projects that positively impact our members.”
Department Manager RN
“Kaiser Permanente allows me to focus on preventive health care, which contrasts with my acute care background. I appreciate the preventive care services that we offer our members and the different forms of communication based on personal preference.”
Nurse Manager - Emergency Department
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Manages 24-hour departments providing patient care services. Ensures staff provide high quality, accessible, cost effective care, and patient focused services to members across the continuum, which comply with local, state, and federal requirements. Develops and maintains clinical standards of care and practice; responsible for all resource budgeting, selection and development.
- Manages the operations of 24-hour departments that may be at multiple locations. Ensures Assistants and staff provide the highest quality of care and are in compliance with the Nursing Practice Act, The Joint Commission, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains patient care and service standards to meet members and internal clients expectations.
- Designs and evaluates processes to improve systems and patient care results across the continuum of care.
- Develops and monitors budgets for the appropriate use of human and material resources. Monitors financial performance and identifies and implements strategies to reduce costs and improve quality of care/service.
- Determines the appropriate staff mix for department and develops processes to screen, interview, hire, train, and maintain the competency of all department staff. Ensures on going staff development. Manages and resolves human resource, employee and department safety, and risk management issues.
- Develops, implements, and monitors departmental policy and procedures which support the organizations goals and business objectives and ensures they are met.
- Oversees and develops standards of care and standards of practice, directs fiscal management, and quality improvement activities.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Minimum four (4) years of clinical nursing experience related to clinical area of specialization as required by department, including four (4) years of management, supervisory or leadership* experience.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing. Bachelors Degree in Nursing, or Masters Degree in Nursing earned through a direct entry MSN program.
- Registered Nurse License (California) required at hire
- Basic Life Support
- *Leadership Experience will be permissible for Kaiser Permanente internal applicants only and is defined by the following criteria: demonstrated clinical nursing leadership as a Charge/Senior RN, participation on professional committees inclusive of UBTs, National Certification in Specialty, demonstrated completion of RN Leadership Development Program and/or demonstrated experiential exposure to Nursing Leadership.
- Knowledge of Nurse Practice Act, The Joint Commission, and other local, state, federal regulations.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal communication skills.
- ACLS or PALS certification may be required for positions in specific department.
- National Certification preferred within 1 year of hire
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Two (2) years of management experience preferred
- One (1) year of Magnet/shared governance experience preferred
- One (1) year of managing in a bargaining environment preferred
- Masters degree preferred.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest
Recognized for Excellence
Recognized for excellence again
We're proud to share that for the second year in a row, 100% (39 of 39) of our hospitals rated high-performing (top 20% in the nation) for at least 1 of the 35 measures in the U.S. News & World Report. Seventeen of our hospitals ranked among their state's Top 50 and two ranked in the nation's Top 50 for a specialty.
Ensuring our members’ needs are met
Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.