Psychologist - Pain, Mind & Body ProgramHalethorpe, Maryland
Mental health is an essential component of total health. As mental health professionals, we’re on the front lines every day, using the latest advances to help those in need. If you share our passion for care and our commitment to helping those around us, you’ll have the resources you need to make a real difference. Our services include adult and child therapy as well as help with addiction and eating disorders.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
These are the traits of the most successful members of our behavioral health team.
- Good listener
- Results driven
Our compensation and benefits are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and thrive in and beyond work.
Medical, Vision, & Dental
Vacation, Holiday, & Sick Leave
Supportive Teams & Resources
NOTE: Benefits may vary based on your Kaiser Permanente region, position, scheduled hours, and representation by collective bargaining or employee groups. *Offerings vary by location.
We offer a mental health environment that's unique both in the way we treat our patients and in the way we support our health care professionals. Here, we practice evidence-based care in a team setting that’s focused on the needs of the individual, the family and the population as a whole. This gives your patients the opportunity to work towards achieving their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. On our teams, we hold social justice as a shared value and are committed to addressing and eliminating stigma associated with mental health and addiction. Working as part of a team also helps support your own career growth while you provide high-quality strengths-based, brief, solution-focused, and episodic mental health care.
What Our Employees Say
Psychiatric Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente has been an excellent platform for me to grow as a professional. The organization has demonstrated its commitment to the continued growth of its employees through the training it offers and encourages. I’ve always resonated with the organization’s integrated approach to health care, and its recognition of how essential good mental health is to a person’s overall well-being.”
Licensed Certified Social Worker
“I would recommend and do recommend working for Kaiser Permanente. It’s a professional, clean, friendly, fast-paced environment and there is a real trust and respect for clinical staff no matter what role we serve. I love feeling valued and heard and am thankful to have found an environment that provides that.”
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
“This is the best place to work because of the commitment to the total health of our members, the work/life balance, the possibilities to use clinical skills in a variety of capacities within the organization and opportunities for personal and professional growth. As employees of Kaiser Permanente, we all have a voice and are encouraged to use it.”
Clinical Program Manager
“At Kaiser Permanente, I have opportunities to learn and work in a professional setting with people who are passionate about patient care. I love my career as a therapist and now as a manager! I really enjoy helping others and learning new interventions and modalities. These ensure my personal and professional growth.”
“Kaiser Permanente is a health care leader who sets trends and makes a difference in industry practices and protocols. I like the extraordinary resources available to do my job, the servant leadership of my manager and director, and the high standard of business and clinical ethics.”
PsyD, Clinical Psychologist
“We’re an innovative, vision-forward company. While Integrative-Care models are relatively new, we’ve been on the frontlines of building out a high-functioning integrated team for over a decade. Within this model of care, we’re pushed to think out of the box when it comes to patient care, be collaborative, and succeed in a fast-paced environment.”
PhD, Licensed Certified Social Worker – Clinical
“Kaiser Permanente demonstrates its commitment to their employees’, has a top-notch salary and compensation package, and has a leadership body that is well trained and supportive. As a Clinician and a Manager, I am very impressed with our commitment to quality outcomes. I have truly found a home here and would be honored for Kaiser Permanente to be my last professional stop in my career.”
PsyD, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Psych Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente, in my opinion, is a great mix of professional, friendly and fast-paced. They allow me to be who I am and let me have a voice. I love being a therapist and I’m very proud and excited about the Gender Assessments and transgender group work being conducted. I’m helping the LGBT community and making this population feel comfortable throughout their care journey. Kaiser Permanente is a breath of fresh air to me in my work.”
“I appreciate how Kaiser Permanente strives to reflect inclusivity and representation throughout the organization. I’m excited about an internal clinic comprised of African American clinicians dedicated to supporting the health needs of the African diaspora. I’m proud to be part of committees that intentionally promote equity, inclusion and diversity. These things combined with the benefits, opportunities and people make Kaiser Permanente a great place to work.”
Psychologist - Pain, Mind & Body Program
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Develops, implements, coordinates, and evaluates clinical treatment programs for the diagnosis, treatment, and/or referral of Health Plan members referred to the Comprehensive Pain Management Program.
- Assesses and manages psychological issues for patients entering the chronic pain program which will be done at an individual level and in a group setting and consults with other departments as needed for co-management of care.
- Is responsible for teaching and coordinating educational activities for patients in pain program in group classes.
- Participates in staff conferences to select, plans, and evaluates treatment programs. Service as an important branch point for redirecting patients to other needed services, such as addiction medicine, interventional pain, pain pharmacy, etc.
- Provides outpatient psychotherapy to individuals, couples, families, and groups suffering from various chronic pain conditions.
- Instructs and counsels patients and their families regarding compliance with prescribed therapeutic regimens and adherence to prescribed medication regimens, within the scope of practice.
- Administers specialized therapeutic procedures such as cognitive behavioral (CBT)therapy,acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), and meditation/relaxation techniques, biofeedback, hypnosis.
- Collaborates with physicians in screening and evaluating patients for candidacy for opioid or psychotropic medications, within scope of practice.
- Evaluates patient candidacy for implantable interventional pain procedures, such as spinal cord stimulation and intrathecal pump placement.
- Functions as part of a multidisciplinary team, including but not limited to: member, psychiatrist, psychologists, primary care physician, physician specialists, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, dietitian, social worker, and case manager, to develop, implement, manage, and evaluate the medical treatment plan and communicate with the providers. Note: This include clinical supervision to the Behavioral Health Manager when applicable.
- Minimum one (1) year of clinical internship with specialized training or experience chronic pain medicine/management.
- Ph.D. or Psy.D in psychology from an accredited university or professional school, including didactic and clinical training in pain management, health psychology and biological bases of behavior in clinical medicine.
- Minimum of sixteen hundred (1600) hours of formal post-doctoral training program in pain management in medical settings with anesthesiology, physical medicine, and/or surgical services, or, an equivalent combination of training, supervision, and experience.
- Licensed psychologist required with ability to practice in the state of Maryland.
- Knowledge of biofeedback and ability to perform/teach cognitive behavioral therapy, relaxation techniques as it relates to pain management.
- Knowledge of tolerance, addiction and psuedoaddiction in pain patients.
- Conversant in anatomy and physiology of pain, pharmacologic, surgical and procedural treatments for pain.
- Knowledge of social services agencies, state regulations and APA standards as they relate to client treatment, patient rights and client/patient confidentiality, and other ethical issues.
- Knowledge of worker's compensation system and short term disability system.
- Demonstrated ability to function independently without direct clinical supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Documented experience dealing with a wide variety of pain, surgical, psychiatric, chemical dependency and general medical/surgical patients.
More From Kaiser Permanente
Careers in Mental Health
Join a team that helps empower our members to achieve all of their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. Learn more about our culture, programs, and opportunities.
Mental Health Training Programs
Comprehensive programs where more than 200 mental health trainees can work and learn in communities across Northern California.
Mental Health at Kaiser Permanente
Don’t be shy. Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.