Health Care & Hospital Operations
Excellence: It Starts Here
As a recognized leader in health care delivery, policy, and technology, we answer the needs of more than 11 million men, women, and children every day through the work we do. This mission begins with the passion, vision, and commitment of our leaders.
Sterile Processing ManagerLocation: Halethorpe, MD Job Number: 916197 Date posted: 11/24/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Plans, organizes and directs the work of the Sterile Processing Units, to include the safe, efficient decontamination, preparation, and sterilization of all reprocessed instrumentation and equipment. Be able to provide guidance and training for the OR staff as the instrument specialist.
- Oversees the sterilization of all instruments from all clinics in their respective Service Lines. This includes the training and monitoring of off-site instrument handling and transportation to and from the Sterile Processing Department.
- Provides leadership for the sterile processing staff including hiring, training and development, coaching, counseling, scheduling and evaluating, in conformance with EEO/AA goals, personnel policies and union contracts.
- Participates in interdepartmental, service area, Service Line meetings and committees and task forces to develop and implement programs and processes to achieve strategic objectives - may include National KP committee participation.
- Establishes, interprets and applies policies and procedures for the decontamination, cleaning, sterilization and processing of sterile trays, procedure trays, case carts and surgical equipment; coordinates development and modification of policies and procedures with interdisciplinary departments as appropriate.
- Coordinates in-service training on sterile processing techniques and procedures; determines competencies required and establishes methods for determining competency in consultation with the Director of Perioperative Services, Perioperative Educator and the Directors of their respective Service Line Clinics. This includes the coordination of preventative maintenance of the equipment, quality control, infection prevention, and the enforcement of all policies and procedures.
- Participates in the preparation and administration of the Sterile Processing Units' budgets; evaluates equipment, supply and staffing requirements; oversees the requisitioning of surgical instruments and equipment for the ASC and their respective Service Line clinics. Coordinates with the FSS in the management of sterile supplies, maintenance of the equipment, environment of care, and the management of the Sterile Processing sterilizers and washers.
- Reviews efficiency and effectiveness of unit operations.
- Maintains records; prepares a variety of correspondence and reports, including all documentation of sterilization practices, competencies, all in accordance with CMS, APIC, AORN and IHASCHM guidelines.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience as a surgical technician/technologist or certified sterile processing technician.
- Minimum three (3) years of managerial experience in decontamination, sterilization and processing of surgical trays and carts in an acute care or ambulatory surgical setting required.
- Bachelor's degree OR four (4) years of experience in a field related to sterile processing and perioperative services.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current certification as a Certified Central Sterile Supply Technician (CRCST).
- Minimum four (4) years of experience in decontamination, sterilization and processing of surgical trays and carts in an acute care or ambulatory surgical setting preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Health Care & Hospital Operations Careers
Health Care & Hospital Operations Careers
Envision the future, inspire change, and deliver results. Put your talents to work not just at a powerful business, but at an organization dedicated to empowering the health and well-being of millions. As a valued member of the Kaiser Permanente team, your visionary and strategic contributions are especially vital to our success. Come drive change within the organization and across the future of health care.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Sign up to receive information about opportunities that relate to your interests.