Oral Surgery Assistant
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Perform all of the functions and duties listed for an EFDA certified dental assistant in addition to the following: Maintain organized oral surgery instruments and supplies. Transcribes essential information between the oral surgeon and the patient in a concise, legible and understandable manner for placement into patients dental record. Places topical anesthetic. Takes and records pre-op vital signs. monitors vital signs of patients throughout surgery procedures, including EKG as required. Anticipates oral surgeons needs and participates actively in oral surgery procedures. Gives verbal and written post-op instructions, including medication instructions and precautions. Removes post-surgical dressings and/or sutures. Triages patient calls for surgery specific problems. calls in surgeon-prescribed medications to KP and non-KP pharmacies. Responds appropriately to medical emergencies, including preparation of ACLS drugs for administration by oral surgeon as needed. Assists oral surgeon in hospital setting using sterile hospital techniques. Maintains biopsy log per quality assurance guidelines. Administer sedation drugs under the supervision of an oral surgeon. Receive and send chart consults to oral surgeons. Review charts sent to oral surgery add treatment plan and book appointments. Maintain recall log for pathology patients, send post cards out and follow up to schedule appointment. Maintain ACLS drugs in office with current dates. Book patients in EPICARE for the operating room at central interstate and sunnyside hospital. Monthly meeting to review medical emergencies.
- In support of the practice of a dentist provider; Train persons (patients) in techniques of oral hygiene and prevention of oral disease. Place films (dental radiographs), adjust equipment preparatory to exposing films, and expose films. Organize patients dental record consistent with established guidelines, confirm its availability and assure that it is in order and ready for providers use at the time care and service is to be provided. Greet, introduce self to, and inform patient of general treatment to be provided and provider to be seen consistent with established kaiser permanente behavioral guidelines. Review health questionnaire with patient and notify provider of reported conditions that could effect treatment. Promote patients emotional comfort by gaining rapport, instilling confidence and promoting tranquility. Inform and answer patients and/or parents questions regarding care and service provided as directed by provider.
- Anticipate needs of provider in the delivery of patient care and service. Communicate information important to maintaining the proper scheduling and flow of patients consistent with information recorded in the patients dental record. Prepare, organize, arrange and pass dental instruments, supplies and materials as requested by the provider and required by established guidelines. Establish and maintain a clear and clean operating field. Record and/or verify information in the patients dental record according to established procedures. Record and/or verify all patient care and service related information on all necessary forms and documents consistent with established guidelines and in a manner that accurately reflects the information documented in the patients dental record. As required in support of direct patient care activities, enter, retrieve and transmit patient care and service related information via the programs automated patient and provider scheduling system (team), consistent with established guidelines and training. Respond to medical emergency situations consistent with established guidelines. Expose and process dental radiographs as required consistent with established guidelines and radiology equipment use specifications. Take patients blood pressure and accurately record in patients dental record. Clean and sterilize and process instruments consistent with established guidelines. Maintain clean, orderly, well organized and supplied work environment, including assigned operatory, laboratory and instrument processing areas, consistent with established infection control. Assure proper handling of all materials in accordance with hazard communication program and infection control guidelines. Assure proper functioning of equipment through the periodic completion of established preventive maintenance procedures such as cleaning and oiling, and reporting non-functioning, damaged, etc. equipment to office manager or supervisor in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the office manager or supervisory personnel that are consistent with the individuals training and experience in an active and cooperative manner. Act in conformance with established program policies, procedures, guidelines and protocols, the Administrative Rules of the State Board of Dentistry, the State Dental Practice Act and any other laws and regulations that govern the role and responsibilities of the dental assistant and satisfactorily maintain the established qualifications for selection towards this position. Perform the following functions provided that the dentist is on the premises and the dentist checks the patient before and after the functions are performed; Place matrix retainers for alloy and composite restorations. Polish amalgam restorations. Remove supra-gingival excess cement. Take impressions for the following purposes; Diagnostic models. Counter and opposing models. Fabrication of temporary restorations. Intra-oral bite registration for study model articulation. Place and remove a rubber dam, Fabricate temporary plastic-type crowns. Assist in monitoring patients that are being administered nitrous oxide consistent with established guidelines. Other duties appropriate for EFDA DA II as authorized by Board of Dentistry rules and regulations.
- One (1) year as a dental assistant OR graduation from an ADA accredited dental assisting program.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
- Pit and Fissure Sealant Certificate (Oregon) within 4 months of hire
- Anesthesia Dental Assistant Certificate (Oregon) within 12 months of hire
- Dental Radiation Proficiency Certificate (Oregon)
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant Certificate (Oregon)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Assistant Certificate within 12 months of hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- The individual applicant for this position must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the individual performing the selection interview, the following qualifications if he or she is to be selected. Furthermore, consistent with the fact that these qualifications are required for selection, they then must be satisfactorily maintained by the individual as a condition of continued employment.
- Demonstrated competence in four-handed dentistry technique.
- Satisfactory level of knowledge and proficiency in use of current dental materials, instruments and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and work effectively under both direct and indirect supervision.
- Well organized in use of time and effort.
- Demonstrated capacity to act in a professionally courteous manner when interacting with patients, providers and other employees - good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Candidate is required to pass a pre-employment dental assistant skills test.
- Basic knowledge of sterilization and infection control equipment.
· Days/Times vary.
· Travel Johnson Cr, Glisan, Clackamas, Oregon City, Eastmoreland, Rockwood, Gresham, Grand dental.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest