Assistant, Surgical, Hillsboro, Days, 40 hours
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Under the direct and immediate supervision of a surgeon will perform the role of first assistant during surgical procedures.
- Practice standards of performance: Complies with shift, unit and organizational policies and procedures including reliability and attendance standards. Monitors and takes corrective action to prevent recurring absences. Returns promptly from breaks and schedules them to provide adequate coverage. Restricts personal business to non-patient care areas during break times. Complies with Kaisers Time Keeping Policy to accurately reflect productive time worked. Takes responsibility to keep informed of organizational policies and current information provided by the employer through multiple avenues. Maintains confidentiality of all patient and organization records and information (HIPPA Standards). Attends and constructively participates in staff meetings and in-services. Complies with contractual responsibilities related to work schedules. Participates in unit Quality Assurance programs. Maintains current knowledge and skill base with personal commitment to continuous learning of new concepts and skills for professional development. Utilizes professional communication techniques. Promotes professional conduct, knows and complies with department Standards of Behavior (group Norms). Promotes and utilizes professional communication techniques. Promotes collaboration and professional interaction with the health care team. Actively participates in ongoing department activities, e.g., Labor management projects. Acts as a mentor/coach in assisting team members.
- Assessment Standards of Performance: Communicates information so that continuity of care is maintained. Participates in accurate pre-operative briefing and time out. Provides continuous reassessment through the intra-operative period. Communicates with patient, family and other staff in a professional and courteous manner. Obtains and demonstrates the skills and knowledge needed to provide age appropriate and culturally sensitive care to patients and families through education, training, and experience. Communication with Charge Nurse regarding daily assignments and changes in work areas.
- Planning Standard of Performance: Utilizes knowledge of type of procedure to plan for appropriate equipment, positioning and instrumentation needed. Obtains and demonstrates the skills and knowledge needed to provide appropriate population-based care to patients through education, training, and experience.
- Implementation Standard of Performance: Demonstrates and maintains appropriate application of the principles of surgical asepsis in all appropriate situations. Demonstrates competence in assisting with surgical procedures and performs them correctly to ensure patient safety intra-operatively. Confers with surgeon and/or circulating nurse for special case needs or instructions prior to start of case. Demonstrates knowledge of various surgical procedures and individual surgeon preference. Continually anticipates the surgeons needs throughout the procedure and initiates appropriate measures based on protocols for management of the intra-operative patient. Under direction of surgeon, assists in patient positioning. Under the direction of the operating surgeon, displays X-rays and C.T. scans. Applies extremity tourniquets according to department standards of practice. Provides exposure through the proper use of retractors. Maintains a dry field of operation through proper use of suction and sponging techniques. Able to recognize and control bleeding according to appropriate surgical technique. Demonstrates knowledge of various wound closure techniques. Participates in pre-op briefing and time out. Demonstrates knowledge of drains and other applications. Applies dressings, splints, plaster casts, and/or traction according to physician order. Demonstrates speed and dexterity and adapts easily to unexpected situations. Remains calm during emergency situations. Follows surgeon direction quickly and accurately to the smallest detail. Adapts performance to reflect construction criticism, suggestions, and/or comments from surgeon. Demonstrates competence in the scrub role during the surgical procedure when required. Passes instruments, sponges, sutures, and other supplies in manner to avoid diverting the surgeons attention from the operative field. Assists in circulating duties under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse in room management and preparation for following cases. Demonstrates competence and assists in clean-up and room turnover including light housekeeping duties, procurement of equipment, supplies and X-Rays. Restocking of unused supplies and equipment. Assists in proper care, handling, and storage of surgical instruments and equipment. Promotes cost effective utilization of supplies within scope of job function. Actively participates in ongoing department activities, e.g., system management, projects. Performs other related duties as indicated. Follows Surgical Assistant Scope of Practice.
- Minimum two (2) years operating room experience (Surgical Assist or Surgical Tech) required.
- Graduation from an Accredited Surgical First Assist Program required.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) required
- Certified Surgical Assistant Certificate from National Surgical Assistant Association OR Surgical First Assistant Certificate from National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
- Basic Life Support
- Understanding of human anatomy and physiology and operating room techniques.
- Preferred Experience should be Three (3) to five (5) years in a hospital O.R. or ambulatory surgery setting as a Surgical Assistant and familiar with a full range of procedures.
- Bachelors Degree in a healthcare-related field of study.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest