The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
Chief Nurse Executive - Moanalua Medical CenterLocation: Honolulu, HI Additional Locations:
Job Number: 780847 Date posted: 03/12/2019
This role provides strategic leadership as the patient care executive position responsible for all nursing and other designated patient care functions/services within the hospital organization. The Chief Nurse Executive provides direction, leadership, planning, organization and general management for all aspects of patient care ensuring integration of services and compliance with long range objectives and strategies, including the provision of excellent quality services and responsible fiscal management. This role represents nursing/patient care on the hospital executive leadership team, at the medical executive committee and medical staff committees. The Chief Nurse Executive has oversight for the professional practice of nursing and the provision of nursing care in all licensed or surveyable areas of the medical facility. Oversight is defined as having responsibility for regulatory, quality, service, resources, nursing staff competency and evaluation of the overall delivery of nursing care.
- Develops effective working relationships with key stakeholders and operational leaders. Manages organizational relationships in a way that builds and maintains a climate of trust and inspires commitment from others to achieve organization goals.
- Partners to provide for the seamless transition of patients across the continuum of care.
- Executive level communication, presentation, leadership, analytical and problem solving skills required. Effectively communicates with all internal and external constituents, including staff, colleagues, and physicians. Produces and presents oral and written materials to address nursing, healthcare and organizational issues appropriate to the audience.
- Communicates effectively as hospital's advocate to members of the community, continually seeking ways to improve and promote the public relations objective of the hospital and marketing services.
- Actively communicates and embeds the Kaiser Permanente Nursing Vision, Values and Model within the culture in alignment with organizational goals.
- Creates an environment which recognizes and values diversity and designs strategies that address the unique needs of a diverse workforce, patient population, and community.
- Participates in the academic community through advisory and collaborative efforts. Provides a supportive and stimulating learning environment for nursing students.
- Addresses and manages conflict in a constructive and productive manner.
- Assesses the current environment and establishes indicators of progress toward cultural competency.
- Provides an environment that engages staff and others in decision making.
- In conjunction with medical facility leadership groups, determines the most cost effective and efficient levels of patient care clinically and operationally; implements such locally. Participates in hospital strategic planning process and collaborates with facility management team and the medical staff to develop the overall financial plan for the medical facility.
- Accountable for the efficient delivery of all patient care services for KP members.
- Participates in the development, implementation, utilization and evaluation of cost effective, medical facility programs, policies and procedures that address the high quality nursing care, treatment and service needs of the patient population.
- Manages patient care processes to ensure optimal utilization management practices.
- Assures short and long range financial goals are met by establishing and controlling the budgets. Monitors and assesses trends, external environment and internal practices; makes recommendations to develop/adjust strategy to meet the changing business and market conditions.
- Accountable for the preparation and review of department operating and capital budgets based upon criteria supported by volume and expense projections, cost benefit analysis, operating processes and other relevant information.
- Monitors departmental expenses by reviewing variance reports and taking action for adjustments and improvements as needed to ensure optimal productivity standards are met.
- Demonstrates ability to access information and analyze data to make decisions in planning for patient care.
- Coordinates activities between departments to reduce duplication, increase efficiency and achieve higher levels of service.
- Develops and implements quality and utilization standards for patient care services to ensure coordinated plans of treatment, delivery of services that meet members- needs, and the cost effective utilization of necessary services. Utilizes and maximizes effective systems for resource management in nursing, including patient acuity and staffing applications.
- Achieves optimal patient care experience through focused customer service strategies.
- Participates in developing and implementing recruitment and retention strategies to ensure a sufficient and stable workforce of qualified staff members are available to meet the needs of the patients.
- Develops a succession plan for nursing leadership.
- Recognizes the need for change; adapts to, and motivates others to adapt to values, strategies, goals and plans in response to changing business conditions.
- Demonstrates basic competency in technology applications related to business and clinical functions.
- Optimize computerized electronic medical record system and utilize relevant data to improve patient care outcomes.
- Ensures compliance with legal and ethical issues related to client data, information, and confidentiality.
- Assures that the clinical perspective is included in organizational decisions.
- Guides the operational implementation of quality improvement initiatives using innovation and evidence-based practice. Generates and encourages innovation and creative solutions to issues or problems. Is able and willing to solve problems from various points of view and make difficult decisions.
- Achieves quality outcomes by utilizing problem identification, process improvement, root cause analysis, and reducing variation to sustain improvements.
- Implements the organization's performance improvement program, including planning, setting priorities, conducting systematic performance assessments, implementing improvements based on such assessments and maintaining achieved improvements.
- Ensures a professional development program which addresses the needs of clinical and management staff. Provides for employee development and educational programs to meet needs of patient care staff. Creates a structure to ensure a learning environment that fosters growth and development of self and others.
- Coaches and mentors aspiring nurse leaders.
- Consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente's Code of Conduct) by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser Permanente's policies and procedures. In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Kaiser Permanente Service Quality Credo, the KP Mission as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives.
- Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors.
- Kaiser Permanente is an EEO/AA Employer.
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressive experience in clinical, management and leadership roles within hospital operations.
- Academic degree in nursing required (Bachelor-s or Master-s degree). Master-s degree in Nursing or related field required (Health Administration, Business, Public Health, or management).
License, Certification, Registration
- Active and current registered nurse license in the state in which the work will be performed.
- National certification in nursing administration or advanced nursing administration required within three (3) years for an incumbent Chief Nurse Executive assuming position, and within one (1) year of a newly hired Chief Nurse Executive assuming position.
- Demonstrated skills to work in a union environment.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.