Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Gastroenterology AssistantLocation: Honolulu, HI Additional Locations:
Job Number: 726395 Date posted: 08/23/2018
Under direct personal supervision of physician, performs variety of duties to assist in basic to moderately complex gastrointestinal (GI) procedures including cleaning & preparing procedure rooms & equipment, furnishing instruments & supplies to provider, & assisting provider w/ GI procedures according to explicit instruction; maintains aseptic or clean technique as appropriate at all times; prepares & assists w/ procedural equipment, instruments & supplies; assists in maintenance & inventory of supplies & equipment in specialty area.
- Prepares procedure room for gastrointestinal procedures; ensures room is in clean & orderly order; troubleshoots & remedies or removes & reports faulty equipment; ensures adequate inventory of appropriate supplies & instrumentation available in accordance w/ physician's preference.
- Directs, escorts or wheels patient into procedure area; explains steps to be taken in preparing patient for procedure, such as use of gown, patient positioning on procedure table, etc.; attempts to allay patient fears & anxieties associated w/ equipment & procedures.
- Performs variety of basic to moderately complex diagnostic procedures & limited advanced therapeutic procedures under direct personal supervision of physician, procedures include draping & positioning patient, preparing & assisting in operation of instruments used in procedures, assisting in operation of manufacturer preset electrosurgical equipment, maintaining endoscope position, & advancing &/or w/drawing endoscope according to physician's explicit instruction.
- Anticipates physician's needs regarding equipment & supplies during patient procedures; adjusts to changes in procedures or patient conditions as directed by physician.
- Assists providers & nurses in packaging & labeling collected specimens.
- Recognizes emergency situations; seeks immediate assistance.
- Isolates & contains contaminated equipment & supplies during procedures.
- Respects patients' rights to privacy, dignity & safety; adheres to department safety policies; promotes safe environment for patients & staff.
- Cleans & disinfects endoscopes following standard procedures; checks disinfectant for efficacy & documents results; follows appropriate procedure for reporting malfunctions & repairs.
- Controls & monitors use of instruments & supplies on procedure table; inventories other supplies & instruments throughout procedure; restocks room w/ necessary equipment & supplies.
- Assists in decontamination of equipment, instruments & supplies as necessary; assists in cleaning rooms, furniture, & equipment according to established procedures.
- Uses supplies & equipment conservatively to maintain inventory control & cost containment.
- Assures clinical equipment is operable & undergoes necessary maintenance; follows appropriate procedure for reporting malfunctions & repairs.
- Attends department meetings.
- Identifies improvements necessary to update procedures & protocols w/in parameters of position.
- Notifies supervisor of any developing process problems or concerns.
- Prioritizes daily workflow to ensure optimal service levels are maintained.
- Assists team & other committees to implement workflow process improvements.
- Assists supervisor w/ staff orientation.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge, skills, & abilities in area of specialization.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, & abilities necessary to provide care &/or service appropriate to age groups served.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, & abilities necessary to provide culturally sensitive care &/or service.
- Performs other duties & accepts responsibility as assigned.
- Six (6) months G.I. Aide experience.
- High school diploma; or equivalent combination of education (lesser) & experience may be considered in lieu of requirements.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Gastroenterology Technical Specialist certification with the Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates (SGNA).
- Current BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR or CRP/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification.
- Demonstrated competency in G.I. Aide skills.
- Demonstrated competency and ability to assist with basic to moderately complex gastroenterology procedures.
- Ability to remain open to new ideas and flex to meet variable workloads.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, change management, customer service, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, and teamwork.
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
- Reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.
- Training/giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g. organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration and alertness.
- Graduate of accredited Medical Assistant program.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Feb 2, 2018
- Positive Outlook
- Positive opinion of CEO
I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)
Excellent benefits. Great calibre of employees, respectful workplace. Very forward thinking and fosters innovation.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.