Excellence: It Starts Here
As a recognized leader in health care delivery, policy, and technology, we answer the needs of more than 11 million men, women, and children every day through the work we do. This mission begins with the passion, vision, and commitment of our leaders.
Hospital Administrator - HILocation: Honolulu, HI Additional Locations:
Job Number: 737896 Date posted: 09/21/2018
The Hospital Administrator for the Hawaii Region works within the overall context of regional and national strategies to assure that Kaiser Permanente is positioned to optimize performance in terms of quality, service, affordability, and best place to work. The ability to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction and member retention is the key performance focus of the local market. The Hospital Administrator must ensure a fiscally sound operation capable of generating required quality, service and financial performance to maintain market leadership. The Hospital Administrator must develop and execute customer-focused business and operations strategies that respond to unique market factors such as size, demographics, competitors, employer characteristics and segmentation strategy, and targeted consumer expectations. These plans must effectively integrate with, influence, leverage, and be consistent with Regional and National strategies, investments, approaches, processes and capabilities. The plans also must support Community Benefit and other community outreach and support activities in the market area. The Hospital Administrator has accountability and oversight for all inpatient care provided for KP members in Hawaii including; Kaiser Foundation Hospital Moanalua on Oahu, Plan hospitals on the mainland, and community hospitals services provided to members on Oahu and neighbor islands. Accountability also extends to the continuum of care and all patient service delivery in the region. The Hospital Administrator must develop strong, positive relationships with these key stakeholders. A key driver of local market success is the ability of the Hospital Administrator to partner with Hawaii Permanente Medical Group (HPMG) and with labor. HPMG is the sole provider of medical services to Kaiser Permanente membership in Hawaii. The local market is the focus of efforts to improve member services and directly impacts economic viability and market sustainability. The Hospital Administrator must work closely with HPMG as well as labor to establish mutual performance expectations. These expectations need to be based on competitive benchmarks and targeted for market-leading performance. These performance expectations will drive the strategy and requirements of numerous operational areas including efficient and effective operations, external provider relations, quality and service initiatives, and program development.
- In the role of Hospital Administrator, this position is the accountable leader responsible for the following:
- Drives process and organizational improvements for hospital operations, including accountability for all services provided to members as well as visiting members.
- Ensures high levels of customer satisfaction and member retention by investing in, structuring, and directing hospital operations to meet customer needs and reinforcing a culture of excellence in quality and service.
- Ensures the integration of quality, service and efficiency improvements into day-to-day operations. Leverages new and existing technologies to improve care and secure efficiencies.
- Provides leadership for joint Health Plan/HPMG management efforts related to appropriate utilization of hospital, transition of care, sub-acute care resources, hospital case management, and referrals to maximize the quality and efficiency of care provided to our members.
- Ensures the delivery of high-quality, integrated patient care and the effective use of resources by building strong, performance-based relationships. Leverages the commitment of distinctive performance as LMP unit-based team design evolves in the Hawaii region.
- Maintains a fiscally sound, market-leading operating environment that promotes competitive delivery models, generates member value and provides outstanding care to the Kaiser Permanente membership.
- Ensures effective execution of business strategies by aligning people strategies with business requirements to drive high performance. Key is the creation of organizational design, articulation/delegation of duties and responsibilities, and development of strong leadership teams.
- Participates in regional and national committees as appropriate and directed to by the Regional President.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in Hospital Operations as an executive/senior leader and managing in a large-scale health care delivery system; preferable in an integrated health care system.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in managing a complex organization through a transition in its technology or business environment.
- A graduate degree in business administration, health care administration, or a related field is required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Experience developing performance metrics and maintaining accountability in key areas of member satisfaction, quality improvement, finance and delivery system performance
- Experience managing in a diverse environment (internally and with our members)
- Demonstrated experience working with physicians in a managed care environment.
- Specific experience with PHOs, IPAs, group practices, and foundation models would be of great value.
- Demonstrated skills in team building and organizational development.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in a business partnership with clinical, business, physician, and labor leaders.
- Experience with integrating systems and services to more efficiently maximize service and to support the organization's mission and goals.
- Financial planning and management skills are necessary.
- The ability to balance strategic development and day-to-day operation responsibilities.
- Excellent problem solving and negotiating skills with the ability to impact outcomes using influencing skills.
- Communication skills characteristic of an executive who excels in communicating in a variety of formal and informal presentation settings, large and small, both inside and outside the organization, and issuing cogent and consistent written messages that build confidence and achieve desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to function collaboratively in a multi-entity partnership environment.
- Experience with the EPIC system is preferred.
- Experience working with organized labor and handling union negotiations is highly desired.
- Demonstrated success in managing in a complex, managed care environment is desirable.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Health Care & Hospital Operations Careers
Health Care & Hospital Operations Careers
Envision the future, inspire change, and deliver results. Put your talents to work not just at a powerful business, but at an organization dedicated to empowering the health and well-being of millions. As a valued member of the Kaiser Permanente team, your visionary and strategic contributions are especially vital to our success. Come drive change within the organization and across the future of health care.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Dec 14, 2018
"Respectable reward in a company with a vision"
- Positive Outlook
- Positive opinion of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)
Kaiser has a vision for healthcare that is in practice as well as in theory all about delivering the best healthcare at the best possible price. It is more than just words, the company really strives to deliver on those goals.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.