Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Medical Assistant I-IIILocation: Honolulu, HI Additional Locations:
Hawaii Kai Medical Offices 6700 Kalanianaole Hwy., 6700 Kalanianaole Hwy. Ste. 111, Honolulu,Hawaii, 96825
Hospital/Medical Offices 3288 Moanalua Rd., 3288 Moanalua Rd., Honolulu,Hawaii, 96819
Kahuku Medical Offices 56-700 Kamehameha Hwy., 56-700 Kamehameha Hwy., Kahuku,Hawaii, 96731
Kailua Medical Offices 201 Hamakua Dr., 201 Hamakua Dr., Kailua,Hawaii, 96734
Kapolei Medical Offices 599 Farrington Hwy., 599 Farrington Hwy., Kapolei,Hawaii, 96707
Koolau Medical Offices 45-602 Kamehameha Hwy., 45-602 Kamehameha Hwy., Kaneohe,Hawaii, 96744
Mapunapuna Medical Offices 2828 Pa'a St., 2828 Pa'a St., Honolulu,Hawaii, 96819
Nanaikeola Medical Offices 87-2116 Farrington Hwy., 87-2116 Farrington Hwy., Waianae,Hawaii, 96792
Waipio Medical Offices 94-1480 Moaniani St., 94-1480 Moaniani St., Waipahu,Hawaii, 96797 Job Number: 756910 Date posted: 03/06/2019
Additional for Medical Assistant II and I:
Identifies, draws up, and labels medications for immediate verification and use by the practitioner. Assists in resolving and/or responding to non-clinical related patient complaints and inquires. Acts as preceptor/trainer. Collaborates with clinic nursing supervisor to develop operational strategies and process improvements for department/unit.
Additional for Medical Assistant I:
Assists practitioner with highly specialized procedures (i.e. frequent office-based surgical procedures, chain of custody urine collection, splint manufacturing, and medicine administration) after completion of training and competency requirements, in accordance with policies/procedures, and as delegated by clinic nursing supervisor and ordered by authorized practitioner.
- Obtains, identifies and records vital signs, prevention data, medications, chief complaints and other pertinent information; observes, records and reports pertinent patient symptoms, reactions, condition changes, and information; immediately identifies and reports to RN or practitioner all adverse observations, reactions, conditions, or emergency situations
- Transcribes patient specific data into electronic system using practitioner generated ICD-9 and CPT codes for purposes of billing, coding, and clinical data reporting and analysis
- Prepares room and instruments for use during exam or procedure; assists practitioner or RN with wide variety of patient care procedures and tests; collects, labels, and processes specimens as required by practitioner and in accordance with policies and procedures; performs point-of-care laboratory tests as authorized by policy and delegated by nursing supervisor
- Maintains and promotes clean, safe, and well-equipped environment for patients, family members, and staff; follows departmental and organizational directives to isolate and process contaminated instruments and supplies; cleans rooms, furniture, instruments, and equipment according to established polices and procedures
Additional for MA II and I:
- Draws-up and labels medications on sterile and unsterile field for immediate verification and administration by the practitioner; verbalizes preparation and shows practitioner medication container; as ordered by authorized practitioner, calls patient prescriptions to pharmacy
Additional for MA I:
- Assists practitioner with highly specialized procedures (i.e. medicine administration, highly specialized and technical office-based medical, or surgical procedures, splint manufacture, chain of custody urine collection)
- Additional essential functions as listed in the complete job description
- Graduate of post high school medical assisting program with 200 hours clinical externship, military medical specialist training or completion of two year on-the-job training in medical assisting
- Current BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification
- Certification in specialty area, if applicable
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in interpersonal relations, customer service, detail-oriented, problem solving, teamwork, creativity/innovation, and meet variable workloads
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone
- Reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English
- Training/giving and receiving instructions
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g. organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration, and alertness
Additional for Medical Assistant III:
- Rank 91B10 or higher as Army Medical Specialist or other military branch Medical Specialist equivalent with three months experience
- Completion of either of the two may be considered as equivalency for education requirement: 1) one full semester of RN Adult Health Nursing coursework and its companion clinical placement, OR 2) completion of two full semesters LPN coursework, with related clinical placements. Fully qualified RN or LPN may also be considered as equivalent to education and training listed above
Additional for Medical Assistant II:
- Rank 91B10 or higher as Army Medical Specialist or other military branch Medical Specialist equivalent with one year experience or graduate medical assisting program with nine months continuous experience
- Fully qualified RN or LPN may be considered as equivalent to education and training listed above
- Obtain passing score of 80% on pharmacology exam
- Two years of relevant medical assisting experience and successful completion of formal pharmacology course may be considered as equivalent to formal education or attending in-house pharmacology course
Additional for Medical Assistant I:
- Rank 91B10 or higher as Army Medical Specialist or other military branch Medical Specialist equivalent with eighteen months experience, or graduate of medical assisting program with one year continuous experience
- If medication administration required of job, then must obtain passing score of 80% on pharmacology exam and attend class sponsored by Kaiser Permanente on Administration of Medications (and complete required medication administration competency annually)
- If assisting in office-based medical or surgical procedures requiring highly specialized equipment is required of job, then must successfully complete and maintain required competencies annually for the general surgical assistant role, the specific procedures in which they assist and the specialized handling and cleaning of the equipment
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.