Ensuring Each Facility's Aesthetic and Success
From maintaining the aesthetic appearance of our grounds to driving environmental services at our facilities to managing product inventory and distribution, our facilities services and materials management team members are vital to the daily upkeep of our medical centers and business facilities.
Sterile Processing Technician LeadLocation: Honolulu, HI Additional Locations:
Job Number: 826940 Date posted: 10/04/2019
Under indirect supervision, assists in distribution of sterile & contaminated supplies to nursing inpatient & clinic departments; inventories & stocks supply carts; fills requisitions as required; washes, decontaminates, checks, assembles, wraps, sterilizes, stores, & issues trays, instruments, supplies & equipment. In addition, ensures all assignments are performed in accordance to department standards; provides orientation/training & coordinates work of Sterile Processing Technician II & I.
- Segregates all used instruments, equipment apparatus, & other articles returned to CSD according to decontamination method; loads appropriate items in washer; washes other items in sonic cleaner or manually, using approved detergent; wipes dry; washes appropriate items in cart-washer; changes graph paper of processing equipment.
- Assembles instruments; sets-up variety of general & special trays; wraps & seals items in wrappers according to established procedures in preparation for sterilization. In addition, inspects surgical instrumentation for proper function.
- Runs sterilizer test packs according to policy; incubates & interprets biological indicator; notifies supervisor immediately of any abnormal results.
- Performs sterilization procedures in accordance w/ sterilization standards & departmental policies & procedures; practices universal precautions & infection control procedures; ensures safe sterilization; detects any malfunction of equipment; checks equipment indicators before, during & after each load to ensure proper equipment settings; applies load identification label to each package after sterilization process complete; shelves appropriately. Demonstrates working knowledge of surgical equipment & supplies, including special care & sterilization procedures.; assumes responsibility for appropriate care, processing, & sterilization of specialty instruments for varied surgical services, (e.g. bronchoscopes, laser, midas rex, laparoscope); assists O.R. staff by sterilizing specialty equipment &/or obtaining additional or extra supplies required for procedures; assists w/ room preparation &/or clean-up activities to assure timely turnover of surgical suites & increase utilization of resources. Checks sterilization control procedures performed by subordinates for completeness; corrects errors as needed; ensures all assignments are performed in accordance to department standards; performs biological testing to monitor & assure sterilization process is complete, trains & assists staff w/ sterilization equipment usage; monitors other staff members who may assist in decontamination & sterilization process; coordinates room preparation &/or clean-up activities to assure timely turnover of surgical suites & increase utilization of resources.
- Adheres to all aspects of sterility control, universal precautions & infection control practices; participates in departmental meetings, inservice programs & quality assurance activities to keep abreast of current trends; researches methods & processes to maximize effectiveness & reduce wastage of resources; recognizes own learning needs & seeks knowledge to increase skills & abilities. In addition, monitors & promotes adherence to sterility control, universal precautions & infection control practices by others; provides inservices on sterility as appropriate; recommends methods & processes to maximize effectiveness & reduce wastage of resources; participates on inter-departmental task force or councils to monitor, review & evaluate quality control activities; reviews processes to identify problems & seek process improvement/resolution; makes recommendations to committee &/or appropriate person to improve process.
- Receives & prepares items requiring gas sterilization; ensures proper packaging; arranges for transport & return of items to outside facility; ensures all return items have been sterilized; verifies all items sent out are returned; ensures provision of manufacturer documentation for gas sterilization by requesting department.
- Reviews & maintains sterilizer load indicators; files reports; completes log; recalls positive biological products from user departments.
- Inspects color of tapes on newly autoclaved items & on stored sterile packs on all supply shelves; sends outdated supplies for reprocessing or replacement; restocks shelf items as needed.
- Cleans & performs minor daily maintenance of equipment; reassembles & tests equipment after decontamination; reports equipment failures or errors immediately to maintenance & notifies supervisor/lead; prepares repair requisition for equipment or other items returned due to malfunction. Ensures that maintenance is done according to department standards; coordinates repair requisitions w/ appropriate departments.
- Checks, organizes, & restocks supplies on shelves; pulls outdated articles; receives & checks quantities of supplies from warehouse.
- Takes & fills orders for supplies; refers to appropriate person as needed; prepares, checks & organizes requisitions & supply cart issue forms; ensures accurate charges to facilitate data entry; inventories & restocks departmental supply carts & specialty carts; records issues for each cart restocked; completes required records; assists in obtaining supplies/equipment from other facilities when necessary; uses supplies w/ close attention to cost containment & reduction of costs; assists in evaluating new supplies.
- Maintains daily inventory of all equipment; inputs inventory data in computer as assigned; files completed requisitions & forms; updates replenishment area profiles as necessary; enters counts; prints & issues picklists; participates in cyclical & annual inventory procedures; removes all questionable & outdated supplies from supply areas; inspects sterility of supplies & makes arrangements for re-sterilization or reordering as needed; rotates stock as necessary; assists w/ ordering & receiving departmental stock & non-stock items. Assists in stocking & restocking surgical supply areas; maintains inventory supply listings of instruments; maintains itemized list of st&ard instrument trays & contents. Coordinates ordering of supplies needed for department operations; maintains log of supply locations; assists management w/ coordination of physical inventory process; assists in determining explanation for inventory variances; makes recommendations to reduce, delete or substitute more cost effective supplies; researches, recommends & coordinates requests for changes regarding surgical instrument trays, equipment, & inventory.
- Cleans & maintains neat & orderly work areas according to department standards; wipes & straightens shelves, tables & equipment; wipes shelves, carts & drawers, while restocking. Ensures that work area is clean & orderly.
- Logs surgical specimens & sends to pathology at appropriate time; checks & orders formalin daily for O.R. specimens.
- Checks & logs blood refrigerator temperature daily; reports variances; transports blood form blood bank to O.R.; returns unused blood following procedure.
- Monitors O.R. environment to assure safety of patients, staff & visitors; reviews departmental safety policies & procedures; demonstrates understanding of safety policies & procedures in daily duties. In addition, ensures O.R. environment is safe for patients, staff & visitors; recommends departmental safety policies & procedures.
- Keeps abreast of current trends in sterile processing & inventory control. Serves as resource for O.R. staff regarding decontamination & sterilization processes, procedures, supplies, inventory & equipment.
- Uses effective communication skills to collaborate w/ other team members & interact w/ other departments; accepts & gives constructive feedback.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, & abilities necessary to provide culturally sensitive care &/or service.
- Performs other duties & accepts responsibility as assigned.
- Two (2) years CSD or Operating Room sterilization experience including basic turnover surgical processes.
- Supervisory/lead experience.
- Post high school coursework in microbiology or related field; or equivalent combination of education (lesser) & experience may be considered in lieu of requirements.
License, Certification, Registration
- Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) by the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) Or Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) by International Association of Healthcare Central Services Materiel Management (IAHCSMM).
- Demonstrated working knowledge of medical terminology, basic principles of microbiology, extensive knowledge of methods of sterilization, infection control, universal precautions, use of sterilizers, decontamination equipment and procedures, intricate specialty equipment, surgical instrumentation by name and usage, principles for inventory control, monitoring, utilization and establishment of
par levels for supplies, equipment and instrumentation, and technical equipment; ability to troubleshoot and make recommendations for repairs and/or replacement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in oral communication, written communication, customer service, interpersonal relations, detailorientation, problem solving, and decision making.
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
- Reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.
- Training/giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g., organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration and alertness.
- Post high school coursework in management.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Facilities Services & Materials Management Careers
Facilities Services & Materials Management Careers
Handling the administration of all activities concerned with the ordering, storage, and movement of materials — as well as assessing, maintaining, and improving the upkeep and appearance of our facilities — as a member of this team you'll help everything look and run its best inside and outside our 600+ locations. Working in building management, maintenance, sourcing, purchasing, environmental services, and more, you'll play a vital role in ensuring the success of our organization.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.