Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Surgical Technician ILocation: Honolulu, HI Job Number: 905317 Date posted: 09/29/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Serves as scrub person for complex surgical procedures
- Follows department procedures for scrub persons; assembles surgical packs, supplies and instruments for surgical cases, prepares operating room for surgery; assures sterile packages- integrity and expiration date before opening; inspects instruments and power equipment prior to use to assure operational order
- Troubleshoots, reports, and removes faulty instrument and equipment from service
- Assures adequate amount of appropriate supplies and instrumentation are available in accordance with surgeon-s preference; counts all instruments, needles and sponges with registered nurse according to procedure
- Anticipates surgeon-s needs; as directed by surgeon, assists surgeon by draping patients, holding/passing instruments, retractors, sutures, and medications, applying surgical dressings, suctioning, and sponging surgical wounds, holding extremities, and moving patients
- Inventories and monitors instruments, sponges, and needles on operative field using department count procedures
- Adjusts instrumentation and supplies to changes in procedures and patient condition
- Assists with monitoring and reporting blood and fluid loss during cases
- In conjunction with Registered Nurse, ascertains correctness of count prior to closure of body cavities and surgical wound
- Assist circulating nurse with restocking the room at end of shift
- Performs or assists in sterile preps as needed/requested; monitors aseptic techniques of surgical team members at field; reports and corrects breaks in sterile technique immediately; controls location of contaminated instruments and supplies
- Orients and trains Surgical Technologist IIs and IIIs as needed; provides feedback of same to supervisor; reviews, recommends and assists in updating department policies, procedures and protocols for surgical technologists
- Serves as resource/reference source to Surgical Technologists and other staff members with regards to surgical instrumentation; provides and conducts in-services as needed
- Additional essential functions as listed in the complete job description
- Four years of experience as Surgical Technologist and full competency of skills as evidenced by ability to scrub for ALL of following cases: general surgery, orthopedics, gynecology, eyes, ENT, plastics, neurosurgery, vascular, thoracic, and genito-urinary
- Completion of an accredited Surgical Technology training program
- Current BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer Certification
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, change management, decision making, customer service, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, systems thinking, teamwork, initiative, and detail-orientation
- Ability to orient and train as needed
- Must be able to rotate on call
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone
- Reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English
- Training/giving and receiving instructions
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g. organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration, and alertness
- Experience scrubbing in an acute hospital setting
- Post High School OR training course work
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) by the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST)
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!