Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Ward ClerkLocation: Honolulu, HI Additional Locations:
Job Number: 770596 Date posted: 03/11/2019
- Answers phone(s) on Unit and manages calls appropriately. Takes phone reports from Lab, Diagnostic Imaging, and other Departments accurately, and delivers to proper nurse. Calls and schedules clinic appointments for patients who need help, when directed by RN/LPN. Refers all calls from physicians to appropriate nursing staff.
- Uses systems to assist with the processing of orders. Verifies ADT information. Uses manual system when computer is down.
- Answers PTS and keeps station ready and available. Retrieves meds and supplies and delivers to proper place/person. Reports maintenance problems immediately.
- Uses systems to support nursing and unit staff. Uses manual system when computer is down.
- Maintains inventory of Unit supplies. Orders non-stock items as directed. Orders stock items to maintain par level. Transport/arranges for transport of supplies and equipment between Units or Departments as needed.
- Supports unit during computer downtime. Obtains downtime kit as appropriate.
- Xeroxes and processes charts and other documents as directed by Supervisor or RN.
- Communicates ADT information to Admitting Department and Shift Supervisor/Bed Control.
- Answers nurse call console and refers patient calls to appropriate person. Picks-up blood/blood products from Lab as directed by RN. Picks-up non-controlled medications from Pharmacy. Picks-up supplies/equipment from other Departments.
- Calls acuity forecast to Staffing Office by designated times. Tallies and completes daily Acuity Sheets. Calls updated acuity. Completes additional tasks on individual Units per standards/procedures or Supervisor instructions.
- Uses systems to assist physicians. During computer downtime, transcribes physicians orders to appropriate medical record and other forms accurately. Completes request forms/orders entry for diagnostic tests, consultations, referrals. Schedules special tests with in-house and outside agencies and documents appointment. Makes arrangements for patient transport to outside agencies and departments.
- Functions with awareness of and applies safety principles/standards as defined by Hospital, including, environmental and employee issues. Reports incidents, work related injuries, unsafe equipment or environment to supervisor or other appropriate person.
- Functions with awareness of and applies infection control principles/standards as defined by Hospital. Keeps work area neat, clean and orderly.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient/hospital information.
- Transmits messages and other pertinent information to appropriate staff members. Picks up, sorts, and delivers Unit and patient mail.
- Follows Nursing Department/Unit specific standards/policies/procedures/protocols/ guidelines.
- Remains calm in emergency patient care/Unit situations.
- Completes required in-services annually. Participates in orientation of new clerical staff.
- Post high school coursework in Medical Terminology or equivalent related experience.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification.
- Type 30 wpm.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in conflict resolution, decision making, customer service, influence, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, teamwork, written communication, organizational skills, time management, and initiative.
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
- Reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English.
- Training/giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g. organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration, and alertness.
- Experience in transcribing physician's orders, computer skills, setting up and maintaining file systems.
- Post high school coursework in commercial or vocational secretarial science.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.