Licensed Nurses & Physician Assistants
The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
Case Manager Utilization RN, 20/hr EveningLocation: Irvine, CA Job Number: 905076 Date posted: 11/25/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Works collaboratively with an MD to coordinate and screen for the appropriateness of admissions and Continued stays. Makes recommendations to the physicians for alternate levels of care when the patient does not meet the medical necessity for Inpatient hospitalization. Interacts with the family, patient and other disciplines to coordinate a safe and acceptable discharge plan. Functions as an indirect caregiver, patient advocate and manages patients in the most cost effective way without compromising quality. Transfers stable non-members to planned Health care facilities. Responsible for complying with AB 1203, Post Stabilization notification. Complies with other duties as described. Must be able to work collaboratively with the Multidisciplinary team, multitask and in a fast pace environment.
- Plans, develops, assesses & evaluates care provided to members.
- Collaborates with physicians, other members of the multidisciplinary health care team & patient/family in the development, implementation & documentation of appropriate, individualized plans of care to ensure continuity, quality & appropriate resource use.
- Recommends alternative levels of care & ensures compliance with federal, state & local requirements.
- Assesses high risk patients in need of post-hospital care planning.
- Develops & coordinates the implementation of a discharge plan to meet patient's identified needs.
- Communicates the plan to physicians, patient, family/caregivers, staff & appropriate community agencies.
- Reviews, monitors, evaluates & coordinates the patient's hospital stay to assure that all appropriate & essential services are delivered timely & efficiently.
- Participates in the Bed Huddles & carries out recommendations congruent with the patient's needs.
- Coordinates the interdisciplinary approach to providing continuity of care, including Utilization management, Transfer coordination, Discharge planning, & obtaining all authorizations/approvals as needed for outside services for patients/families.
- Conducts daily clinical reviews for utilization/quality management activities based on guidelines/standards for patients in a variety of settings, including outpatient, emergency room, inpatient & non-KFH facilities.
- Acts as a liaison between in-patient facility & referral facilities/agencies & provides case management to patients referred.
- Refers patients to community resources to meet post hospital needs.
- Coordinates transfer of patients to appropriate facilities; maintains & provides required documentation.
- Adheres to internal & external regulatory & accreditation requirements & compliance guidelines
including but not limited to: TJC, DHS, HCFA, CMS, DMHC, NCQA & DOL.
- Educates members of the healthcare team concerning their roles & responsibilities in the discharge
planning process & appropriate use of resources.
- Provides patients with education to assist with their discharge & help them cope with psychological
problems related to acute & chronic illness.
- Per established protocols, reports any incidence of unusual occurrences related to quality, risk and/or
patient safety which are identified during case review or other activities.
- Reviews, analyses & identifies utilization patterns & trends, problems or inappropriate utilization of resources & participates in the collection & analysis of data for special studies, projects, planning, or for routine utilization monitoring activities.
- Coordinates, participates & or facilitates care planning rounds & patient family conferences as needed.
- Participates in committees, teams or other work projects/duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years clinical experience as an RN in an acute care setting required.
- Completion of an accredited RN training program that allows graduates to take RN license exam.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Current California RN license required.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize/apply the general and specialized principles, practices, techniques and methods of Utilization review/management, discharge planning or case management.
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements and accreditation standards (TJC, Medicare, Medi-Cal, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to utilize written and verbal communication, interpersonal, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability in planning, organizing, conflict resolution and negotiating skills.
- Computer literacy skills required.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing or healthcare related field preferred.
- Every other weekend required.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!