Gastrointestinal Technician II
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Under direct supervision, provides functional guidance to assigned staff; incubate patients; analyzes collected specimens; and assist physicians with endoscopic and sigmoidoscopic procedures.
- Obtain patient specimens. Perform venipuncture&skin punctures to obtain blood samples. Perform samples&specimens for lab analysis. Perform routine diagnostic test. Anesthetize patients w/ topical or aerosol medication. Assist physicians&medical staff w/ procedures, diagnostic examinations&treatments. Assist physician in obtaining tissue specimens&biopsies. Assist w/ protocological procedures (e.g., sigmoid exams). Select&pass instruments. Schedule, cancel or reschedule patient appointments. Initiate follow-up appointments w/ patients. Key DKAs into automated system. Schedule procedure rooms. Schedule patient appointments&procedures. Record&chart patient data. Interview patients&collect patient data. Consult w/ physicians concerning test results&alert physicians to positive test results or test abnormalities. Report negative/positive specimens. Transcribe test results onto lab slips. Call provider on positive test results. Explain test procedures&purpose. Analyze collected specimens for volume, acidity or other standard measures. Assist in obtaining tissue specimens. Assist physician in developing new techniques&procedures. Assist provider in patient examinations&procedures. Consult w/ provider concerning procedures&patient condition. Follow standard infection control procedures. Lift patients. Modify treatment techniques, which do not require change in physician orders. Instruct patient how to prepare for procedures. Explain diets. Monitor&evaluate test readings during procedures. Observe, monitor&evaluate patient condition during&after procedures. Prepare samples&specimens for lab analysis. Prepare&position patients for diagnostic test&medical procedures. Respond to emergencies (i.e., Code Blue)&stat requests. Shave&apply antiseptic solutions to patient skin areas. Take, record&monitor patient vital signs. Transport patients' to/from procedure area. Assist physician w/ fluoroscopic examinations.
- Perform ear wash procedures. Assist physician in locating tumors. Acts as member of other surgery team (for example, pass instruments, cut sutures,&hold retractors). Assist physician in gastroenterology/procedures (for example, endosopies). Assist physician w/ inserting&advancing scope during GI procedures. Monitor I.V. solutions. Other procedures may be schlerotherapy, Suctioning, Xray - fluoroscopic, Photographic, Dilatation - balloon, bougies, blood specimen processing, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, culture preparation, cytology, Gastrointestinal/Gall Bladder Examination, Microscopic, Minor Surgical, ovum¶site examination, pap smear, polypectomy. Accountable for cleaning&filling specimen jars w/ solutions. Prepare solutions&surgical tissue specimens. Centrifuge or filter&separate specimens. Develop film&make prints. Dilute specimens. Prepare control slides, clean procedures room&work area. Operate scope disinfector. Pick up; deliver other specimens to&from laboratory. Assemble&disassemble equipment&instruments. Ensure equipment is available for procedures&examinations. Adjust equipment in preparation for&during procedures. Check emergency equipment. Prepare procedures&exam rooms. Select&set out appropriate tubings&sterile supplies. Set up instruments&surgical trays. Maintain sterilized supplies, instruments&equipment for surgical procedures. Decontaminate equipment. Removed&inventory equipment&supplies after surgical procedures. Soak instrument. Arrange for repair of equipment. Equipment may include Computer, Washing&Cleaning supplies, closed circuit TV - GI video. Others are periteonoscope, heat probe, colonoscope, photographic&related equipment. Inspect equipment&instruments for damage. Maintain equipment in good working order. Perform minor adjustments and/or repairs on equipment. Replace expendable parts on equipment. Test equipment. Fill request for equipment&supplies. Maintain&order supplies. Dispose of used syringes&contaminated materials. Inventory equipment&supplies. Replenish supplies&equipment. Orient&train new or less experienced personnel. Prepare department work schedules. Provide functional direction to assigned staff. Attend conferences, meetings&in-service training programs. Serve as resource person to co-workers by answering procedural questions&assisting in problem solving. Answer telephones&take messages. Conduct in-service training. Assume other activities&responsibilities form time to time as directed.
Pay Grade: 26
• One (1) year experience in an acute care or ambulatory setting assisting in the performance of endoscopic procedures.
License, Certification, Registration
• Current California license as a Licensed Vocational Nurse with I.V certification
• Valid BLS card
• This is an on-call position, days and hours may vary.
• If ten (10) hour option chosen, shift will be 7:30am-6:00pm, back-up 8 hour shift will be 10:00am-6:30pm.
• Need to provide availability according to union, plus Sat
• Excellent service skills
• May float to other KPOC GI areas.
• Train 40hrs/wk.
• Use of appropriate PPE on the job.