Explore Your Future
With powerful technologies at your fingertips, you'll be the foundation for delivering accurate diagnoses as you ensure an unparalleled patient experience.
Laboratory Assistant SHLocation: Jonesboro, GA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 818613 Date posted: 08/05/2019
- Collect laboratory specimens: Perform venipuncture proficiently on all age groups. Escort members for urine specimen collection to the rest room and explain collection procedure. Follow department policies/procedures for specimen collection, including Standard Precautions. Maintain a professional demeanor/appearance per regional policy while collecting specimens. Research and collect appropriate specimen for the test requested. Address members properly, collecting specimens efficiently with compassion. Clearly explain, ensure understanding of collection/storage instructions for patients with take home tests. Promptly respond to requests for venipunctures to be performed in areas outside of the lab. Be familiar with emergency codes and be able to execute appropriate emergency procedures. Protect PHI per HIPAA, including shred or properly dispose of all unused labels. Keep work area/ phlebotomy room clean/stocked with in date supplies, complete checklist.
- Deliver great customer service: Show care and respect for members at all times, resolving issues or finding someone who can. Establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers. Prioritize work to meet member/customer needs; e.g. be mindful of wait times. Consistently displays good communication skills.
- Perform necessary front desk functions: Greet members promptly using good customer service skills (make eye contact, smile). Exhibit competency in Cerner, the laboratory information system. Exhibit competency in HealthConnect. Maintain a professional demeanor/appearance per regional policy while checking in members. Use good telephone etiquette (give name, location). No eating, drinking, chewing gum, or applying makeup. Process infertility orders/payments accurately. Monitor the waiting area for members waiting, using the Caution List. Protect PHI per HIPAA. Keep front desk and waiting area neat and stocked with in date supplies&patient instructions.
- Process specimens: Process stats, coagulation and other time sensitive specimens immediately. Notify the technologist when stats are brought into the technical area or call sister lab when sending a STAT. Follow through with add-on requests. Follow department policies/procedures for processing specimens. Monitor pending functions daily to ensure all collected specimens have been processed. Keep accessioning work area clean/stocked with in date necessary and appropriate supplies, complete checklist.
- Be informed/provide information: Complete all mandatory training, policy/procedure review and competency requirements. Assist with preparation of facility lab, participate in internal DHR inspections, being prepared to answer inspectors' questions. Attend department and facility meetings as well as applicable in-service education programs. Responsible for reading and complying with information communicated in weekly laboratory newsletters. Document quality issues and communicate to supervisor.
- One (1) year of phlebotomy experience with children and adults.
- High School diploma or GED.
License, Certification, Registration
- American Heart Association BLS certification prior to start date.
- Completion of a phlebotomy training program.
- Must demonstrate good customer service skills.
- Must be able to work indepenently.
- Must have a history of punctuality.
- Must have a history of good attendance.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Laboratory Careers
Our clinical laboratory scientists, phlebotomists, and lab techs work in both outpatient clinics and hospital settings and have an opportunity to gain exposure to different areas, including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, urinalysis, and the blood bank. We also operate reference laboratories, which serve as hubs for specimen processing and analysis as well as specialized testing — such as microbiology and molecular biology. Offering modern facilities, advanced equipment, and scheduling options, we provide a dynamic environment in which you'll continue to learn and grow.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.