Certified Ophthalmic Technician
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
$2, 500 sign-on bonus eligible position!
SEIU Local 105 - $28.39 - $31.99
“May be entitled to translation/bilingual, shift or other wage premiums as governed by the applicable collective bargaining agreement. Please refer to the respective collective bargaining agreement for additional information on such wage premiums: https://www.lmpartnership.org/local-contracts."
- This position, knows and complies with all Kaiser Permanente quality, safety, and emergency policies and procedures. Demonstrates quality and effectiveness in work habits and clinical practice in every interaction with patients, colleagues, providers, and leadership. Ensures patient safety in the preparation and provisioning of care related to but not limited to medications, procedures, infection prevention, fall prevention, including consistent use of two patient identifiers and procedural time outs. Reports safety hazards, accidents and incidents, and unsafe working conditions promptly.
- Prepares examination and treatment rooms for use by medical providers by cleaning, stocking and arranging supplies.
- Reviews appointment schedule to determine patient visit orders; greets and escorts patient to examination or treatment room; and instructs or assists patient in preparation for scheduled procedure. Interviews patient to obtain ocular history, family history, systemic illness, allergies and medications.
- Performs basic and routine vision screening examinations as directed, recording data on standard format for interpretation by medical provider. This includes: Visual acuity - cc and sc glasses/ distance and near; Steropsis; Color testing; Tonometry - NCT/Application; and Lensometry.
- Performs other technical skills as directed by physician which will include: Keratometry (manual or automatic); Retinoscopy; Refractometry (manual or automatic); Potential acuity meter; visual field; Photography (fundus, anterior segment & external); Ultrasound (axial length measurements); and the removal, cleaning and insertion of contact lenses.
- Scribes pertinent medical findings, assessment and plan, as dictated by eye care provider.
- Assists medical providers during minor surgical and laser (Argon, Yag) procedures by setting up necessary equipment (e.g. lenses, goniosol, drops, etc.); attending to patient during procedure; and providing appropriate supplies and instruments as directed, while strictly adhering to sterile technique.
- Cleans, packages and sterilizes reusable supplies and instruments as needed, using an autoclave or germicidal solution. Cleans and maintains ophthalmic instruments (e.g. slit lamp, ophthalmoscopes, lenses, etc.), appropriately.
- Sorts, labels and files photographic slides.
- Performs routine clerical and reception duties as directed, such as ordering supplies, filing progress sheets, completing patient visit records, maintaining departmental logs, answering phones, taking messages, checking in patients and using the on-line computer system appropriately.
- Administers eye medications (drops) as ordered by physician.
- Performs other duties as assigned, such as assisting in orienting and training new employees, transporting equipment and patients, stocking shelves and taking inventories.
- In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Kaiser Permanente Service Quality Credo, the KP Mission as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors.