Clinical Nurse Specialist, RN Critical Care FTLos Angeles, California
At Kaiser Permanente our nurses are leaders, clinicians, researchers, innovators, and scientists who are contributing toward being an industry-leading voice for advancing evidence-based care. Whether supporting the patient directly in our hospitals or clinics, providing care at home, serving our patients through innovative virtual technology, or managing care delivery teams, Kaiser Permanente nurses utilize scientific evidence and our integrated care model to optimize the total health of our members and the communities we serve. We invite nurses who are passionate about nursing excellence, high-quality compassionate care delivery, professionalism, integrity, teamwork and patient and family centeredness to join our teams so that we can continue to sustain and build upon our culture of excellence.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
We’re looking for Nurse Leaders who possess the following traits.
- Socially Conscientious
We offer several benefits to our nurses.
Medical, Vision & Dental
Educational Opportunities & Tuition Reimbursement
Supportive Teams & Resources
Career Growth & Development
At Kaiser Permanente, we cultivate an environment of compassion, integrity, trust, and open communication that helps our teams do their best work. We believe that lifelong learning will expand our knowledge so we can better serve our patients. Our practice is rooted in research and evidence-based care. Our nurses reflect the rich diversity of our members and communities and provide culturally responsive and competent care that promotes understanding of our members needs and preferences. At Kaiser Permanente, nurses are highly skilled professionals who exemplify leadership, critical thinking, and collaborative problem solving and deliver the right care, at the right time, in the right setting.
What Our People Are Saying
Relief Charge Nurse
“Working as a nurse at Kaiser Permanente has allowed me the perfect flexible schedule so that I can volunteer as Girl Scout Leader and room parent for both my children. My kids know that I am a hardworking mother who can provide, as well as a mom who can be present and be there for them – and that means everything to me.”
RN, Advice Nurse
“Working for Kaiser Permanente has allowed me to take control of my future and make my goals a possibility. I feel that Kaiser Permanente allows me to keep climbing and moving. Having that ability truly makes me feel empowered.”
Registered Nurse IV
“Kaiser Permanente has taken me on a personal and educational growth journey. I am supported by a culture of excellence that allows me to be dedicated to patients and patients’ families every day at work. What an honor to be part of Kaiser Permanente.”.
Inpatient Lactation Consultant
“As an RN/IBCLC in Maternal Child, I’m meeting families at a pivotal time — I’m there to help launch a new family into the world. Everything I do has the potential to impact a family’s health for generations to come.”
Quality Coordinator RN
“In Hawaii, your community is your family — or ‘ohana.’ I am able to provide extraordinary patient-centered care to my ohana.”
Appointment and Advice RN
“The location is fantastic. Kaiser Permanente is all over the country. You can pick almost any environment you want – from ocean to mountain to city. You’ll still be able to contribute to our mission of providing high quality health care at a local facility.”
“I chose Kaiser Permanente because their staff and providers really show that they care about you. Also, throughout my 12 years of working here I’m always learning something new, and I’ve had many opportunities for growth and development.”
Clinical Nurse Specialist, RN Critical Care FT
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Please visit the Technical Information page for assistance or reach out to the web manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
$5,000 sign-on bonus eligible position!
The Clinical Nurse Specialist role at Kaiser Permanente Southern California Region is a clinical manager who partners with the operational manager to ensure that nursing staff delivers safe and effective care. The role is built around the five role subcomponents as regulated by the California Board of Registered Nursing: Leadership, Consultation, Research, Education, and Clinical Practice.
- Develops area of specialty competency criteria for outcome monitoring of the staff.
- Assists in interviewing staff and provides input into evaluations regarding clinical competence, participating in the creation, implementation, and follow up of action plans for professional, competency development and recommending terminations when appropriate.
- Conducts cost/benefit analysis of new clinical technologies resulting in recommendations for implementation and budgets.
- Provides coaching and counseling to the nursing staff and other health care providers.
- Participates as a part of management in providing 24 hour clinical leadership by developing standards of practice, policies and procedures for a specialty patient population that are consistent with professional practice standards.
- Partners with fellow clinical and operational managers in implementing methods and processes in specialty area to support change in nursing practice, care programs and clinical innovation achieving improved patient/family outcomes.
- Evaluates clinical practice in areas of specialty to ensure community/professional standards are met.
- Manages high risk patients in the area of specialty in order to achieve safe, high quality, cost effective outcomes for the system.
- Rounds with the multi-disciplinary team in specialty area (any setting & includes community needs assessments).
- Evaluates policies and procedures for clinical nursing practice in specialty area integrating the evidence from systematic reviews.
- Facilitates multidisciplinary collaboration based on clinical needs of patient/family related to specialty area.
- Participates in outcomes research/evidence based practice projects.
- Identifies clinical quality indicators for specialty populations.
- Conducts systematic reviews in a specialty area. Implements methods & processes in area of specialty to sustain change in nursing practice, programs of care, and clinical innovation.
- Active involvement with specialty specific professional organizations as evidenced by participation on the professional organization leadership and operational groups (such as Committees) and/or participation at professional conferences.
- Develops, implements/coordinates, and evaluates specialty education programs for patient and families.
- Develops, implements/coordinates, and evaluates specialty training programs for nursing staff, including nurses in the communities.
- Leads multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Develops, implements and evaluates successful projects using scientific operations management principles and methodologies.
- Investigates and resolves patient/family/member concerns regarding the delivery of nursing care.
- Develops, monitors, and supervises policies that integrate business and organization plans in operations.
- Ensures that patient care and quality standards meet and comply with federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and established departmental policy and procedures, utilization, and clinical performance standards and measures.
- Specific for Comprehensive Strokes Centers:
- Support delivery of evidence-based acute stroke assessment and management
- Provide expert nursing consultation and practice oversight
- Develop and deliver acute stroke continuing education programs
- Participate in performance improvement (PI) processes
- Participate in comprehensive stroke center research
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in area of specialty required.
- Clinical master's degree in nursing, in area of specialization.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
- California Clinical Nurse Specialist Certification in area of specialty.
- Current California RN license.
- Current BLS certificate
- Demonstrated clinical expertise in area of specialty.
- Recent project management experience.
- Consistently demonstrates the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to customers, contracted providers, and vendors.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist experience preferred.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest
Ranked among the nation’s best
Every hospital that’s part of the Kaiser Permanente system earned “high performing” recognition in the latest U.S. News and World Report’s annual rankings. That means all 39 of our hospitals are among the top 20% in the nation.
Awarded for excellence
We’re proud that so many of our hospitals have earned Magnet status. It shows our real commitment to outcomes, safety, quality, efficiency, and, most importantly, to our nurses.
Recognizing nurses during Nurses Month in 2022
We’re thanking each one of our 65,000 Kaiser Permanente nurses for everything they’ve done for us and for the nation. Thank you for choosing to be a nurse and for leading our transformation of care.
Experience nursing excellence
Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.