Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Hemodialysis TechnicianLocation: Los Angeles, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 786844 Date posted: 07/08/2019
- Provide therapeutic care to patients in accordance w/ treatment prescription & nursing policies, procedures, standards & schedules.
- Receive patient into treatment area; perform & record weight, vital signs & all other parameters of ESRD patients per policy and/or state regulation pre & post dialysis; documents all data gathered & reports to RN.
- May recommend dialysis ultra-filtration plan to RN, observe & monitor status of vascular access, initiate dialysis via approved dialysis accesses using proper cannulation techniques, & comply w/ infection control & safety measures.
- Document activities appropriately.
- Follows infection control policies.
- Prepare dialysate per policy & procedure.
- Data Collection of designated patient information.
- Initiate, monitor & terminate dialysis treatment. Constant monitoring of patient.
- Initiates appropriate emergency procedures & report unusual conditions.
- Assist nurses & physicians as directed during routine & emergency procedures. Monitor & evaluate test readings during procedures.
- Stock, distribute & maintain supplies for hemodialysis patients.
- Inventory, order & restock all supplies & equipment as required in unit. Clean & restock work area.
- Perform only under direction of an RN: Instruct patient in the care of vascular access, review prescription, & reinforce treatment care w/ patient
- Administer quality patient care in a considerate, respectful manner at all times
- Performs all functions conscientiously & in a timely manner w/in established guidelines
- Set up & monitor dialysis machines & Reverse Osmosis system
- Prepare dialysate according to policy & procedure.
- Assist in the maintenance of dialysis equipment.
- Clean & sterilize equipment using hospital-approved disinfectant.
- Monitor operation of equipment for leaks, restrict flow, & pump failures.
- Calibrate & adjust equipment in preparation for & during procedures.
- Keep all equipment clean & operative.
- Trouble shoots & performs minor equipment repair.
- Perform quality control & safety checks of equipment & instruments & record findings.
- Perform chemical testing & analyzing & record findings.
- Document findings & report any malfunctioning equipment timely & appropriately
- Operates other equipment or machine such glucometers, ph meter & various test strips for water quality testing
- Clean & sterilize equipment using hospital-approved disinfectant
- Performs QC of machine & document findings
- Completes treatment records after each treatment according to policies & procedures
- Know & comply w/ Infection Control policy & safety program
- Maintain current licensure & certifications.
- Know facility emergency plans & act appropriately in an emergency.
- Assume other activities & responsibilities from time to time as directed.
- One (1) year of recent experience as a Hemodialysis Technician required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Current California Hemodialysis Technician certificate required.
- Current CMS-approved national certification required.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Completed a hemodialysis training program that is approved by the medical director and governing body, under the direction of a registered nurse, focused on the operation of kidney dialysis equipment and machines, providing direct patient care, and communication and interpersonal skills, including patient sensitivity training and care of difficult patients.
- The training program must include the following subjects: Principles of dialysis; Care of patients with kidney failure, including interpersonal skills; Dialysis procedures and documentation, including initiation, proper cannulation - techniques, monitoring, and termination of dialysis; possible complications of dialysis; Water treatment and dialysate preparation; Infection control; Safety; Dialyzer reprocessing, if applicable.
- Vision Requirement: The ability to discern colors is an essential job function for persons responsible for reading color metric tests.
- Water hardness test - Must be capable of distinguishing between different shades of pink and other colors.
- Chloramine test - Must be capable of distinguishing between the colors of blue, purple, and red.
- Cannulation skills, establishing/ cannulating buttonhole preferred.
- Basic computer skills and proficiency: Word, Excel, PowerPoint preferred.
- Fluent in the written and verbal skills necessary to perform successfully the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to read, speak and write English with clarity of expression sufficient to communicate technical and complex concepts to staff, patients and patient's family members in clear and easily understandable terms required.
- Ability to understand clinical/medical vocabulary written or spoken in English required.
- This is an on call position, days and hours may vary.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.