Explore Your Future
With powerful technologies at your fingertips, you'll be the foundation for delivering accurate diagnoses as you ensure an unparalleled patient experience.
Manager Operations Regional Laboratory Molecular GeneticLocation: Los Angeles, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 869707 Date posted: 03/04/2020
Manages the day-to-day operations for Molecular Genetics, which includes all personnel activities, technical oversight, general work flow and budget. Ensures compliance with federal, state and local requirements.
- Assists in providing overall administrative and technical supervision to the Molecular Genetics department including planning, monitoring, and organizing.
- Ensures accurate, timely, and cost effective reporting of laboratory results.
- Reports all the issues and activities directly to the laboratory manager/director.
- Monitors quality of Molecular Genetics laboratory Services and employee productivity on an ongoing basis.
- Directly supervises and directs workflow of subordinate personnel.
- Ensures departmental compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Monitors selection and ordering of supplies, reagents, and inventory control.
- Provides in-service training and education for staff and technologists.
- Evaluates, modifies, and implements test procedures.
- Assist in maintenance of employee records for attendance, performance, and competency.
- Assist in budget analysis, cost analysis, and actively provides input.
- Ensures continuous communication with staff.
- Provides couching and counseling as necessary.
- Ensures technical expertise by maintaining a working knowledge of departmental policies, procedures, processes, and work assignment.
- Assists the laboratory management team in directing and controlling the day to day operation of the Medical Genetics laboratory and/or quality control assurance.
- Trains and ensures competency of staff.
- Practices a high level of integrity and confidentiality in accordance to Kaiser Permanente rules and regulations.
- Motivates and encourages professional and personnel growth.
- Controls cost by monitoring personnel utilization and material usage rates.
- Analyzes fluctuations in types and volumes of tests and implements corrective actions.
- Assists the laboratory manager/director in directing and implementing effective risk control processes, supporting, consulting, and participating in facility and regional QA programs to ensure internal and external compliance.
- Assists developing and monitoring section specific QA/Risk Management program.
- Develops equipment and system needs analysis as appropriate.
- Assists or leads the development, set up, and validation of Molecular Genetics assays by providing technical expertise.
- Note: Position may require work at non-schedule hours, weekends, and travel as necessary.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a high volume medical genetics laboratory required.
- Bachelor's degree in genetics or natural sciences.
License, Certification, Registration
- Valid California Clinical Genetics Molecular Biology Scientist (CGMBS) or Clinical Laboratory Scientist with ASCP Molecular Genetics license required.
- Familiarity with different Molecular Biology techniques and validation of Molecular assays required.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions provided by laboratory director to review and interpret case results.
- Good communication and interpretation skills.
- Computer knowledge of File Maker Pro, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point applications.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Work experience with all types of molecular genetics testing including sample preparation, analysis, and result interpretation preferred.
- Experience in a supervisory/management position preferred.
- Master's degree or higher preferred.
- Knowledge of CAP, state, and federal laboratory regulations preferred.
- Position requires rotations in all areas of a full service molecular laboratory including: extraction, amplification, Southern Blotting, Real Time PCR, Hybridization, imaging, Array Technology and more.
- Preferred 2 years experience in a full service molecular laboratory; technical capabilities and skills.
- Weekend work will be optional.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Laboratory Careers
Our clinical laboratory scientists, phlebotomists, and lab techs work in both outpatient clinics and hospital settings and have an opportunity to gain exposure to different areas, including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, urinalysis, and the blood bank. We also operate reference laboratories, which serve as hubs for specimen processing and analysis as well as specialized testing — such as microbiology and molecular biology. Offering modern facilities, advanced equipment, and scheduling options, we provide a dynamic environment in which you'll continue to learn and grow.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.