The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
Orthopedics Staff RN IV-ClinicLocation: Los Angeles, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 794643 Date posted: 08/30/2019
Functions as a Lead of the healthcare team, coordinates departmental operations that ensure quality patient care in a safe, healing environment that is patient & family centered. Demonstrates responsibility & accountability for own professional practice. Has appropriate clinical skills to be an expert resource. Is available & supportive to employees & understands priorities/needs of the department. Is a staff role model for professional nursing practice. May recommend to management in efficient resource allocation by assuring appropriate patient assignments, staffing, & scheduling. Demonstrates performance consistent w/ the strategic plan of the organization & the KP nursing mission & values.
- The Senior Registered Nurse demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, & behaviors:
- Leadership: Directs, reviews, assigns & organizes the work of at least three (3) or more employees, of which at least one (1) must be another Registered Nurse OR if the Registered Nurse is the only Registered Nurse assigned to the medical office OR a Registered Nurse in a department where the supervisor is not a Registered Nurse to ensure completion of patient care/department activities. Applies the KP Nursing mission, vision, values & behaviors in daily practice. Understands needs & sets priorities for the department. Provides professional leadership & direction of department personnel in order to maintain efficient delivery of effective patient care. Coordinates departmental operations & delegates tasks appropriately. Is an excellent staff role model for professional nursing practice (e.g. RN/MD Collaborating for Outcomes, Just Culture, Quality, Service, Safety). Facilitates interprofessional/interdisciplinary communication & collaboration. Supports & enhances the leadership skills of the staff RNs, LVNs & MAs. Upholds compliance w/ Kaiser Permanente's Policies & Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities, applicable state & federal laws & regulations, & accreditation & licensure requirements. Champions new ideas; Actively collaborates w/ others through the change process. Acts as a resource, preceptor & mentor to new employees, registry, students, & other team members in department specific operations & patient care activities. Collaborates w/ or refers to manager/clinical nurse specialist any outstanding issues or concerns on the unit. Demonstrates ability to identify & resolve problems in collaboration w/ work team & w/ other departments. Ensures compliance w/ regulatory requirements, policies, procedures, & standards of practice. Upholds the Standards of the California Nurse Practice Act, the AAACN Standards of Practice & the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses.
- Nursing Process: Serves as a resource for clinical concerns, scope of practice & applicable state & federal regulations as well as operational concerns of providers & staff. Possesses exp & skills to be a resource for providers, RNs, LVNs, MAs & clerical support staff. Demonstrates flexibility in work schedule to meet the department demands of the day; facilitates & relieves staff breaks. Actively involved in assigning, orienting, precepting & coaching staff as needed. Encourages completion & distribution of After Visit Summary (AVS) plan including barriers & patient/family education.
- Documentation: Conducts audits & ensures that documentation reflects thorough assessments, incorporates physical & psychosocial findings, diagnostic tests, learning needs, barriers, multidisciplinary education plans & age appropriate care.
- Clinical Outcomes: Participates/leads various aspects of department operations (staff competencies, department committees, Unit Based Teams (UBT), new projects, quality efforts, Clinical Strategic Goal (CSG) activities & educational programs). Demonstrates knowledge of patients' specific conditions commonly seen in the department & care req'd. Interfaces w/ the Chief & DA/Manager regarding performance, as necessary. Actively participates, champions & motivates other staff in quality improvement in patient care, workflow, & improvement in clinical initiatives & working conditions of the department. Coordinates paramedic & emergency medical management of 911 & ACLS transport. Provides input on employees' performance evaluations through daily observation & monitoring of performance. Performs medication verification for MAs & assists/performs audits.
- Workplace Safety: Adjusts/Identifies staffing needs of the department, in coordination w/ department manager, to assure quality patient care, patient & staff safety, efficiency, productivity & working conditions of providers & staff. Actively models LMP Workplace Safety principles & practices.
- Patient Care Experience/Customer Service: Acts as a role model for staff by providing a patient care exp that exceeds members' expectations. Ensures timely & appropriate management of patients. Coordinates smooth transition for patients across the care continuum.
- Team Commitment: Ensures support of the collaborative Labor-Management Partnership environment through unit based teams (UBTs). Identifies & supports staff professional/clinical development needs (i.e. certification, presentations, reward/recognition). Motivates staff to attain their fullest potential in improving performance, attendance, access, service & quality outcomes. Lead/facilitate daily multidisciplinary huddles. Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively & seeks appropriate assistance.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Participates in resource allocation (assignments, scheduling, staffing, equipment/supplies management). Collaborates & assists w/ the Department Physician in Charge (PIC) or Chief of Service, DA, ADAs & Supervisors in staffing, workflow & throughput to promote quality patient care, patient & staff safety, efficiency, productivity & working conditions of providers & staff.
- Message Management: Monitor in-basket management to ensure timely completion of messages. Ensures use of nurse advice protocols for medical problem, same day & symptom-based messages. Ensures patient call back messages are responded to in a timely manner. Assists or ensures completion of in basket messages in collaboration w/ Providers & other staff i.e. in basket support staff, module LVN & Medical Assistants.
- Professional Development: Takes responsibility for professional growth & development. Attends Charge Nurse Educational programs.
- Current CA RN license.
- BLS certification.
- One (1)-year recent (within last 3 years) full-time equivalent experience in acute care, ambulatory care or home health/palliative/hospice care.
- Knowledge of Orthopedic surgery procedures and post-surgical care required.
- Orthopedic ambulatory and inpatient experience preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.