Realize the Potential Inside You
Work one-on-one with patients, family members, physicians, clinicians, and specialists to play an active role in the diagnostic and care delivery process. Leveraging the power of the latest technologies and advancements, you'll be supported and encouraged to realize your potential.
Breast Imaging SpecialistLocation: McLean, VA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 789153 Date posted: 04/11/2019
Under the supervision of the mammography quality program manager and mammography supervisor performs mammograms and breast biopsies following the guidelines of ACR and FDA.
- Performs mammography and other related breast imaging procedures.
- Performs and documents patient assessment/history related to procedures and provides patient care to meet patients' needs.
- Assists physicians (radiologists, surgeons, other specialists) to perform image-guided diagnostic and invasive procedures (e.g.: stereotactic biopsy, needle localization. Galactograms).
- Applies knowledge and principles of radiation protection to achieve radiation exposures ALARA for patients, self and others.
- Applies knowledge and principles of Universal Precautions, aseptic and sterile techniques, to minimize exposure to/spread infectious organisms.
- Maintains manual and computerized patient, department records.
- Performs and documents equipment QC according to dept protocol: recognizes and reports any malfunction or variation to the mammography manager, maintenance or bio-med. Audits processing sensitometry records and other equipment/accessory QC data for compliance with policy and trends/problem identification.
- Provides practical instruction for student and other mammographers while demonstrating effective communicating and conflict resolution.
- Maintains a working knowledge of departmental standard operating procedures to include the use of specialized instrumentation, quality control requirements, and preventative maintenance.
- Assesses medical and related equipment problems, taking appropriate corrective action when needed, including requesting repairs from outside entities.
- Participates in the continuous quality improvement process.
- Schedule mammographic procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be able to cover all NOVA sites. Variable shifts with rotating weekends.
- Three (3) years total of mammography experience, including one year experience with breast biopsy procedures required.
- Associate's degree or accredited hospital based Rad.Tech. Program required
- Graduation from an approved school of radiology required.
- High School diploma or GED required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Registered ARRT required (US-ARRT).
- Mammography Certification required (US-ARRTM).
- Current American Heart Association BLS Certification required. (US-BLS).
- Virginia Radiographer license required (VA-RADT).
- May be required to lift objects heavier than 50 pounds, perform difficult manipulative skills and hand-eye coordination skills, walk and stand for prolonged periods, see objects closely and hear normal sounds with some background noises.
- Position requires ability to concentrate on fine detail with constant interruption and attend to tasks for 20 to 45 minutes at a time.
- In order to work effectively with patients, must have effective interpersonal and communication skills and be able to stand, walk, bend, lift at least 50 pounds, hear, speak, and see.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Imaging & Radiology Careers
Imaging & Radiology Careers
Do the best work of your career as you collaborate with colleagues and participate in continued learning and professional achievement opportunities. With a range of specialty areas in which to focus — from mammography to MRI, cardiac cath lab to ultrasound — and a variety of different scheduling options, there is plenty of room for you to grow — from technologist, to manager, and beyond — in our supportive environment.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.