The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
NP/PA -Preop EvaMG - Short Hour, Tyson's Corner Medical OfficeLocation: McLean, VA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 723677 Date posted: 08/08/2018
- Assesses clinical, emotional, and educational health needs of patients prior to surgery and ensures patient's health is appropriately managed prior to surgery.
- Performs specialized pre-operative assessments including but not limited to EKG interpretation, laboratory evaluations and radiological assessments.
- Educates and instructs the surgical patient, through phone and/or personal interview, utilizing knowledge of surgical procedures and effects of anesthetic agents and completes appropriate forms for charts.
- In collaboration with physician, plans care and assures appropriate follow-up of issues identified in the preoperative evaluation.
- Acts as liaison between Anesthesiologist, Primary Care Physician and Surgeon to coordinate care and provide continuity.
- Facilitates referrals to appropriate providers both internally and externally.
- Acts as liaison with external hospitals to provide and request information as needed.
- Order medication as appropriate.
- Participates in patient education activities.
- Participates in orientation, education, and evaluation of nursing and support staff.
- Collaborates with physicians in developing and periodically reviewing protocols relevant to department functioning.
- Participates in planning for team functioning in delivering the total range of health services.
- Participates in monitoring quality of care according to professional standards and established criteria.
- Maintains accurate records of care and assures confidentiality.
- Maintains clinical competence via education.
- Carries out clinical and administrative procedures that may be promulgated by the Health Plan.
- Travels to other Kaiser Permanente Medical Centers as needed.
- Performs other related duties as directed.
- One (1) year of experience as a Physician Assistant for PA applicants.
- One (1) year of Ambulatory clinical experience mandatory required for NP applicants.
- Master's of Science with graduate level education as NP for NP applicants
- Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant training program for PA applicants.
License, Certification, Registration
- State license(s) valid in jurisdiction where assigned for all applicants.
- Certification in appropriate practice area from authorized agency for NP applicants.
- Enrollment in PECOS required for all applicants.
- DEA number required if practice agreement authorized prescribing of controlled substances for all applicants.
- Written Attestation of practice with a supervising physician on file with MBON for NP applicants.
- Current BLS certification is required from the American Heart Association for all applicants.
- Board Certification from NCCPA - renewed every six (6) years for PA applicants.
- Written practice agreement with a supervising physician the appropriate State BOM for PA applicants.
- Two (2) years of experience as a NP preferred for NP applicants.
- Specialty certification or clinical experience in specialty area if appropriate for NP applicants.
- BS degree preferred for PA applicants.
About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Feb 2, 2018
- Positive Outlook
- Positive opinion of CEO
I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)
Excellent benefits. Great calibre of employees, respectful workplace. Very forward thinking and fosters innovation.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.