Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Genetic CounselorLocation: Modesto, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 704700 Date posted: 06/09/2018
- Assesses recurrence risks and recommends medical or genetic testing based on analysis of the risk, benefit, and cost.
- Provides crisis intervention and psychosocial counseling regarding genetic conditions.
- Makes referrals for ongoing care and support.
- Provides case management for complex genetics cases, including coordinating medical recommendations and management plans, testing, and ongoing counseling.
- Develops, implements, and coordinates a wide variety of genetic programs (e.g., prenatal diagnosis, GDSP Screening Program, carrier screening, and specialty clinics) at the local or regional level.
- Follows guidelines mandated by the State of California.
- Develops and presents programs and classes for pediatric, adult, obstetric and cancer patients.
- Produces culturally sensitive and age appropriate patient and health professional education materials, and participates in community education programs.
- Develops and presents inservice education to physicians and other health care providers regarding genetic services and current medical genetics topics.
- Maintains local and regional statistics, survey trends, and adjusts protocols to ensure appropriate patient referral and care.
- Maintains current knowledge of advances in the field of genetics.
- Recommends/implements enhanced clinical practice standards.
- May participate in research projects.
- Provides input into local and regional polices and guidelines and hiring of new staff.
- Identifies opportunities to reduce costs and increase services.
- Serves as preceptor for graduate genetic counseling students and medical residents.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree in genetic counseling or complete degree prior to employment start date.
License, Certification, Registration
- Must have a National Provider Identifier (NPI), or obtain an NPI, prior to employment start date.
- Must be Board Certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics, or the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) and have a current/valid Genetic Counselor License issued by the California State Department of Public Health prior to employment start date or a temporary Genetic Counselor License issued by the California State Department of Public Health, if not yet Board Certified, prior to employment start date.
- For Temporary Genetic Counselor License, must work under the general supervision of a licensed genetic counselor or licensed physician: expiration is after 24 months or 30 days after notification that applicant has failed the ABGC certification exam and it cannot be renewed (whichever comes first).
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local requirements.
- Demonstrated refined analytic and diagnostic reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to clearly explain complex medical information in both verbal and written form.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Previous computer experience preferred.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Feb 2, 2018
- Positive Outlook
- Positive opinion of CEO
I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)
Excellent benefits. Great calibre of employees, respectful workplace. Very forward thinking and fosters innovation.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.