Support the Bottom Line — and the Big Picture
Create the financial strategies that affect our patients, medical centers, and future. On this team, you'll provide the strategy recommendations that drive operational and process improvement, as well as face challenging opportunities to influence the future of health care.
AccountantLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 840946 Date posted: 11/06/2019
- Prepares journal entries, including appropriate documentation.
- Ensures that general ledger and sub-ledger are reconciled and reconciling items are resolved.
- Prepares account reconciliations and reviews with Senior Accountant and Lead Senior Accountant.
- Prepares schedules, supporting documents, and variance analyses for management and external auditors.
- Collects data, researches and contributes to variance analysis.
- Participates in month end close activities.
- Researches and resolves accounting issues and reconciling items.
- Researches technical accounting solutions for business issues of simple to moderate complexity.
- Communicates issues and resolutions to management and affected areas/departments.
- Monitors work for proper internal controls and SOX requirements and recommends improvements.
- Reviews posting of automated, system-generated entries.
- Ensures that automated interfaces to the general ledger are functioning as intended.
- Identifies and communicates system problems to management.
- Utilizes tools such as system queries and downloads, Excel functions (pivot tables and Vlookup) and Access database.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for change to improve performance.
- Participates in productivity, system and process improvements.
- Maintains desktop procedures and manuals.
- Participates in departmental projects and initiatives.
- Participates effectively in a team environment.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in budgeting, accounting, and financial management.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in business, finance, or accounting OR other bachelor's degree with four (4) years of directly related experience.
License, Certification, Registration
- Working knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to translate data into accurate financial and management reports.
- Aptitude for numbers, organization skills and strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to perform a variety of detailed accounting functions and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to integrate data from multiple sources and determine adequacy for financial reporting requirements for GAAP, Department of
Insurance and Department of Managed Health Care.
- Ability to build good internal relationships within the department and across department lines.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to assist with SOX compliance related to assigned accounting responsibilities.
- Strong spreadsheet (Excel) and word processing (Word) skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Health care or managed care experience.
- Experience in high volume processing centers.
- Ability to successfully navigate a matrix organization.
- Database (Access) skills.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Accounting, Finance, & Actuarial Careers
Members of our accounting team support corporate projects and lend insight to areas such as financial reporting, tax planning and preparation, and audit management. This team also includes our audit professionals, who partner with financial and operational groups across the organization to analyze budgets and streamline procedures.
Supporting critical business functions such as financial services, national Medicare finance, strategic planning, auditing, and corporate finance, our finance professionals develop the strategies that enable us to meet our financial goals.
Applying probability and statistics to the practical problems of insurance, our actuarial team performs a variety of duties, including calculating the cost of premiums and policy values, preparing statistical studies, and forecasting financial results.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Mar 26, 2019
"The best job I have ever had!"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Real focus on creating higher quality, more affordable healthcare. Talented coworkers and great mentors. Fabulous benefits.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.