Research & Development
Innovation in Practice
Operating one of the industry’s largest and most respected research programs, Kaiser Permanente employs nearly 1,800 research experts at 9 specialized centers across the country. With a research budget of $221 million and more than 2,500 studies and clinical trials underway at any given time, this is a place where you can have a profound impact on the future of health.
Associate Director Of Cancer ResearchLocation: Oakland, CA Job Number: 922659 Date posted: 11/25/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
The Division of Research (DOR) of Kaiser Permanente Northern California seeks a senior researcher to become its Associate Director for Cancer Research. This individual will lead one of DOR-s six scientific sections and will participate in department-wide leadership activities. S/he will also maintain an independently funded research program and conduct scholarly research that is recognized nationally and internationally. A key part of this leadership role is to foster collaboration with Kaiser Permanente's program, clinical trial, clinical and operational leaders on studies that evaluate ways to improve our understanding of the risk factors, mechanisms, outcomes and effective preventative and therapeutic strategies across the spectrum of different malignancies in children and adults. The Associate Director may be appointed at the Associate Professor or Professor-equivalent level.
Support and develop the health services research program within the Division of Research, which draws upon Kaiser Permanente's rich clinical databases and direct access to its ethnically and culturally diverse patient population. This program seeks to measure, understand, and improve the effectiveness and quality of health care in a population of 2.8 million members served by 31 medical facilities. Current research activities include observational and experimental evaluations of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of specific medical therapies and of new models of care delivery; area variation studies comparing patterns and outcomes of care across subareas of the HMO and between Kaiser Permanente and other organizations; research on patient factors that influence health care effectiveness, including access to care, barriers to compliance, patient values, preferences and expectations; studies of provider and systems level factors that influence health care outcomes, and studies of health care delivery to and health needs of diverse subgroups in the population.
- Serve as Principal Investigator on major health services and/or epidemiological research projects for the Division of Research. Collaborate with the Director and Senior Investigators of the Division of Research to develop and maintain relationships with key regional and national program leaders of the Permanente Medical Group, as well as with governmental research agencies and academic institutions. Mentor other investigators within the Division of Research. Participate as a leader on the Division of Research Strategic Planning Committee and on other ad hoc committees.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of experience conducting original health services research and/or clinical epidemiology with a large health care organization or university.
- Doctorate in a research area such as health services research, clinical epidemiology, health economics, or sociology required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated ability to obtain research funding.
- Substantial record of publishing full-length, first-authored, peer-reviewed papers, with national recognition as demonstrated through outside letters of support.
- Understanding of new models of health care delivery and the competitive dynamics of the health care industry.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of the impact of medical research on Kaiser Permanente and the health care industry.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Research & Development Careers
Careers in Research & Development
Recognized worldwide for their scientific expertise, our researchers collect data on topics including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, mental health, and drug safety — just to name a few.
In addition to studies centered at these facilities, our physicians and researchers conduct clinical trials of new drugs, medical devices, and other therapies through several organized centers and independently at single sites. Put together, Kaiser Permanente's research centers and scientists comprise one of the largest and most comprehensive nonacademic research programs in the United States.
As a member of this team, you'll engage in meaningful work that has the power to affect outcomes and improve global health. Focused on areas like public-sector health services, epidemiology, and behavioral and clinical research, the work you do will ultimately allow us to improve the cost effectiveness and quality of the care we deliver — all while saving lives.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!