Certified Interpreter Translator (Bilingual-Cantone/Mandarin)
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Translation of written materials into language(s) of service. Reading, researching, editing and proofreading of original and translated materials using dictionaries, thesauruses, reference books and translation memory software and translating the material into language(s) of service. Translation duties will comprise at least 50% of overall duties.
- Provides assistance in developing and administers linguistic proficiency assessments as assigned.
- Performs on-site and over-the-phone interpretation for patients, families, Kaiser Permanente and non-Kaiser Permanente health care providers, who prefer to speak in their primary languages, other than English.
- Completes interpretation work requests as per protocol and provides accurate and timely documentation of work done.
- Participates as a member of the health care delivery team, exercising sensitivity and maintaining confidentiality of employee and patient information at all times.
- Provides expert knowledge regarding the interplay of medical treatment and key aspects of culture.
- Participates in educational programs from medical center staff, members and prospective members.
- Performs as mentors for interns of partnering interpreter programs.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
- Consistently demonstrates the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the incumbent is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- Occasional exposure to inpatients and outpatients who may be experiencing a wide range of acute and chronic medical conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- High School Graduate.
- Candidates must complete a health care interpreter certificate training program that (1) is administered by an accredited educational institution OR (2) is recognized by the California Healthcare Interpreter Association (CHIA) and exceeds 200 contact hours.
- Translation degree or certified from recognized institute required.
- Typing speed: 35 wpm.
- Excellent oral command of English and a second language of service (Cantonese, Spanish, etc.).
- Must be certified from a Kaiser Permanente recognized institution as a Health Care Interpreter and Translator.
- Must demonstrate excellent written translation, editing and review between a source language and a second language of service.
- Must have experience translating health care materials.
- Must have excellent writing and research ability, grammatical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism in a demanding, high stress and fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural issues related to health care.
- Must be sensitive and knowledgeable of the distinction between neutral interpreting and patient advocacy.
- Must pass an oral and written competency exam.
- Excellent computer skills required, i.e., Microsoft Word, Access.
- Must be flexible and able to prioritize multiple tasks
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- QBS Level II Cantone/Mandarin Required.
- Knowledge of Translation Software preferred.
- Previous experience as an Interpreter/Translator in a multi-specialty health care environment strongly preferred.
- 2 years of college preferred.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.