The available position is in Kaiser Permanente Northern California Region's Community Benefit/Community Health department. Drawing on over 70 years of expertise and experience as an integrated not-for-profit health care plan and provider, and leveraging strategic partnerships with local, statewide and national organizations, Community Benefit/Community Health supports a portfolio of programs that advance Kaiser Permanente's commitment to improve the health of the communities it serves. Community Benefit/Community Health provides charitable contributions, supports internally managed clinical training programs and medical/epidemiological resource and leverages the many non-financial assets of Kaiser Permanente to improve community health, with a focus on equity and addressing the needs of low-income communities. Community Benefit/Community Health helps fulfill Kaiser Permanente's mission and plays a leading role in addressing some of today's most complex community health issues including housing and homelessness, mental health, healthy eating and active living, workforce development and wealth building, education, and community and family safety.
Intern Project Description:
Intern will work on one or more of the following activities, in collaboration with Kaiser Permanente staff:
- Conduct research into evidence base and community resources on a range of community health issues including economic security, Healthy Eating/Active Living, access to care and services, mental health and wellness, community and safety.
-Develop scope and focus of individual grants, conduct due diligence, manage the entry and update of grants data in the contribution management system, complete grant summaries to be presented by internal contributions committees provide ongoing engagement with grantees including site visits and tracking active grants, and ensure all compliance and reporting is fulfilled and reviewed.
-Participate in the design, scope, launch, and management of grant initiatives.
This may include framing program goals, activities and parameters, writing and distributing RFPs, working with technical assistance providers and consultants, assisting with convening planning, communications, and evaluation.
Grant initiatives may include:
oYouth and Trauma Informed Care: This initiative supports public middle and high schools across Northern California provide trauma-informed services and supports to youth, teachers, and staff while fostering a trauma-informed culture across the school campus.
oHousing and Health: The goal of this initiative is to enhance the homelessness response system through short-term enhancements as well as long-term strategies based on best practices in the field and beyond. These include short-term strategies for crisis prevention, outreach and engagement; medium-term strategies for housing navigation, services coordination, and administration of flexible subsidies; as well as long-term strategies such as housing stabilization services, tenancy-sustaining case management, and job training.
oParks and safe outdoor spaces: This initiative aims to increase the accessibility and use of safe public spaces in high need communities to promote physical activity, support mental health and wellness through outdoor access, and promote community and family safety.
oFederal Food Programs: The of goal of this initative is to increase the CalFresh (California's Supplmental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP) participation rate by building the service delivery capacity of organizations to provide high-quality outreach and effective application assistance to all eligible individuals and families in Northern California, with a focus on special populations, including immigrant communities, seniors, and working low-income households.
oPHASE (Preventing Heart Attacks and Strokes Everyday): Kaiser Permanente developed PHASE as a population health management program to reduce cardiovascular disease (CVD) among our members and patients. Kaiser Permanente works with our health care safety net partners in Northern California, providing both funding and clinical expertise, to translate and implement PHASE in community-based care settings.
-Develop project plans and timelines with supervisory support and help teams adhere to plans by providing consistent project management.
-Assist in the development of community health improvement strategies and partnerships, working with internal and external stakeholders.
-Engage with internal Kaiser Permanente colleagues to identify opportunities to leverage assets that support community partners achieve agreed upon strategies using our Community Health strategic framework.
-Support the implementation of region-wide Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) Implementation Strategies (IS) including grant making and coordinating community engagement of programs including residency, nursing, and mental health training programs.
-Represent Kaiser Permanente at selected internal and external meetings and conferences.
-Prepare documents for internal and external audiences, including written reports, newsletters, and PowerPoint decks.
-Participate in developing and implementation of evaluation of key initiatives.
- Responsible for contributing high level analytical support to a project or department requiring application of knowledge in marketing, information management, finance, management, economics or statistics.
- This position contributes to a full range of project components.
- Assigned to at least one project and expected to produce results and report out as a member of a project team.
- Organizes assigned project tasks, identifies and structures information collection activities, and sets time lines for completion of required tasks as directed.
- Develops tools to identify and to document best practices.
- Prepares various excel, word or PowerPoint reports, and works w/ access database software (or similar tool) to develop data extracts and management information reports.
- May be asked to produce graphic information using excel or PowerPoint or similar software.
- Contributes to development of management information and analysis conducted, provides recommendations and assists w/ preparation of formal presentations to communicate results to various management levels.
- Identifies alternative solutions to project issues.
- Contributes to development project plans to ensure timely deliverables and successful completion of project and demonstrates an understanding of various business intersections.
- Assists w/ identification and development of training information.
- Enrolled in or recent graduate of a MBA or other Master's level program with an accredited college or university.
License, Certification, Registration
- Solid analytical skills, problem solving, project management and critical thinking.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to utilize at a working level Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/ Management Partnership environment.
Student pursing a Master's degree in Public Health
- Knowledge of SQL or SAS highly desirable.
- Subject matter expertise related to the social determinants of health and policy, environmental, and systems change
- Demonstrated commitment to health and social justice
- Demonstrate initiative
- Efficient data analysis and problem solving
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Team goal oriented
- Experience facilitating meetings in an inclusive and strategic manner
- Familiarity with program evaluation and measurement
- Experience in project management
- Experience navigating databases
- 2-5 yrs work experience preferred
- Prior work in social/health services/ nonprofit desirable
- Able to travel within the Northern California Kaiser Permanente region