Research & Development
Innovation in Practice
Operating one of the industry’s largest and most respected research programs, Kaiser Permanente employs nearly 1,800 research experts at 9 specialized centers across the country. With a research budget of $221 million and more than 2,500 studies and clinical trials underway at any given time, this is a place where you can have a profound impact on the future of health.
Contracts and Grants Manager, Kaiser Foundation Research Institute (KFRI)Location: Oakland, CA Job Number: 900360 Date posted: 09/03/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Functions as day-to-day director of Contracts and Grants Supervisors and oversees work of Research Administrators. Directs workflow, assists with problems, trains and mentors supervisors and staff. Writes, provides input on and gives performance evaluations.
- Oversees the following contracts and grants activities: proposal and budget development, review and submission; contract review, coordination, and execution routing; subcontract preparation and administration. In addition, oversees post-award management including financial consultation and budget projections, personnel reporting, assistance with award reporting, subrecipient monitoring, time and effort reporting, expenditure review and approval, invoice review, approval and follow-up, cost sharing tracking and documentation, financial reporting, and close-out assessment.
- Directs processes for reviewing funding applications for DOR submission to external institutions and to internal grant making bodies. Ensures contracts and grants submissions are accurate, complete and comply with funding agency requirements (including human subject review). Reviews financial terms and conditions for subcontract agreements between Kaiser Permanente (KP) and external research sponsors. Supervises preparation of and reviews summary financial reports and other reports required by funding agencies in accordance with sponsor requirements. Monitors research accounts to prevent over expenditure. Responds to requests for information, provides consulting assistance and interacts regularly with physicians, investigators, research staff and leaders of funding agencies. Represents KP in responding to inquiries from contracts and grants officers. Provides information (e.g., budget clarification and justifications) and documentation to meet agency requirements. Monitors research accounts and develops custom reports to provide specific information to management and other research clients.
- Oversees Contracts and Grants Department processes. Provides input to the development of departmental policies and procedures. Leads process/systems improvement initiatives. Participates on interdisciplinary project teams and groups to evaluate and develop operational policies. Actively participates in system enhancements. Participates and contributes in all phases of IT system implementations that impact areas of responsibility.
- Assists with Audits. Represents Contracts and Grants function in audits throughout the year and provides requested documentation and responses to auditors.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Research & Development Careers
Careers in Research & Development
Recognized worldwide for their scientific expertise, our researchers collect data on topics including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, mental health, and drug safety — just to name a few.
In addition to studies centered at these facilities, our physicians and researchers conduct clinical trials of new drugs, medical devices, and other therapies through several organized centers and independently at single sites. Put together, Kaiser Permanente's research centers and scientists comprise one of the largest and most comprehensive nonacademic research programs in the United States.
As a member of this team, you'll engage in meaningful work that has the power to affect outcomes and improve global health. Focused on areas like public-sector health services, epidemiology, and behavioral and clinical research, the work you do will ultimately allow us to improve the cost effectiveness and quality of the care we deliver — all while saving lives.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!