Reading Between the Lines
From acquisition of products and services, real estate transactions, and new ventures to union grievances, provider operations, and liability claims, this group encompasses all of Kaiser Permanente's legal and government counseling and provides cost-effective legal support across all functions.
Corporate Counsel, Health Care Business LawLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 813110 Date posted: 07/25/2019
Legal position located in Oakland California. The position provides counsel to Kaiser Permanente business entities regarding healthcare transactions. This lawyer will partner with our business partners and clients on complex transactions work for Kaiser Permanente, including drafting and negotiating contracts with institutional providers such as hospital systems as well as large physician organizations, affiliations, merger/acquisition and new ventures.
- Negotiate provider agreements.
- Assist in healthcare transaction legal process.
- Advise Hospitals and Health Plan and serve as a subject matter expert and educational resource regarding health care transactional matters and related laws and regulations.
- Under the supervision of more senior attorneys, provides legal counsel to middle management, senior management and executives on complex and legal issues which have a significant impact to the organization.
- May counsel leaders and management whenever legally unsound decisions or plans are being made or when changes in the law occur.
- Handles multiple legal matters in collaboration with other attorneys and para-professionals. May provide work review to para-professionals.
- Under oversight of practice group management, engages with outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal expertise to KP when needed.
- Prepares legal documents, memoranda and other forms of communication regarding transactional or legal advice.
The position will also work closely with colleagues in other practice areas, as well as with colleagues who support other Kaiser Regions.
COMPLIANCE AND INTEGRITY
- Models and reinforces ethical behavior in self and others in accordance with the KP Principles of Responsibility, adheres to organizational policies and guidelines, supports compliance initiatives, maintains confidences, admits mistakes, conducts business with honesty, shows consistency in words and actions, and follows through on commitments.
- All leaders are accountable for communication, implementation, enforcement, monitoring, and oversight of compliance policies and practices in their departments.
- Minimum seven (7) years experience as an attorney in a law firm or company or in government in one or more legal specialties.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Juris degree.
License, Certification, Registration
- State Bar license required.
- Membership in local Bar Association.
- Demonstrates skillful insight into critical business problems and emerging legal issues.
- Proven ability to render timely and sound legal advice within applicable legal principles.
- Maintains current knowledge of specialty area.
- Must have excellent written and oral advocacy skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Positive personality that will be an asset to the group.
- Comfortable reaching out to others to learn and develop necessary skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in team setting.
Minimum seven 7 years of general health care law experience, including a minimum of 4 years of healthcare transaction experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in the health care industry.
- Experience advising complex organizations with interaction between multiple legal entities.
- Knowledge of healthcare transactions, including provider and managed care contracting, mergers and acquisitions, affiliations and joint ventures, and related laws and regulations (e.g., fraud and abuse, reimbursement and tax exemption).
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Legal Careers
A national organization with practice groups in areas such as business, litigation, labor and employment, government programs, and liability, Kaiser Permanente's legal team provides advice and representation on a wide range of issues. In addition, counsels provide legal advice to management in each Kaiser Permanente region, and an Office of Board and Corporate Governance Services provides support to the Boards of Directors of Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Health Plan and its subsidiaries.
Comprising eight practice groups - Health Care Business Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Litigation, Labor & Employment, Health Plan & Payor Operations, Government Programs, Provider Operations, and Professional and Public Liability - opportunities in this area include Counsel, Paralegal, Litigation & Data Systems Manager, eHealth Business Operations Specialist, Legislative Representative, Regional Policy Administrator, Research Assistant, and more.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.