Reading Between the Lines
From acquisition of products and services, real estate transactions, and new ventures to union grievances, provider operations, and liability claims, this group encompasses all of Kaiser Permanente's legal and government counseling and provides cost-effective legal support across all functions.
Counsel III, Labor and EmploymentLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 756121 Date posted: 12/07/2018
This Legal position is located in Oakland, California. The position advises on the application of labor and employment law and legal risk to Kaiser Permanente-s business operations. This is an opportunity to join an organization whose Mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve, and to have a challenging and rewarding labor & employment advice practice in a complex business and labor environment.
- Under the supervision of senior attorneys, counsel and represent clients on labor and employment law issues, including those under the National Labor Relations Act and state and federal laws governing EEO, wage & hour, leave of absence, retaliation and whistleblower, and other labor and employment law matters.
- Handle cross-disciplinary legal matters in collaboration with regulatory and business attorneys and other professionals and paraprofessionals.
- Evaluate and communicate legal risks associated with complaints, grievances, charges, employer practices, and other legal matters.
- Litigate matters before federal and state agencies, including the NLRB, EEOC, and DOL.
- Engage with outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal expertise to KP when needed.
Collaborate closely with colleagues in the L&E and other practice groups, and with clients throughout the KP Program as assigned.
Compliance and Integrity:
- Model and reinforce ethical behavior in self and others in accordance with the KP Principles of Responsibility, adhere to organizational policies and guidelines, support compliance initiatives, maintain confidences, admit mistakes, conduct business with honesty, show consistency in words and actions, and follow through on commitments.
- Communicate, implement, enforce, monitor, and oversee compliance policies and practices as appropriate.
Advises on the application of the law and legal risk to Kaiser Permanente business operations. Provides legal service to one or more assigned departments or units of the organization. Provides factual information, counsel and guidance on legal questions or matters. Researches legal principles and precedents, consults with outside counsel, drafts and executes legal documents, gathers relevant legal matter related information using multiple sources and methods.
- Under the supervision of more senior attorneys, provides legal counsel to middle management, senior management and executives on complex and legal issues which have a significant impact to the organization.
- May counsel leaders and management whenever legally unsound decisions or plans are being made or when changes in the law occur.
- Handles multiple legal matters in collaboration with other attorneys and paraprofessionals. May provide work review to paraprofessionals.
- Under oversight of practice group management, engages with outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal expertise to KP when needed.
- Prepares legal documents, memoranda and other forms of communication regarding transactional or legal advice.
- Minimum seven (7) years experience as an attorney in a law firm or company or in government in one or more legal specialties.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Juris degree.
License, Certification, Registration
- State Bar license required.
- Membership in local Bar Association.
- Demonstrates skillful insight into critical business problems and emerging legal issues.
- Proven ability to render timely and sound legal advice within applicable legal principles.
- Maintains current knowledge of specialty area.
- Substantial experience and knowledge of the Labor Management Relations Act (LMRA) including advising and representing clients on labor issues before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
- Substantial experience and knowledge advising and representing clients in wage and hour compliance.
- Experience in advising and representing clients in both traditional and labor management cooperation environments and labor management trust funds.
- Experience in the health care industry.
- Experience advising complex organizations with interaction between multiple legal entities.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Legal Careers
A national organization with practice groups in areas such as business, litigation, labor and employment, government programs, and liability, Kaiser Permanente's legal team provides advice and representation on a wide range of issues. In addition, counsels provide legal advice to management in each Kaiser Permanente region, and an Office of Board and Corporate Governance Services provides support to the Boards of Directors of Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Health Plan and its subsidiaries.
Comprising eight practice groups - Health Care Business Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Litigation, Labor & Employment, Health Plan & Payor Operations, Government Programs, Provider Operations, and Professional and Public Liability - opportunities in this area include Counsel, Paralegal, Litigation & Data Systems Manager, eHealth Business Operations Specialist, Legislative Representative, Regional Policy Administrator, Research Assistant, and more.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Sep 16, 2018
"Great place to spend a work day"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)
Friendly professional people who share insights and work together for improvements and success. Excellent pay and good employee recognition programs.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.