Research & Development
Innovation in Practice
Operating one of the industry’s largest and most respected research programs, Kaiser Permanente employs nearly 1,800 research experts at 9 specialized centers across the country. With a research budget of $221 million and more than 2,500 studies and clinical trials underway at any given time, this is a place where you can have a profound impact on the future of health.
Research Scientist - Membership GrowthLocation: Oakland, CA Job Number: 885403 Date posted: 10/22/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Where will Kaiser Permanente's growth come from in the upcoming years? What are the drivers and factors of such growth? Are we investing enough in our sales staff, or too much? How do our customers react to changes in prices, product offerings, or marketing campaigns? These are among the most important questions at Kaiser Permanente today.
- Work on cutting edge inference problems involving a wide variety of data about our customers, products, and competitors to power rigorous decision-making.
- Translate business inquiries into well-defined mathematical optimization and causal inference problems
- Conduct exploratory data analysis to generatesales insights from experimental and observational data. This includes both cross-sectional and time series data types.
- Write and collaborate on production code with other data scientists to implement new inference methods and improve machine learning predictions.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with key partners across the company to optimally deliver actionable insights.
The Data Analytic Consultant provides support in making strategic data-related decisions by analyzing, manipulating, tracking, internally managing and reporting data. These positions function both as a consultant and as a high-level data analyst. The position works with clients to develop the right set of questions/hypotheses, using the appropriate tools/skills to derive the best information to address customer needs.
- Provides direction for assigned components of project work.
- Coordinates, team/project activities & schedules.
- With some feedback and mentoring, able to develop proposals for clients, project, structure, approach, & work plan.
- Given scope of work, minimal feedback/rework is necessary.
- Evaluates effectiveness of actions/programs implemented.
- Researches key business issues, directs the collecting and analyzing of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Proactively records workflows, deliverables, and standing operating procedures for projects.
- Developing specified QA procedures to ensure accuracy of project data, results and written reports & presentation materials.
- Minimum two (2) years of work experience.
- Bachelor's degree in related field, OR four (4) additional years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Working knowledge of policies, practices and systems.
- Frequent use and general knowledge of industry practices, techniques, and standards.
- General application of concepts and principles.
- Full use and application of standard principles, theories, concepts, and techniques.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Advanced degree in fields such as: Mathematics, Economics, Psychology, Philosophy, Political Science, or similar field.
- Deep understanding of applied methods in statistics, causal inference, time series, and/or machine learning.
- Familiarity with Python or R and data visualization tools (e.g., D3, Shiny, ggplot, Tableau, PowerBI).
- Excellent at verbal communication and storytelling to clearly and concisely articulate complex analysis to both technical and non-technical partners.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Research & Development Careers
Careers in Research & Development
Recognized worldwide for their scientific expertise, our researchers collect data on topics including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, mental health, and drug safety — just to name a few.
In addition to studies centered at these facilities, our physicians and researchers conduct clinical trials of new drugs, medical devices, and other therapies through several organized centers and independently at single sites. Put together, Kaiser Permanente's research centers and scientists comprise one of the largest and most comprehensive nonacademic research programs in the United States.
As a member of this team, you'll engage in meaningful work that has the power to affect outcomes and improve global health. Focused on areas like public-sector health services, epidemiology, and behavioral and clinical research, the work you do will ultimately allow us to improve the cost effectiveness and quality of the care we deliver — all while saving lives.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!