Driving Care Initiatives
From designing and leading complex programs to analyzing and translating business capabilities into powerful solutions, your expertise helps shape the future of health care.
Director, Planning and New Clinical TechnologiesLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 852176 Date posted: 12/03/2019
Permanente Federation LLC (the Federation) is the national leadership and
consulting organization for the eight Permanente Medical Groups (PMGs), which,
together with the Kaiser Foundation Health Plans (KFHP) and Kaiser Foundation
Hospitals (KFH), comprise Kaiser Permanente. The PMGs employ almost 23,000
physicians, approximately 90,000 nurses, other clinicians and staff, and
provide care to over 12.2 million Kaiser Permanente members. The Federation
works on behalf of the PMGs to optimize care delivery and advance Permanente
Medicine - medicine that is patient centered, evidence based, technology
enabled, culturally responsive, team delivered, and physician led. The
Federation, based in Oakland, California, is dedicated to serving and leading
Permanente Medicine, the Permanente Medical Groups, and Kaiser Permanente in
support of our patients and members.
The Director, Planning and New Clinical Technologies, leads strategic work with the VP, Planning and New Clinical Technologies. The Director coordinates, plans and supports activities and collaboration that are central to KP successfully realizing the potential of new clinical technologies for the benefit of its patients. New clinical technologies of interest will continue to evolve but will initially include precision medicine and genomics and advanced analytics. This position will work with the VP of Planning and New Clinical Technologies, the Permanente Executive Sponsors designated by the Executive Medicare Directors, and the clinical subject matter experts and operational leaders responsible for the respective clinical technology domain. New clinical technologies of interest will continue to evolve but will initially include precision medicine and genomics and advanced analytics.
This position oversees the development of Permanente-led strategy, governance, clinical priorities, evidence-based clinical decision support, informatics strategy, and other foundational capabilities. This work requires managing by influence across multiple TPF and KFHP departments while supporting and advising networks of clinical and operational leaders from the Permanente Medical Groups. There will be extensive communication, coordination, collaboration with KFHP/H executives and quality teams. The work includes but is not limited to project management, facilitation of discussions by subject matter experts, and the development of strategic frameworks. All work will be done to support care delivery that embodies the principles of Permanente Medicine with the intention to improve quality and value to patients and KP.
- PRECISION MEDICINE AND GENOMICS (PM/G): Support the development of a Permanente-led strategy with PMG leaders including but not limited to overall approach, information/data gathering, analysis, research, meeting planning, etc.
- Organize, influence, inform and manage work on clinical priorities and foundational capabilities, as designated in the strategy.
- Consult and advise executive leaders to refresh and realign leadership teams and community of practice for PM/G.
- Facilitate discussions with clinical and operational experts to develop PM/G objectives in advancing cancer care that leverage priorities and objectives of the IRCPG for oncology, Beacon, and the developing KP cancer strategy.
- Understand and address as appropriate access and use of data from internal and external labs used for genetic testing and genomics (volume, pricing, results).
- Review and facilitate action on conclusions and recommendations from CDC Tier 1 Genomic Applications (i.e. CDC 3) Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer, Syndrome (HBOC), Lynch Syndrome (LS), and Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH).
- Review and execute on recommendations to ensure capacity for timely, evidence-based decision support for PM/G, leveraging existing Permanente staff, methods and resources employed for other new medical technologies.
- ADVANCED ANALYTICS: Ensure PMG influence on the objectives and format of Machine Learning Day 2020 while increasing the utility of related data science competitions; as appropriate and aligned with clinical priorities, increase Permanente speakers and general attendance.
- Convene, facilitate and lead discussion with appropriate FLT/NPLT members and their designated Permanente leaders on advanced analytics, to understand current state of work, infrastructure, collaboration among PMGs and with KFHP, and the charter, objectives and performance of the Permanente Advanced Analytic team.
- Develop recommendations to the Executive Medical Directors regarding governance, infrastructure needs, priorities, barriers, and data use.
- Direct and influence execution on the recommendations and next steps, as approved by the Executive Medical Directors.
- OTHER: Determines goals and priorities with VP, Planning negotiates time commitments and resources.
- Serve as trusted advisor to PMG leaders.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the strategies, approaches, and results achieved to accelerate work and inform course corrections as needed.
- This job description is not all encompassing and may entail other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Minimum ten (10) years of progressive experience in new clinical technologies within health care related organizations including leadership, management, consulting, strategic planning, and project management experience.
- Master-s degree in science, engineering, public health or related health care management field OR a minimum six (6) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma OR General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Leadership experience managing innovation, large scale initiatives, and change management.
- Experience in developing strategic approaches to complex clinical and business opportunities and challenges ability to identify key business issues and develop appropriate plans from multidisciplinary perspectives.
- Proven experience in the ability to effectively work with all levels of the organization from executive leadership to medical center personnel and administrative level employees.
- Availability for national travel 15-35% of time (variable).
- Position will be located in One Kaiser Plaza, Oakland, CA.
- Knowledge of new clinical technologies such as genetics, genomics, advanced analytics, and machine learning.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining effective relationships and leading both physicians and business professionals through influence and collaboration to foster trust and influence key decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively inform, and influence stakeholders to share results, increase collaboration, improve efficiency, remove barriers, and gain support.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Proven project management skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to understand and operate within a complex organization and a consensus-based culture.
- Possess solid problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to structure projects with uncertain (or yet to defined) outcomes and manage ambiguity.
- Ability to objectively assess outcomes and effectiveness of approaches and results.
- Demonstration of successful results with physicians and collaborative teams.
- Experience in managing a large portfolio of issues and projects pertaining to multiple medical specialties, all phases of technology lifetime, and all settings or venues of care delivery.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills and ability to influence others.
- Strong business acumen, depth of knowledge of functional areas of responsibility.
- Understanding of KP business processes and Medical Center operations is desirable.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Consulting Services & Project/program Management (non-it) Careers
Consulting Services & Project/program Management (non-it) Careers
These careers consist of Program and Project Managers, Business Consultants, Business Analysts, and Data Analysts who all work together to effect positive organizational change from the inside out.
Join our talented team and make a difference through performing business analysis, developing business cases, providing client support during system development and implementation, managing projects, or by leading complex programs with multiple work streams.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Mar 26, 2019
"The best job I have ever had!"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Real focus on creating higher quality, more affordable healthcare. Talented coworkers and great mentors. Fabulous benefits.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.