Director, Strategy & Corporate Development
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
The Permanente Federation LLC (the Federation) is the national leadership and consulting organization for the eight Permanente Medical Groups (PMGs), which, together with the Kaiser Foundation Health Plans (KFHP) and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals (KFH), comprise Kaiser Permanente. The PMGs employ almost 23,000 physicians, approximately 90,000 nurses, other clinicians, and staff, and provide care to over 12.2 million Kaiser Permanente members. The Federation works on behalf of the PMGs to optimize care delivery and advance Permanente Medicine – medicine that is patient centered, evidence based, technology enabled, culturally responsive, team delivered, and physician led. The Federation, based in Oakland, California, is dedicated to serving and leading Permanente Medicine, the Permanente Medical Groups, and Kaiser Permanente in support of our patients and members.
Our Commitment to Equity, Inclusion and Diversity: The people of The Permanente Federation support each other in creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive culture. We strive to be empathetic in our interactions with each other and learn from our mistakes. We are committed to strengthening our impact by representing the diverse population of patients and physicians we serve while upholding a culture of fairness and acceptance.
In this position the Director will assess, develop, and influence PMG and KP strategy with an emphasis on care delivery. The role also provides staff leadership for the development and execution of growth strategies that allow for greater PMG delivered integrated care. The role will work both independently and in conjunction with physicians, colleagues and external parties. The Director will collaborate with internal clients in assessing and developing care delivery strategies that support KP’s objectives of improving quality, increasing patient/member satisfaction, and improving financial performance.
- Serve as the business content expert to develop strategies to optimize integrated care delivery for KP by working with internal subject matter experts, researching key issues, collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and developing strategic frameworks and perspectives. Actively search/research solutions in the marketplace to address organizational goals and strategic needs to improve quality, increase patient/member satisfaction, and improve financial performance.
- Vet and lead growth strategies by defining and framing complex issues and translating needs, issues/risks, and ideas into effective strategies, business cases, and action plans. Assess multi-faceted, sophisticated issues/risks and propose alternatives; lead collective problem solving and foster interactions to lead groups through problem solving. Influence subject matter experts and functional leaders to explore new opportunities and/or leverage KP’s capabilities. Work with senior management in assessing opportunities.
- Provide staff leadership and expert consultation on the assessment, design, and development of integrated care delivery strategies. Serve as a trusted advisor to KP vice presidents/assistant medical directors. Interface with Regional Presidents and Executive Medical Directors. Lead internal teams of analysts, consultants, managers, and content experts. Generate engagements that build on strategy work.
- Oversee and direct analytical and project management in support of strategies (including ROI, NPV, cash flow, market analysis and penetration, competitive assessment, risk management and mitigation). As applicable, direct due diligence process for KP including consolidation of diligence findings and assessment of their impact on business considerations/terms. Synthesize key issues, findings, and recommendations in written and verbal communications customized for specific audiences/needs. Develop project plan and timeline as well as the internal and external coordination of team. Identify resource needs and obtain appropriate approvals/funding. Ensure reports and information are accurate, timely and consistent, and that they satisfy senior management needs. Facilitate steering committee discussions/presentations.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the care delivery strategy and transactions pursued both in the near-term and long-term.
- Minimum ten (10) years of professional experience in health care required with business development, strategy, or consulting focus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Health, Finance, Economics, or a related field.
License, Certification, Registration
- Experience in working both independently and in teams.
- Proven experience in the ability to effectively work with all levels of the organization from executive leadership to medical center personnel and administrative level employees.
- Proven excellent project management skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong business acumen.
- Highly accomplished verbal and written communication skills and the ability to tailor messages to respective audiences.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills working with clinical professionals and staff.
- Ability to build and establish solid working relationships.
- Ability to understand and operate within a complex organization and a consensus-based culture.
- Availability for national travel 15-35% of time (variable).
- Hours are 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM PT
- MBA, MPH or other advanced degree preferred.
- Understanding of KP business processes and Medical Group/Medical Center operations is desirable.
- Ability to independently define, structure, and execute complex analytical exercises. Possess solid problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to structure projects with uncertain (or yet to be defined) outcomes.
- Ability to manage ambiguity.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.