Communication & Public Affairs
Drive Our Reputation
We need our brand to stand out from the crowd, and our communications gurus make this possible. They are geniuses behind the bold, positive, and unique Kaiser Permanente brand. We need to add more outstanding public affairs experts to our exciting team to unleash their creativity and ensure our company's reputation accurately reflects the outstanding work we do.
Executive Director, Brand and MarketingLocation: Oakland, CA Job Number: 872955 Date posted: 02/21/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Permanente Federation LLC (the Federation) is the national leadership and
consulting organization for the eight Permanente Medical Groups (PMGs), which,
together with the Kaiser Foundation Health Plans (KFHP) and Kaiser Foundation
Hospitals (KFH), comprise Kaiser Permanente. The PMGs employ almost 23,000 physicians,
approximately 90,000 nurses, other clinicians and staff, and provide care to
over 12.2 million Kaiser Permanente members. The Federation works on behalf of
the PMGs to optimize care delivery and advance Permanente Medicine - medicine
that is patient centered, evidence based, technology enabled, culturally
responsive, team delivered, and physician led. The Federation, based in
Oakland, California, is dedicated to serving and leading Permanente Medicine,
the Permanente Medical Groups, and Kaiser Permanente in support of our patients
The Executive Director of Brand and Marketing is responsible for building the Permanente Medicine ingredient brand identity and marketing strategy collaboratively and in partnership with the Kaiser Permanente master brand, communications and marketing teams and the respective teams of the eight independent Permanente Medical Groups. This person is responsible for ensuring that the Permanente Medicine ingredient brand is appropriately reflected across channels-including but not limited to branding, content, public relations/media relations, sales, marketing-and overseeing creative execution of the brand across the system. Additional responsibilities include developing and executing on a strategy that supports building a strong Permanente Medicine brand and collaborating with local teams to uniquely define the ingredient brand for various internal and external audiences and stakeholders, enhancing the Permanente Medicine awareness across earned, owned, paid and social media channels.
The Executive Director of Brand and Marketing must collaborate cross-functionally with key stakeholders to understand and drive business initiatives through brand storytelling. They must demonstrate proven leadership experience in medical branding and marketing, and in managing external agencies and internal teams, to deliver innovative messaging, content and creative strategies. Additionally, they will be a guardian of the Permanente Medicine brand voice, in support of the Kaiser Permanente master brand, and are expected to exhibit leadership behavior that fosters a positive and transparent culture across the organization.
- Works collaboratively with the Vice President of EACB and other Permanente leaders to direct the creation, execution and evolution of a cohesive Permanente Medicine brand strategy.
- Responsible for establishing and executing strategic plans across functional areas and disciplines in a complex and highly dynamic environment, effectively translating strategies to measurable goals and plans.
- Defines, develops and enhances value propositions, messaging, visual style, tone and editorial direction for the Permanente Medicine brand with both internal and external audiences as required.
- Leads the Permanente Medicine brand and marketing team at TPF and collaborates with local PMG teams to drive achievement of business goals nationally and locally.
- Works collaboratively with the PMG physician market leaders and ambassadors and those that support them to improve their ability to sell Permanente Medicine to purchasers.
- Develops and executes medical group marketing strategies (in alignment with the health plan marketing strategies) to enhance regional and national visibility for the brand.
- Works to align the work coming from the KP and TPF sales, marketing, and quality areas to develop proof points that support overall KP and PM goals
- Collaborates with the EACB communications team and PMG teams to strengthen brand reputation nationally and in local communities.
- Advises on and evolves internal and external communications platforms that deliver meaningful content and fosters PM storytelling at all levels of the organization. Collaborates with the other EACB directors and leaders to ensure robust engagement and communications efforts across all digital, media/PR and government relations channels.
- Oversees and tailors the brand content strategy across channels, including brand level campaigns and content creation. Collaborate with PMG and KP teams to ensure sharing of ideas and consistency of message.
- Leverages market research and analysis on brand awareness, recognition, audience insights and physician engagement to inform strategy and execution.
- Oversees and directs the PM brand client services using agency-style production processes and tracking system. Prepares and analyzes productivity and client services reports to manage workflow and resources and to identify areas for improvement.
- Identifies, onboards and manages key agency, service provider and vendor relationships. Manages these relationships and partnerships to budget and timelines.
- Establishes key metrics to demonstrate growth and expansion of overall PM brand presence.
- Leads, manages and develops a high-performing brand team by coaching and developing existing members and closing talent gaps where needed.
- Creates and manages budgets, deadlines, objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum ten (10) years of leadership experience in strategic communications, branding and/or marketing required.
- Bachelor-s degree in communications, marketing or related field equivalent is required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Multi-specialty medical group and/or integrated health system marketing and brand experience required.
- Experience in developing and managing creative and communications teams required.
- Travel domestically as required (approximately 25% of time)
- Position will be located in Oakland, CA.
- Agency experience in client/account management preferred.
- Master-s degree or MBA a plus.
- Strong knowledge of American health care delivery models and financing preferred.
- Strong knowledge of health insurance sales and marketing preferred.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with senior level executives and various stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions within and outside of marketing, building relationships to drive results.
- Proven track record of working in a fast-paced environment with multiple varying projects at a given time.
- Ability to build, motivate and inspire diverse and highly productive, collaborative teams.
- Ability to deliver financial results for areas of accountability.
- Ability to influence others to action through creating a shared vision and sense of ownership and personal accountability.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Communications Careers
Careers In Communications
Communications combines numerous interrelated departments dedicated to advancing the Kaiser Permanente mission, promoting and protecting the Kaiser Permanente brand, and supporting the success of its strategy, including Corporate Communications, Issues and Brand Management, Public Relations, Media and Stakeholder Relations, Public Affairs, and more — both internally and externally.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Sign up to receive information about opportunities that relate to your interests.