Innovation in Practice
Operating one of the industry’s largest and most respected research programs, Kaiser Permanente employs nearly 1,800 research experts at 9 specialized centers across the country. With a research budget of $221 million and more than 2,500 studies and clinical trials underway at any given time, this is a place where you can have a profound impact on the future of health.
Innovation & Design SpecialistLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 871510 Date posted: 03/18/2020
Designer / Design for Impact / Lifecycle Service Design / Future of Healthcare
Design for Joy - Kaiser Permanente-s Design Consultancy-a
one-of-a-kind design team embedded in the nation-s largest non-profit
integrated health system-is looking for a full-time, mid-level, full-stack
designer nimble and fluent in lifecycle service design engagements spanning
care delivery, user experience, tech+platforms, and piloting+implementation.
Current and upcoming project work focuses on end-to-end service design projects
in telehealth, mental health, cancer care, and beyond. You'll be on the ground
driving work with our members, caregivers, and frontline staff leading the
future of healthcare!
This family of positions are united by the application of human centered design methods and design thinking to complex challenges in the Kaiser Permanente system. They are a fusion of designer and innovation strategist. They work on universal design challenges but at the local level, and then package successes for scale across KP and beyond.
- Responsible for managing multiple innovation and design projects, managing customer relations, and scouting new business.
- Describe the vision of innovation project with teams in to help guide them in conducting background research for the topic to be innovated around.
- Evaluate the background research of topic and guide team to ensure their understanding of the current state.
- Organizes, participates and leads out in observation activities in the assigned area and reports to the team providing insight into current practices.
- Organizes, participates and leads out in the analysis and synthesis activities in the assigned topic designing visual frameworks to be used in the assigned area.
- Organizes, participates and leads teams in brainstorming new approaches in creating prototypes.
- Organizes, participates and leads teams in prototype development.
- Organizes and leads out in the testing of prototypes to be used by the team in Field-testing of new ideas to determine the benefit. Participates in the field-testing activities to determine the benefit of the new ideas.
- Assigns prototyping tasks to team members and participates in the creation of iterative prototypes as feedback is obtained.
- Conduct background research of topic to assist team with understanding the current state.
- Participates in observation activities in the assigned area and reports to team providing insight into current practices.
- Participates and in the in analysis and synthesis activities in the assigned topic designing visual frameworks to be used in innovation in the assigned area.
- Participates in brainstorming new approaches to use in creating prototypes and in the prototype development.
- Participates in the testing of prototypes to be used by the team in Fieltesting of new ideas to determine the benefit. Participates in the field-testing activities to determine the benefit of the new ideas.
- Responsible for the creation of iterative prototypes as feedback is obtained.
- Creates presentations and reviews presentations of others documenting the findings of the innovation efforts.
- Makes presentations independently or with other members of the team in reporting the results of the innovation work.
- Prepares, updates and maintains communication materials, and schedules as developed.
- Prepares updates and maintains content in the IC web site and slide show presentations and assists with the creation of standards or templates for IC presentations.
- Minimum seven (7) years in design, innovation, or related field.
- Minimum three (3) years of managing projects.
- Bachelor's degree required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Human Centered Design.
- Project Management.
- Team Management.
- Advanced knowledge (broad expertise or unique knowledge) of policies, practices and systems.
- Develops advanced concepts, techniques, and standards.
- Develops new applications based on professional principles and theories.
- Viewed as functional expert in field within KP.
- Applies advanced principles, theories, and concepts.
- Contributes to the development of innovative principles and ideas.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Knowledge of health care industry preferred.
- Familiarity with Kaiser Permanente health care system preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Research & Development Careers
Careers in Research & Development
Recognized worldwide for their scientific expertise, our researchers collect data on topics including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, mental health, and drug safety — just to name a few.
In addition to studies centered at these facilities, our physicians and researchers conduct clinical trials of new drugs, medical devices, and other therapies through several organized centers and independently at single sites. Put together, Kaiser Permanente's research centers and scientists comprise one of the largest and most comprehensive nonacademic research programs in the United States.
As a member of this team, you'll engage in meaningful work that has the power to affect outcomes and improve global health. Focused on areas like public-sector health services, epidemiology, and behavioral and clinical research, the work you do will ultimately allow us to improve the cost effectiveness and quality of the care we deliver — all while saving lives.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.