Support the Bottom Line — and the Big Picture
Create the financial strategies that affect our patients, medical centers, and future. On this team, you'll provide the strategy recommendations that drive operational and process improvement, as well as face challenging opportunities to influence the future of health care.
Lead Senior AccountantLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 789384 Date posted: 04/23/2019
- Ensures proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP, Kaiser Permanente policies and internal control standards.
- Ensures that general ledger and sub-ledger are reconciled and reconciling items are resolved.
- Ensures that automated interfaces to the general ledger are functioning as intended.
- Prepares schedules, supporting documents, account reconciliations and variance analyses for management.
- Coordinates, reviews, and approves financial statement variance analysis.
- Identifies and communicates accounting adjustments to management.
- Prepares reports and delivers recommendations for balance sheet and statement reviews.
- May be accountable for the coordination, compilation, and verification of financial reports and analyses.
- Researches technical accounting solutions for new and existing business issues of moderate to difficult scope and complexity.
- Facilitates and coordinates solutions to problems of moderate to difficult scope and complexity with other departments and business units.
- May lead a project team or participate in complex projects.
- Leads work for proper internal controls and SOX requirements and recommends improvements.
- Participates in the development, maintenance and monitoring of policies and procedures.
- Monitors compliance with Kaiser Permanente accounting policies and governmental regulations, including those issued by the Department of Managed Health Care, Department of Insurance, Department of Labor, Internal Revenue Service and Franchise Tax Board.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, coaching, developing and evaluating staff.
- Ensures business continuity through departmental training and cross training.
- Fosters a positive work environment, emphasizing respect for individuals, high standards of quality, innovation, team work and collaboration among business units.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for change to improve performance.
- Responsible for developing business partnerships with internal and external customers.
- Provides education on the use and interpretation of analyses, reports, methodologies and source data to managers/leaders.
- Acts as departmental contact for auditors.
- Prepares, reviews, and approves interim and year-end audit schedules.
- Utilizes tools such as system queries and download, Excel functions (pivot tables and Vlookup) and Access database.
- Reviews and approves desktop procedures and manuals.
- Facilitates and participates in meetings and presentations.
- Six (6) + years of related experience in financial analysis, preparing financial reports, statements, projections and budgeting.
- Experience researching solutions for moderate to difficult accounting issues.
- Experience hiring, managing and developing staff.
- Health care or managed care experience, preferred.
- Experience in high volume processing centers, preferred.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in business, finance, or accounting, OR other bachelor's degree with equivalent professional experience in finance or accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) certification or in progress desired.
- Working knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to translate data into accurate financial and management reports.
- Aptitude for numbers, organization skills and strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to perform a variety of detailed accounting functions and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to integrate data from multiple sources, and determine adequacy for financial reporting requirements for GAAP, Department of Insurance and Department of Managed Health Care.
- Ability to build good internal relationships the department organization, across department lines and with external third parties.
- Ability to perform moderately complex special projects.
- Ability to successfully navigate a matrix organization.
- Strong background in internal controls and SOX compliance.
- Strong spreadsheet (Excel) and word processing (Word) skills.
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Accounting, Finance, & Actuarial Careers
Members of our accounting team support corporate projects and lend insight to areas such as financial reporting, tax planning and preparation, and audit management. This team also includes our audit professionals, who partner with financial and operational groups across the organization to analyze budgets and streamline procedures.
Supporting critical business functions such as financial services, national Medicare finance, strategic planning, auditing, and corporate finance, our finance professionals develop the strategies that enable us to meet our financial goals.
Applying probability and statistics to the practical problems of insurance, our actuarial team performs a variety of duties, including calculating the cost of premiums and policy values, preparing statistical studies, and forecasting financial results.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Mar 26, 2019
"The best job I have ever had!"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Real focus on creating higher quality, more affordable healthcare. Talented coworkers and great mentors. Fabulous benefits.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.